How many use the 99.cents store for buying supplies

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by hank2222, Feb 3, 2011.

Tags:
  1. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

will do !! I will keep my eye open :)

2. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

I can not belive my luck, I used to buy this many many years ago but thought they stopped making it as its not found any where here. the last time I had it was when this one store was here but closed down, that was 14 years ago. Im happy as a clam !

3. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

You are so right about rotating!!! I worked with a person who was a Mormon. He was a sweetie and introduced me to the concept of storage and a need to do something if it was only but a week's worth. His wife was a dollface and called me at home and gave me a list of things to always keep on hand. It's been years and I've always rotated out the items on the list she originally provided to me. That also got me in the habit of rotating everything. Habits like this are a very good thing. If it hadn't been for them.... I wouldn't have been in a position to grasp the pantry concept as easily as I did. LDS folk are sharp.... real sharp and.... they're not stingy sharing their time and knowledge either. I keep my 4# boxes of powdered milk facing out on a metal shelving unit I picked up from the curb on garbage day.... yes.... I really took somebody's garbage from the curb. It's a little bit rusty but I've cleaned it up. Anywhooo... I face out the milk and when I buy a new box, I automatically put it behind the others. I keep a black permanent marker by my shelves and write the expiration date where I can see it easily if it's not already visible. Another good habit to get into.

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If you talk to the guy who does the ordering for a small grocery store, he can usually get Boxed Milk from his Supplier Warehouse. Ours all comes from Seattle, thru the Associated Grocers Warehouse... It is in the catalog... I had some last night on my Frosted Flakes/FruitLoops with colocate sauce, snack...

5. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

I always froze my powdered milk ( kept it in the freezer ) it kept well for ever . I had never had to rotate, I just used what I had and replaced when ever I was out. now that Im storing for a long haul I have to learn this. Im having my kitchen redone ( have I said that yet? ) my whole kitchen will be redone in the next month maybe two ( If it warms up) they took bids yesterday! the whole kitchen will be gutted and all new cubboards ,flooring lights will be added . Its being pulled 5 feet out to so it will be bigger. I plan on being for the first time in years able to stock better and Im thrilled. I will actually have the room to store things and know where the heck things are lOL

6. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

no one sells it here and I have asked and no one had it on there order sheets so no way to get it. thats what Im saying, it was a rare find !

7. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Blast.... I just lost a whole post... server too busy or something.

8. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I use the Dollar General here...99 center's has less to offer in the way of foods!

9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

When that happens, "Server is busy, try again" Lots of times you can hit your 'Back" button on your browser, and reload the previous page with all your posting still intact....

10. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Here is one...LINK

http://www.frontiercoop.com/products.php?ct=dfmbc&cn=Milk,+Non-Fat+Dry

Also, try these folks, it may prove to be a good starting point. Also, powder goat milk is far superior in taste and digestibility than powdered moo juice. You can even make soft cheese from powdered goats milk. We like it and the kids, they love it!

11. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

BTPost> I hit that back button and got server busy again. I thought that was supposed to work on firefox too. That's ok... you all survived without links to bulk powdered milk.

Falcon> you and me…. we’re in the wrong business, Shopping Cart - Meyenberg Online Store. That’s $13 per pound without shipping and handling for the good “stuff”.
    [FONT=&quot]Buy Organic Valley Nonfat Dry Milk Powder in Bulk :: Available at shopOrganic, $6.80 per lb. I’d like to find a source for 50 lb bulk so maybe I can get the price down around $5 per pound. Probably wishful thinking. I'd take growth hormone free bulk in place of organic if push came to shove. There is no organic powdered milk anywhere around me locally so I did the best I could and bought the 64 oz Shure-Fine brand.

12. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

25% Off Saturdays

My dollar store has at least one saturday a month with a 20% off everything with a $25 minimum total purchase .... nice savings on those already priced bargains

13. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

Of course I use the dollar stores. All three of the different ones, doesn't everone ? Hank, I saw them first, they are all mine LOL

14. hank2222

hank2222 Monkey+++

How about the ones on the south side of town do you want to go down there and shop at the one on 51st ave and a couple more down in the getto areas of the west side of Phx

15. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

We're too good for a 99cent store, we use the DOLLAR store ;-) Dollar Tree to be precise.

16. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I only use Tom's toothpaste since it doesn't have fluoride, or I use tooth powder made with all natural ingredients. I wish the dollar store sold this stuff!

Still, I like the dollar store. I can find some great deals there.

17. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

I was thrilled to find that my local doller tree had the milk in cartons that are storage safe. then I had my bubble popped since every time it comes in a man comes and buys it all out, that's why I have never seen it there! So I got on line and ordered 60 of them, I plan to go get another 60 in 2 weeks. and they deliver it to my local store for me for free!Now my day is complete Im thrilled. I guess the older guy that comes in and gets it must love it or is stocking up to LOL

18. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

dollar tree,
    60 1 quart milks ( storable :) I ordered on line!( free shipping)

19. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

We like how our Dollar Tree has Arizona green tea in big 42 fl oz bottles. I'm also a sucker for the maple leaf cookies they usually have. Also a good place to get batteries, (basic) headphones, and lots of other odds and ends.

20. Wolfgang2000

Wolfgang2000 Monkey++

I haven't used a "dollar" store. But in the next town over that is a store that is run by Mennonite's. They sell the can items that other stores pull of the selves for various reasons. Like dented cans, passed the "best buy" date, etc. They usually are selling for 25 cents on the dollar.

They also stock the big bulk items, like the 50# sack of beans, flour, rice, even powered milk.

My wife just separated a 50# sack of powered milk. She puts a single serving in a zip lock bag, partially sealing the zip lock. Then puts 2 serving bags in a vacuum sealer bag and vacuum seals it. We then put the vacuum sealed bags in buckets.

1. Qwertyportne
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. DarkLight
  5. Yard Dart
  6. Alpha Dog
  7. allyn211
  8. monkeyman
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7