How many use the 99.cents store for buying supplies

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by hank2222, Feb 3, 2011.

Tags:
  1. hank2222

hank2222 Monkey+++

Here in the Ca and the other areas of southwest areas of US we have a store called 99.cents store and do shop there for some of the cabin cleaning supplies in the areas of dish washing and handsoap and bath soap and cleaning supplies in name brands like Ajex and comet cleaning powders and other sprays for the bathroom cleaning and laundry and papertowels

I can get two name brand bars of soap for 99.cents or large bottle of handsoap for 99.cents along with other items ..Plus i do some of the food shopping there for some of the food items like mash potatoes mixs and rice and other little things i can get for a low cost to myself for buying once a week grocery shopping ..

The other day i walked out with 12 bottles of handsoap and 12 bottle of dish washing soap and 12 boxs of bathsoap for about $36.oo dollars and that going to the cabin for stowage and this should be a year supply for me ..The hand soap and dish soap last me a month per bottle and the bathsoap last about two weeks per bar of soap ..

So do you shop at the socalled low price stores for some supplies

2. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

we have a selection of "Dollar" stores to choose from in NC.... i shop them for specific items they have some good food buys as well...

3. MARIA

MARIA Monkey+

I go there to, getting disposable cups, plates et. also snacks and cleaning suplys. I get a lot and store it. I love the antibiotic creams, and the stuff for colds and flu to.

4. Gafarmboy

Gafarmboy Monkey+++

count me in..

Love that dollar store. Helps stretch those prep dollars. But a word of warning. Often you can purchase certain $1.00 products for less at the super market.

We have 4 within an hour drive of us. Drop by every Tuesday (truck day) after work to pick up the weekly specials.

Be Blessed, Be Vigilant
    Gafarmboy

5. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

Just picked up tooth brushes, soap, tooth paste ammonia shampoo and other stuff at the dollar store. fro our long term supplies 6 tooth brushes for a buck cant beat it A life time supply for me for 12 bucks

6. alanz

alanz Monkey+

I used to do all my shopping at Walmart and Sam's Club, but I recently started browsing dollar stores out of curiosity. I went to a place here called "Treasure Hunt" and was amazed at all the great deals. I found canned beans and veggies for as little as 20 cents each! Also found all types of health and beauty supplies.

I think was programmed to think Walmart always has the best prices. Not true. If you look around, you can find better deals.

7. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

WalMart is no way no how the cheapest anymore if you start pricing their products. There's so many of them that they're "convenient" to get to is all. K-Mart is blowing WalMart out of the water price wise unless WalMart's got something's on clearance. We've got a Family Dollar Store and I've been picking up small seed storage boxes from it. I've been finding I don't need most of what's at dollar stores but they're still cool to walk through every once in a while to find that oddball or staple item that I was going to buy anyway for real cheap.

8. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

We have a family dollar here in town and we actually get allot of things there. dish soap, laundry soap, deoderant, chips and a whole bunch of other food stuffs. My wife actually found a great deal on some everyday clothes for working around the house.
    Over in spencer there is Dollar tree, we use that place about once every three months or so and mainly get various school supplies for myself (in college). the food there is ok, nothing to write home about but it is filling anyhow. The one thing we have learned not to buy at a dollar store is batteries............I bought one set of c cells for my radio and when i put them in they were already dead.

9. hank2222

hank2222 Monkey+++

Ok here is something i found out after doing the whole google fu system of looking up the brand name parent company and i found out that lucky brand hand soaps are owned by Dail corp and they put those brands out in low priced stores ..

So my 15.oz sized bottle of Lucky super soft antibacterial hand soap is regular Dail hand soap in a cheaper brand name of the soap

Ajax 15.ox sized bottle of dish washing liquid with lemon is a better buy there at the 99.cents store than at walmart

So some of the products that you see at the Target and Walmart are beening sold at the socalled cheap store or low income stores for alot less than the high prices of this stores..

10. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Anti-bacterial products... regardless of how cheap we can buy them for.... aren't all that great of a choice so it's good to know Lucky Brand is Dial's anti-bacterial hand soap.

11. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

We have the Dollar Store here in PNW. The deals at the Dollar Store are not what it used to be just a couple of years ago but you can still find decent deals.

As somebody has mentioned sometimes you can get the same things at the grocery store on sale for less, just depends on what it is. I mostly buy personal hygiene and household cleaning products at the Dollar Store.

