How much alcohol if any

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by oldman11, Jan 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

i don’t know if this has ever been brought up,how many have alcohol in their preps and how much? While I’m at it how many smoke and have cigs in their preps? I’m 75 and it would be hard to do without my Jack Daniels and smokes.

Seepalaces, oldawg, Ganado and 3 others like this.
  2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Medicinal Only, Apply as Needed

3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

One handle of Whisky and a few pounds of Pipe Tobacco is a standard load out for this fella! Gotta have a few comforts!

Seepalaces, Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  4. Out in the woods

Out in the woods off-grid in-the-forest beekeeper

I grow some tobacco. I make some alcohol.

Seepalaces, Motomom34, Alf60 and 5 others like this.
  5. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

We just added a still, plus wine and beer making equipment, and called it good.

6. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

'Bout half a dozen bottles Tequila, dozen bottles Crown, 2 or 3 of JD. Don't drink a lot of liquor but who knows how much will be left by the time SHTF. Figured it for trading material and was stockpiling it around the holidays when it was on sale - until the wife started getting pissed at my buying all that liquor.

Actually been looking for a source of half-pints by the case. Might be easier to trade off. Can't seem to find any.

7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

A lot.
    It can be traded, can't really be used against you, it doesn't go bad, as far as I can tell it doesn't lose value, I find it can shorten a head and chest cold and can make water safe to drink with out boiling it.

Seepalaces, oldman11, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  8. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Don't drink but have about a case of assorted liquors that have been given to me over the years. I rotate 12 pouches of cigarette tobacco each year and have the rolling papers to go with them. I can see the day that the tobacco becomes worth it's weight in gold quite literally.

9. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

Don't have any spirits or liquors for personnel consumption in any of my preps. I have absolutely zero tolerance towards anyone that is intoxicated. They are a PITA when the times are normal. How much worse would they become when TSHTF?
    Having these in your preps for barter is not a good idea. You trade the booze you have, the individual/s become drunk, finish of the fifth of whatever you traded. They want more. Where are they going to go back to to get some more booze? Why, you of course, but this time they have nothing to trade. The one thing alcohol can made anyone feel is invincible. So now,you have to deal with their deadly nature. Sorry, booze for consumption will only get you in trouble.

Now, as for alcohol to make life a little easier during the hard times as a source of fuel to power the engines that are in our tractors, gleaners, and other farm machinery or older vehicles with carburetors is a hole different matter.

10. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Of course, I have Scotch in my preps! The damn problem is keeping it there, seems to rotate much more frequently than the rest of the stuff...

Actually, thinking about it, a case of handles (6 ea.) of the cheapest vodka might not be a bad idea...

11. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Do don't touch any of it my self

12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

We keep some around, How much I don't know off-hand, Haven't bothered with it since New Years

13. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I order a case of scotch every 2 years. so I guess it depends on how much you drink. the problem with glass bottles is... they r glass. Some of the new packaging is in plastic but I'm a bit of a snob I can't bring myself to drink out of plastic scotch bottles. I don't know why.... just can't do it.

14. duane

duane Monkey+++

Have tobacco seed and a small amount of 180 proof alcohol. The luck I have with the neighbors and their addicted kids in normal times, I do not want them to ever consider my place as a resource to fuel their addictions. Grand dad used tobacco to kill bugs in his garden, worm animals, smoked some of it, and used it as a stimulate in medicine but I never did learn how that was done. A lot of the herbal medicines come out better in alcohol tinctures, elderberry comes to mind, and it used to be used in the hospitals to bring down fevers and as a kid in a hospital, we got an alcohol bath every day, I think mostly to prevent infections and keep any bug diseases down. I wish I knew half of the tricks that that the Dr that delivered me did. He was a combat surgeon in WW1 and lost a leg, practiced medicine most of his life with no real test equipment etc, did most of it from his house, and probably forgot more than anyone knows about primitive medicine today. The old tools in medicine seem to be the best for primitive conditions, green soap, carbolic acid, vinegar, bleach, the herbs that work, "guest quarters" to prevent bugs and skin diseases, quarantine, limited contact with outsiders and their clothing, eating utensils, human waste, etc could once again be the difference between life and death.

15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Considering alcohol was used very much from roman times up through the 1800s aid water sanitation it's probably a good idea to copy what the old timers were doing. Or die trying to reinvent the wheel, it matters not to me.

tacmotusn, Seepalaces, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  16. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Don’t smoke at our house. Primal Blueprint acknowledges that very moderate (1-2 drinks/day) regular consumption is shown in the research to correlate to a bit healthier, longer life so PB condones modest consumption if one desires. Is it the alcohol itself or that it seems to accompany a chilled, lower stress lifestyle? I don’t really care, we enjoy a drink or two in the evening.

Anyway, I think having some alcohol in the pantry isn’t a bad idea. What do I stock? I have gone low cost. Sam’s Club vodka is like just 14-15 bucks for a 1.5 liter bottle. It can be used for sterilization and medicinal purposes as well. Have a half dozen or so. Early Times bourbon is also comparatively crazy cheap. Not the best sippin whiskey but is drinkable over ice and better than nothing. Also like just 15-16 bucks for 1.5 liter plastic jug at Sam’s (at least at a Sams in the midwest) Have 6-8 of those tucked away as well for a bit of stress lowering relaxation by the fire at day’s end.

We too can make wine. Brewing beer from raw grain is far more work and requires much more equipment and technique. When I get a few other projects completed I may explore that more.

AT

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  17. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I have experience making beer, wine and spirits.

I don’t keep much on hand but I can make on demand out of any grain or fruit available.

I even made hackberry beer one year as a test. Taste was good and fermentation was very active without added sugar. I only made a pint, though. Not enough to distill.

I’ll need these skills in my Thunderdome style trading post.

18. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Just a couple of bottles of rum and one of tequila...and they were gifts. Not much on drinking, but they could be used for medicinal/psychological treatment. :)

No plans to barter them.

Got a few humidors with a variety of cigars aging...they'll last quite a while, SHTF or not.

19. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Tobacco seed and a still. Good to go if I can find some pot seed and dancing girls. I'll be a one-stop shop. Don't use any of it myself. All for barter.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  20. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I’d be tickled if I knew how to grow tea, tobacco, and coffee here near Dallas. I’ve never heard of it being done here

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. Ganado
  3. Dunerunner
  4. john316
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Ganado