How often do you use your BOB?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by monkeyman, Nov 22, 2005.

1. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I was just curious how often the rest of you use your BOBs. Do you use yours on a regular basis (like say once a week or more), just when you forgot something that you also have in the BOB, just on occasion to test it out, its reserved for emergency use only, or what?
    I know I use mine pretty regularly. I keep a mess kit in it along with some quick easy foods, first aid stuff and so on as well as a foot locker in the truck with kind of supplemental stuff for the BOB like rain gear, change of cloths, and more food and such. I work outside and never know when I go to work if the day will be long enough to bother with a lunch break or if we will be near a place to grab a bite so like today, we were in a town that has nasty tasting water so I used my filter bottle to have decent drinking water, and since we had a full day with some down time for lunch (about 30-45 min) I pulled out the trioxine bars and mess kit and heated up water and made a couple cups of soup for lunch. When I was hunting last week I misplaced my lighter so I grabbed the spare out of my BOB and some of the fluid to fill it, ran out of smokes in the field so I got into my smokes that I keep in there. I'm constantly using mine (and replenishing it) and was just wondering how many of you do the same.
    Oh and this is also how I got reminded of a basic thing I had over looked...spoon and fork, while I have knives in it I had overlooked any other silverware, its also how I figured out that I had to put more appealing foods in it since I had the rice and some sustenance like that but even when I was hungry and wanted to eat and that was all I had with me I decided I would rather be hungry for several hours more than eat plain rice (I hate plain rice [yukface] ).
    So how often dose you kit get used or how dose it get used?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2014
  2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I use mine as frequently as possible, although living here in Florida I do not get out to field test as much as I would like...

Up north I lived in the woods, but down here there really is nothing except insects and sand. I use a vietnam era jungle hammock and mil spec poncho and just sleep in peace while wrapped inside my halo 3 sleeping bag (on colder nights). But I have to tell you, I miss just laying down in the woods next to a small campfire.

I use my foods sometimes. I often buy some tuna fish in the new foil sealed packages. They have a shelf life of about 8 years and are high in protein and calories. I break into my cans of spam every once in a while when I run out in the pantry. I don't ever eat my survival tabs, though. Those darlings are way too valuable to just munch on unless it was a life threatening situation. :cry: They taste like malt balls, and are very nutritious.

I used to have a supply of Mountainhouse freeze-dried foods, but I got on a camping trip or two and ended up eating all of them. Man those suckers are tasty. I could be a salesman or representative for that company with all my devotion to their products. Have to buy more I guess...

I still have a few ER bars laying around. No way in hell am I going to eat those things unless I was on my deathbed. :D

As for general kit, I would say that I end up using my first aid kit quite often. [peep] I also use my sharpening stones and gun cleaning kit. So far I have tested and used most of my equipment inside my BOB. If it is mil spec (and most likely is), I have used it frequently enough while I served, and if it is a new item I know that it will hold up fine regardless if I use it or not. :D

3. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Quig, have you tested any of your stuff yet?

4. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Not yet EL, I will be snow hunting high in the mnts soon and it will be with me 24-7 for the hunt.

5. E.L.

This is Quigs.
    bug_out_kit_4__medium__209.

6. E.L.

Awesome Quig, I can't wait to get some reviews back on what works and what doesn't.

7. monkeyman

So on that tube tent, dose it have flaps that come down to close it up or is it just a piece of plastic/tarp that you run a cord through? I generaly just carry the heavy mil plastic along with duct tape and cord to make my own as the situation dictates but wasnt sure it that might close up better than most improvised ones since it looks to be pretty compact.

Hmmmmmm....I wonder if anyone here would benifit from an improvised shelter thread? Not so much the hut and yurt building as just makeing a puptent out of a piece of plastic or even 2 or 3 trash bags and some duct tape or what ever...kind of like the boyscout stuff with the canoes and such. I waould assume most here would already have some favorites for this kind of thing but maybe even just a 'show yours here' type thing...may have to toss up a couple and take pics to post and get that going.

BTW; Nice basic kit. How dose it carry? Is it a shoulder bag or just fit in a pack or is IT a pack or what?

8. E.L.

Yes, but it does have a floor. The bag is just a small tool bag, believe it or not all of that stuff fit it in it. For a small emergency bag, it contains a lot. This stuff isn't high quality stuff, but hopefully will work in a pinch a time or two.

9. monkeyman

Thats really the main thing especialy for a car kit or anything. I mean if you were setting up a kit that you planned to have to live out of for months or something it would be different but the biggest thing on kits to me is generaly to have what you would need to get by for a couple of days in adverse conditions when the unexpected happens.
    If I set up a tarp tent then most of the time I devide it basicly into thirds and use one section for the floor and the other 2 for walls, its just kind of a pain in the butt to get the 'doors' at the ends to work right to close up enouph to keep out bugs, driven rain or snow and cold breezes and still be able to get out and relieve a bladder in the night and back in without a huge hassel. Now that I have a shell on my truck I keep a small pup tent in the truck but it wouldnt be carried on me unless I knew in advance I would need it just because even the little ones like that are a bit bulky and anoying to carry, thats why I was wondering how the tube tents were set up.

