How many acres do you think is the minimum needed?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Dawg-fan-in-TN, Jan 24, 2011.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

WoodMizer .... I have a neighbor that has one, and it makes very nice Lumber, out of Sitka Spruce, and Hemlock.....

2. Jeffersonian

Jeffersonian Monkey

Hello WoodMizer, I have just about every type of Southern tree there is on my land, tons of huge pines, lot's of Oak, red and White, I actually have a few White Birch tree's too best I can tell they may be a related type, I have enough pine to build a lot...not sure how many houses but these pines are huge and many of them. Also have several Black Walnut I have found 8 but really have not surveyed the whole parcel yet so who knows.

Also have tons of two different types of Cedar tree's, one grows very large...the other seems to be smaller with different limbs. But I know there are many uses for the cedar.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2014
  3. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Yep. Woodmizer bandmill. Owned one since 1991, and it has paid for itself dozen times over. There are a lot of cheaper imitators out there, but go with WoodMizer and you will not be sorry. I have a manual LT40 ( the hydraulic versions are not needed IMHO unless you plan to do production sawing, or take it on the road to do custom sawing. I can cut 1,000 bdft/day by myself....actually stacking and getting rid of the slabs takes about as much time as sawing. You WILL need a good farm tractor....30-40hp.....with a front end loader to make life a whole lot easier.

IF you have timber ( got 75ac myself ), then a small bandmill is one of the best investments you'll ever make.

Mills like mine run in the 15k range new, and about half that for a good used one. In 20+ years of ownership, and probably well over 500,000bdft cut, I've spent maybe few hundred on repairs/maintenance.....mostly replacement batteries, occasional carb rebuild on the BS 18hp engine, belts, etc. Blades are your biggest cost if you don't sharpen your own.

Good info on used ones at: Sawmill Exchange
    Read especially the "Before you buy" section

4. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I have just under 10 acres , its like 9.6 . W e can grow about double what we need to support us, some goats and rabbits. Chickens need corn or acorns or both. I fed both ground into a mush like feed. The lake we live on is really the pantry though. It provides so much and it expands our land to include over 200 acres of fresh water fish and birds. I could do it on half the land I have. I agree that having 5 or more acres is important. But what is really important is what surrounds you. I have thousands of acres of Federal forests all around us. Wood for heat and cooking comes from those Oak forests. Deer, squirrel and other animals are there as well. W e chose this place for many reasons .

Dont, tulianr and kellory like this.
  5. billythepoet

billythepoet Monkey+

We have 7ac and are just getting started with goats. We hope to have rabbits, ducks, chickens and a garden soon. Our land is in an isolated area, so I will have hunting and fishing to supplement my homestead if need be.

6. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Depends. I'd like to have 10-15 acres for a BOL location. I think that would be the sweet spot, to ensure crop growth area and privacy, plus defendability.

However, if I won the MegaMillions or Powerball, my minimum will quickly turn into 100+ acres! ;)

7. Darwin

Darwin Monkey

I had a different way of thinking. I got what we could afford (house on small lot) 600 yards from the woods, If it gets to the point where we need to run its 15 minets till we are in a remote BOL I don't own it NOW (crown so I guess I do sortta own it) but I will take it for my own if things get bad and I will hold it (what we need ) by force. Now that was the plan at the time but I am right on the west coast so we are getting money together to buy a lot in a Vary remote area inland and the same rule will work there. You see if things get that bad spending a lot of money on land to me really don't make sense, If thing s have got that bad owning land will come down to who can hold and who can take! no laws. JMO you can buy 100 acres but can you patrol 100 acres? do you want to be 50 acres away from the family? I will spend my money on bullets and preps I can defend aprox 1500 yards square the distance I can shoot.

8. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I hunt a hundred acre farm. It is not a very big place, and I could hit nearly any place on the property, from the cupola on the barn roof with a rifle. Only a couple of places would be shielded by trees. You are only talking 10 acres X 10 acres.
    The original definition of an acre, was the amount of land, that one man and a mule, Could plow in a day. That ain't a very big piece of ground.

9. Darwin

Darwin Monkey

Ok I would never consider a 100 acre farm a good BOL if you can see to shoot that's way to open for my liking JMO

10. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

Jeffersonian I know a couple of people who have Woodmizer sawmills and when I was looking into buying a mill both of them told me that's what I should buy. After a lot of research I didn't buy a woodmizer I bought a Timber King. I like the design of the Timber King better and it had a better warrenty as well. The lumber I've seen from my mill compaired to lumber cut on woodmizer is truer, but you have look fairly close to see it. Bottom line either one will sever you well but for my money if I was going to buy another mill it would be a Timber King hands down

11. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Keep in mind, that a farm needs to be clear space to be efficiently farmed. You just seemed to think that was HUGE, when in fact, from a central point, on 10 X 10 acre farm, it is just 5 acres width to the edge.
    Another farm I hunt is 600 acres, and there would be no problem at all monitoring that much open ground. Woods and hills would make it harder. But still not too hard to do.

12. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

We have 40 acres and you couldn't cover 10% of it at a time. That's were dogs come in you can't make a move anywhere near our farm without them knowing. ;)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    tulianr likes this.
  1. Prepsteader13
  2. Alanaana
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
    A total game changer!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 5, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 2, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
  7. Alanaana
  8. Alanaana
    Media

New_digs

I think they approved of their new digs.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Alanaana
    I 3D printed dome connectors
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2023, 4 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
    Another quail dome after dark.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2023, 5 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Alanaana
    Media

Baby_quail

Welcome to the world, Little One!
  12. Alanaana
    Media

Feeding_time

Quails!
  13. Alanaana
    Media

Flock

Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2023, 2 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  14. Alanaana
    Everyone loves a room with a good view!
  15. Alanaana
  16. Alanaana
    These quail egg clippers are a game changer!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 23, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  17. Alanaana
  18. Alanaana
  19. Alanaana
    Media

First_eggs

I was so thrilled to find that first set of eggs!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 23, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  20. Alanaana
    Media

Free_range

It was a dream come true to have a free-range flock!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 23, 2023, 2 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7