How many spare rounds in shotgun?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by AxesAreBetter, May 11, 2019.

1. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

What, no one singing the praises of the KSG?
    "The Kel-Tec KSG is a bullpup 12-gauge pump-action shotgun designed by Kel-Tec. It has two tube magazines which the user of the gun can switch between manually. Each tube holds a total of seven 2.75-inch 12-gauge shotshells or six 3-inch shotshells."
    Caliber: 12ga 3”
    Weight Unloaded: 6.9lbs (3.1kg)
    Magazine Capacity: 7+7 (2 3/4” shells)
    Overall Length: 26.1” (663mm)
    Barrel Length: 18.5” (470mm)
    Trigger Pull: 5lbs (22N)

Or the KSG25, longer barrel which isn't a bad thing at times and double the rounds...I wonder how much it weighs loaded?
    Caliber: 12ga 3”
    Weight Unloaded: 9.25lbs (4.2kg)
    Magazine Capacity: 12+12 (2 3/4” shells)
    Overall Length: 38” (965.2mm)
    Barrel Length: 30.5” (774.7mm)
    Trigger Pull: 5lbs (22N)

What, no love for the Saiga-12? You stick a high-capacity magazine on it or a drum and you got suppressing firepower. I actually wouldn't mind one of these to play with...

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    Zimmy, 3M-TA3, HK_User and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

That would be @3M-TA3 Who sings the praises loud and proud! LOL
    Actually, i need to get together with him soon and go do some shootin and stuff! It's been too long!

oldman11, HK_User, Bandit99 and 2 others like this.
  3. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

the shotshell bandolero is also great for the vehicle - keeps everything in place and handy for a simple reach - should be able to reload with one hand and keep eyes on the road ...

4. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I've considered the KSG before, would love to have a chance to play with one.

How does the 8 shot compare to the 10?

Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Embarrassingly, as of yet unfired.
    upload_2019-5-11_21-26-2.

6. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Looks badass. Like the color. Assuming no chokes?

Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

A KSG Was on my list last fall, but completing the deal onthe New Place, pushed it way downonthe Want List...

8. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The look is all function determining form. Sights fold to keep them out of the way when packing. The reason for the light is that not everything that goes bump in the night walks on two legs,and for those that do this one is guaranteed to blind. I tried several grips before deciding on the AFG. FDE is because it stays cooler in the sun and along with the FG AFG helps to break up the outline. OD green would be my second choice and maybe first if I planned on staying in western Oregon. Black, even at night, is overrated. Believe it or not black objects stand out like a sore thumb at night if you practice looking for it. What ithard to spot at night is the same thing that's hard to spot during the day.

Got a bunch of parts to try out to see what I like including metal (aluminumand steel) shell followers, extended tube selector,and a combination breacher and choke adapter
    [​IMG]

Choke Mock up:
    [​IMG]

My build thread started last summer: KSG

Time to get busy again on it and test out some loads. Don't think Mrs 3M will be overly excited about me fiddling with guns on Mama's Day, so mebbe next weekend.

Gator 45/70, HK_User and oldman11 like this.
  9. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I'd have to give it the Nerf treatment. ;)
    [​IMG]

10. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I've got one of those nerfs too. Haha.

You gonna make me look into the ksg now!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. Bandit99

Does anyone have any experience with the Saiga-12? I am sort of interested in one. The first time I saw one was overseas and a very rich individual had one laid at the foot of his bed. It was a .410 so that his wife also could easily use it if necessary. The magazine was loaded with some sort of flechette rounds which really caught my interest. Even though they had cameras and 2 armed security guards walking the premises at all times someone jumped the wall and held a knife to their little girl until the wife gave him some jewelry, which btw was junk/fake jewelry. Cops got him but they stationed a few of these around the house.

I would be mainly be interested in reliability. I realize their is some sort of sanctions against Russia due to the Crimean so not sure I can even procure one at this time.

Zimmy, Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  12. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Shame on you 3M!
    LMAO

Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  13. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Some years ago I bought a Mossberg 500. It came with a "riot gun" 18 in cyl bore and a 28" Modified choke. It also came with an interchangeable pistol grip.

Well I just had to try it once - 3" magnum #1 buck with 18" barrel and the pistol grip...

Never again!

14. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I know/have known some guys who have had Saiga, and they say to stay away. You have to tune them constantly.

Gator 45/70, HK_User and oldman11 like this.
  15. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

As much as a semi auto shotty sounds great I don't think I've ever heard of one I could trust my life to that was versatile about ammunition. For me, I'll be sticking to pumps.

oldman11, Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  16. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Let me just say, that when that family of raccoons got into the pheasant flight pen they got a really rude surprise. All 5 of them were dead / dying with in seconds. A lot less recoil than my 870. I could shoot it all day with full tilt buckshot, where as the remmy, it's gonna start hurting after a few tubes.

Zimmy, Bandit99, oldman11 and 3 others like this.
  17. Bandit99

That did it. A Saiga 12 is going on my Christmas Wish List...

Zimmy, Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  18. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Standard, unmodified Saiga 12's seem to run fine with field loads, and not so well when new on weaker (and cheaper) trap loads. I see many Saiga 12's with 10" and 7" barrels from guys with Form 1's that can't leave anything as designed. These seem to be even more problematic until they're sorted out. The big Saiga looks like great fun to run a bunch of rounds through to get them smoothed out and running on anything you feed them. :)

Bandit99, Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  19. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Well they do make an adjustable gas plug for them https://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/CSS_Performane_Saiga_12_gas_plug_6_setting_p/css-gas-plug-saiga.htm

That said, I've not tried to shoot skeet with it. Slugs to #6.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I have an early model Saiga 12. Initially I had some chambering and ejection issues. I determined to shoot 500 rounds of skeet/trap and then worry about functionality.

After the break in period the shotty works great. For an application that required medium-short range focused destruction it would be great. Guard shack? Splintered. Pursuit vehicle? Eroded and perforated.

Probably the only true application is to counter a mass assault. Almost an amateur machine gun that can grape shot tiers of charging enemy.

Bandit99, Gator 45/70 and Seawolf1090 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7