12. hank2222

hank2222 Monkey+++

Down in the area of Ca that iam. The 99cent store has become the main store for the people who are looking for bargins along with you are starting to see more of the highed higher end cars and suv shopping in the place and comeing out and loading the suv and cars with the socalled low brand name and the thing is if you use the Google Fu on some of the brands you find that they are the knock off of the main brands that the high price stores brands .

About two weeks ago they started carrying the pepsi brand sodas in the store that iam going to and they are beating the pants off of the local store in the 2.lt market and now you see Walmart and Safeway and the other local grocery stores are no longer haveing the higher price soda market of $1.58 or the higher price of Safeway store of $1.99 ..

Now that the local 99.cent store has starting selling the 2.lts at the 99.cents and the locals stores have reduce the price down at the Walmart is now a $.99.cents and the Safeway store is now at $1.25 and they still getting beat on the price of the local soda sales ..

13. NoOzone

NoOzone Monkey+

Dollar Tree

I love the Dollar Tree, pick up David's Sunflower Seeds (save 40cents/bag great nutrition) Triple antibiotic ointment (save at least $2), diareahha meds (save $2-3), hydrocortisone cream (save $2 per tube) buy band-aids, gauze, peroxide, and spices. Alot of spices at Dollar General and Family Dollar are 1.5 oz for a $1, where Dollar Tree goes 3.5 oz for $1 for garlic powder, onion powder, pepper and a various season salts, BBQ seasoning, and a great Latin seasoning.

They also carry a six pack of sponges with the scrubber attached for a buck. I try not to buy antibacterial soaps, and opt instead for dish detergents with bleach, which these stores usually carry.

14. oldsoldier

oldsoldier Gadget Master

Here we have Dollar general stores, all for one stores and dollar tree stores. I hit one or more on a regular basis for first aid stuff,dish/wash cloths/towels and the like. Even get "school" supplies on occasion to add to our entertainment preps as well.

15. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

While I haven't purchased much at them yet, our dollar store has gallon size unscented bleach for a good price, and it is as strong as the name brands. I'm going to start prowling their isles to see what other bargains are to be had. Thanks for the info.

jim

16. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

Best day ever!!! I came across this at the local dollar store, and I have never seen it before. Yeah it says they carry this milk on the web, but our store is so small and there is not much in the way of bargins on milk etc. in fact there is not much of anything there worth really going nuts over. until today when I found this milk I hit the mother load!! got 2 huge cases of 2% and whole, and it states on the carton no hormones ! I also got chicken noodle soup in the boxes and popcorn. today was a good gleaning day!
    [​IMG]
    Gossner Milk is Ultra High Temperature processed (over 280 degrees for several seconds) and packaged so that it is shelf stable and stays fresh without refrigeration until the sealed package is opened.
    Gossner U.H.T. Milk comes in Whole, Whole Chocolate, Lowfat Regular, Lowfat Chocolate and Skim. There's also a variety of flavored milks including Strawberry, Vanilla and Rootbeer in the 8 oz size specially packaged for kids. Try your favorite flavor on cereal.
    Gossner Milk is the perfect choice for camping, backpacking, boating, remote locations, school lunches, snacks and travel, as well as everyday use.

17. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

No hormone milk like that is a find. I've never heard of that brand before. I just checked that product out online. I found Gossner's is a local dairy in Logan, UT and.... supposedly they carry a powdered form but the links to where it could be purchased online were no good as references were to it existing and where to purchase it were anywhere from a year to a year and a half ago. I did find a link to their weebsite, Our Milk. No mention of a powdered product that I could find but that doesn't mean it's not out there somewhere. Powdered milk is something I've been buying bit by bit. I think I've got 3 boxes of it. I'd like to have a lot more than that.

18. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

I think this was a great find, we have loved packaged soy milk in these same cartons for several years. I love the fact you can store them and not have to put them in the fridge.
    I bought a bucket of powdered whey milk from costco, it was great as they are in 8 serving packages all in a bucket.Costco - Food For Health
    I saw the reviews, its suposed to be good flavor.
    I also got a few cans of powdered milk from emergency essentials, am gearing up to get 3 cases of it soon as I can. ( 18 # 10 cans )
    I also plan to get several cases of canned milk. we love it on noodles and in sauces. we go through that stuff like crazy.

19. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Please let me know if you ever run into a source for bulk powdered milk that's hormone free. So far.... I've had no luck finding it.

20. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

We have been using Boxed Milk up here in alaska for years... It usually will be good for a couple of years, so you need to setup a long term rotation schedule.

1. Qwertyportne
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. DarkLight
  5. Yard Dart
  6. Alpha Dog
  7. allyn211
  8. monkeyman
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7