How much alcohol if any

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by oldman11, Jan 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I'm pretty close to being a teetotaler, but alcohol has trade and medicinal value. Medicinally it can sterilize wounds and implements and also can be used as a pain killer and muscle relaxer.

arleigh, Ura-Ki, Ganado and 1 other person like this.
  2. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

YUP

Same here , Vodka or gut rot , ya I can , but for fuel I can see .
    I have bougt cases of wart in cans & bags of sugar plus , just for this .
    I agree , its not to barter , it's for the house only .

My type of Lady !!

Ura-Ki, Ganado and oldman11 like this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I had a big bottle of Everclear for medicinal purposes but someone drank it. I never replaced it and won't. I detest alcohol.

4. duane

duane Monkey+++

Oil Pan 4 brought up a good point, read a couple articles that pointed out that in early times, people who drank beer and wine were the healthiest, had nothing really to do with the beer or wine, but the brewing process, etc and keeping it from turning into vinegar, destroyed almost all disease causing bacteria. In addition it does contain some food value and calories. I sometimes wonder how many of the old time myths, old wives tales, etc, actually were very pro survival, we just don't understand the real reason behind them. Bad air for example is not a cause of disease, but describing a swamp as having bad air and building your house on the hill and its good air, kept you from getting all kinds of mosquito, etc, diseases as well as water borne diseases. Alcohol may fall into that group. Growing grain or grapes, storing them for winter, moderate consumption of alcohol, the food value, minerals, anti oxidants, etc, and consumption of animals fed the by products of the brewing process, might be a lot of survival factors there that we just don't realize or consider anymore. Lot to be said for paying tribute to the local ruler, if things fall apart, in grain, beer, or wine, rather than one of your sons or daughters.

5. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

2 pints of Jameson in the go bag forever

6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

There is something to be said for good health! We used to drink a Pint of Guinness before mission, the nutritional value and energy are well documented! Germans Drink Schnapps all the time, and the values can be as psychological as physical! It's been long believed a shot or three will ease stress, embolden, and warm you, weather true or old wives tails matters naught, it is known to work! Beyond that, the value to the human body goes much further, it cleanses your system, helps you fight off germs and infections, and helps prevent sickness! It also helps your body convert natural sugars, convert stored fat to energy, and process electrolytes. There are many more benefits, depending on the type of fermentation! Red wines show some of the best benefits, but beer and liquor also show well in different categories! Much like we now understand about Coffee, Tea, and Chocolate! In moderation, all WILL help!

Gator 45/70, oldman11 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  7. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

As far as I know, without making wine you cannot make vinegar.

Way too many prep skills involve vinegar. Everything from health to food preservation to cleaning. The list goes on and on.

Everyone should have at least rudimentary wine making skills for this purpose even if a teetotaler.

Gator 45/70, Cruisin Sloth and Ura-Ki like this.
  8. smithcp2002

smithcp2002 Monkey+++

Must have some around to make cider or wine to make vinegar. For medical is a hole different story.

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  9. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Wine/Beer is made without being exposed to O2, both wine & beer will turn, and even my humming bird sugar water turns to vinegar after a while.
    And yes you can make vinegar without making it into wine first.
    Rancher

10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I think i just need to drink more
    [​IMG]

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I cant stand the smell beer though i've had friends the drank it like water, not my cup of tea.
    I'm not a drinker ,never had been, but I know the value of how alcohol works and though I store several different bottles, it's for barter and medicinal use , maybe a dozen or so , it's not a priority.
    I know how to distill , however my interest is in purifying water .
    For dealing with injuries I prefer to use colloidal silver in stead because it is significantly better than alcohol . I use distilled water for making colloidal silver .
    However I must admit that from the to time when my back muscles were aching ,a glass or 2, of wine just the moment I'm getting in bed helps things to relax ,and I can get some sleep.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

We keep One Quart of EverClear, usually used to test Pectin levels in Jelly... and for Medicinal Purposes.... Our first one lasted 15 Years, and we are still on the second one... That is it for Drinkable Alcohol... a few Gallons of denatured Alcohol, and Isopropyl Alcohol, but that is IT....

Gator 45/70 and Meat like this.
  13. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Zero is the amount I keep. I don’t judge anyone that does. We all are created different. *secretly judges* :D

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Just what is wrong with two or three or four or——drinks after five o’clock anyway???

Gator 45/70 and Meat like this.
  15. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Nothing. Remember though I’m half Norwegian and half Finnish. I don’t have poor judgement with alcohol I have nooooooo judgement. Rather not stock the stuff. :D

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Everclear up top, plus 1 or 2 bottles of absenth mixed in there somewhere.
    That's just the wine rack.
    20180211_051408.

Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. Ganado
  3. Dunerunner
  4. john316
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid