How Much Ammunition?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Seacowboys, Aug 28, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I shoot quite a bit, especially my 7.62 Nato rifles. Surplus ammunition seems to be getting harder to find. I have finally opted for the buy two-shoot one scheme. I buy two cases of ammunition, we shoot one of them and put the other away. It doesn't seem like I am spending that much and my ammo stockpile is steadily growing. I extend this even to .22 ; if I want to shoot a brick, buy two.

2. poacher

poacher Monkey+++ Founding Member

Sc.

I am still seeing a bunch of 7.62 around here. It may not all be the recent SA production but it's not the old 47 corrosive crap either. I will admit that finding current SA ammo is becoming more of a chore however. I do like your buy two burn one theory and I will have to start doing that for some of the stuff that I don't load for.
    Take care Be safe Poacher.

3. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Kinda like food and supplies.... buy two cans or two packs of TP when you go.... pretty soon you have a nice supply....;)

4. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Ya, that's about what I started doing. Only I have one advantage. I also picked up a part-time job at one of the local ranges, one of the perks is the ability to by pretty much everything they have in the store at "cost" - even the ammo. Sooo, about once a week I pick up 500 rounds of "range" ammo, shoot about 100 - 150 rounds and bring the rest home. May not be the best for general self defense, but in a SHTF situation, I want anything that will go "BANG" and hurt the bad guys :D

Next up, is a couple of firearms, but the wife says we need to get our emergency fund back up first - we had some car trouble and some medical bills come in and kick us in the backside. Fortunatly with the extra income from the job the EF will be back to full in just a couple of weeks, then I can order the firearms :)

Ryan

5. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

I keep asking myself, when to decide I have enough stocked up? I don't get to the range as often as I'd like. When I do I burn about 500 rounds in different calibers, of course. But, When I know I'm going I usually go pick up more first. This keeps the home supply up and only if I have some stuff I want to get rid of do I take along any of the stash.

If I'm at a gun show I'll pick up a couple cases of 7.62 NATO and some 7.62x39 for the SKS. I haven't any semi-auto for the NATO ammo, but I buy it anyway as we have enough other rifles around that do shoot it.

I own a few M1 Garands that shoot 30'06. At least once a year I get up to the CMP north store and pick up more '06 ammo. Checked the closets where I store it and see, if I can get another case or two this fall I'll be about full up.:D

6. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

South African mil-surplus is still in steady supply here, $30 a Battlepack and $200 a case (7 Battlepacks). Not sure who has the best deal on the Web for SA, since I get SA locally. As of late, all the ammo I've been buying has been added to my surplus. I'm sure what I have stocked up some would shoot in just a couple visits to the range.

7. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Since I haven't been shooting in a while all I am doing is stocking up. :(
    I do tend to buy extra, with everything. Extra canned food, TP, deodorant, ammo, etc. etc. One problem is finding the deals, the other is finding those that have them in stock.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/55grn_FMJ_.233_5.56x45.html

8. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

9. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhshhhh never tell about how much you have, just how much more you need :lol:

10. ricdoug

ricdoug Monkey+++

My wife and I like the .357 Magnum for rifle and pistol...

Ruger SP101 Snubbies for CQB and throw the same cartridge in a Model 94 Winchester lever action carbine and it wakes up and turns into a monster! This allows us to store a lot of interchangeable ammunition. Ric

1. T. Riley
  2. duane
  3. OldDude49
  4. oil pan 4
  5. Oddcaliber
  6. deMolay
  7. Grandpa Patch
  8. Bishop
    Thread

Socket mold

Here is how I make my slingshot ammo with a socket. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Dec 2, 2018, 6 replies, in forum: Bushcraft