10. E.L.

With any advance notice I will be carrying my big tent, with Coleman equipment, etc. I do have a nice small two person tent though that I SHOULD keep in my pickup. This kit is just to get by in a pinch.

11. Brokor

I use a Halo 3 sleeping bag, a vietnam jungle hammock, and a mil spec. rain poncho for a shelter. I tie up the hammock and suspend the poncho over top as a roof and windbreak and crawl inside with my sleeping bag. Best part? It all weighs less than 2 lbs.

That aluminum mess kit is junk. You will find out when you use it. If I were you, I would buy the stainless steel mess kit or go to your local military surplus shop and buy a mil spec mess kit. [beer]

12. monkeyman

That must be a different type hammock than I think of from that, the one Im thinking of is canvas with screen sides and top and the one like that I have seen by its self weighed closer to 10 lbs. I dont know though it may have been an earlier version of it.
    As far as a mess kit I have one of the ones from Cheaper than Dirt, I think its the Austrian one. Its aluminum I think but works pretty well, have used it several times.

13. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I'll post on this later.

I use my vehicle BOB all the time.. so much so that I sometimes forget to replenish it and am without ... sy.. a banaid when I need one.

14. Brokor

MY COMPLETE LIST, WHAT I HAVE READY TO GO (My BOB)

Tactical Vest:

- First aid kit on belt pouch
    - Wind up flashlight in pouch
    - Earplugs in case with inserter
    - Combat knife 12" tanto with kydex tactical sheath
    - Seal throwing/multi use double bladed knife
    - US Army issue leather gloves
    - Canteen w/ biological adapter for Israeli M15 gas mask
    - Multi-tool pliers, wire saw
    - 8" hunting/skinning knife
    - LED flashlight, tactical lenses
    - Belt ammo pouch
    - Sunglasses, footpowder, camo stick, magnesium firestarter
    - Arkansas sharpening stone
    - SW radio -AAA battery design 4" x 2 1/2"
    - Lensiatic compass
    - Platypus water reservoir (optional)
    - Maps (optional)

Leg Packs:

(left)
    - Tasco optics 8x21 binoculars, cleaning cloth
    - Snow goggles/multiuse eyewear
    - Gerber 3" folding knife
    - Snake bite kit
    - Spare flashlight bulbs
    - Notepad, paper, pen, spare identification, badge, military ID
    - Electrical tape (1/2 roll)
    - Potable aqua water purification tabs
    - Sewing kit, extra needles and thread
    - Natural bug repellant
    - A couple green tea bags
    - Light hooded poncho
    - Headband
    - Emergency blanket for victim
    - Extra earplugs in case

(right)
    - 1 Israeli M15 protective (gas) mask w/ new filter
    - 1 combat impact resistant butane lighter
    - 4 glow sticks
    - 1 MRE heater

Buttpack:

- 1 T-Shirt, 1 Pr. Socks, 1 Glove inserts in waterproof bag
    - 1 folding water bag (carries water from stream to camp)
    - 1 Pr. socks outside bags
    - 1 4 oz. bottle of camp soap (multi purpose)
    - 1 Pr. woodland camo rip stop BDU pants
    - 1 diamond stone knife sharpener
    - Mini survival kit in waterproof bag *(see below)

* tea candles, firestarter sticks, fish hooks, line, wilderness plant guide N. America, toilet paper, eating utensils.

(The buttpack would go inside my Web-Tex PLCE pack if I was going on an extended mission. Otherwise, it fastens to my tactical vest and web belt setup directly with ALICE clips)

My Beltline:

- Heavy duty multipliers with tactical kordura sheath
    - Two throwing knives
    - Small diamond sharpening stone in sheath
    - Mini Maglite with triple LED bulb conversion
    - Adjustable headlamp in pouch
    - Goggles in pouch

Additional accessories/ comms:

- Double bladed boot knife
    - (in future) Pistol in leg harness - 9mm Polish Makarov
    - Motorola Saber, pocket charger, car charger adapter, 1800 mAh battery, Battery eliminator for car.
    - Maxon 40 channel CB radio transceiver, rechargeable batteries (9 AAA), car adapter and recharger unit.
    - Grappling hook, 75' para cord
    - ECWS Parka
    - ECWS Pants

- 1 Romanian AK-47 rifle, adjustable AR buttstock, Poly grips, Sling

(The radios will be stored inside the Web-Tex PLCE pack until used.)

Web-Tex PLCE Pack:

*uppermost compartment*
    - Shammy camp towel, camp solar shower, accessories
    - Strapped around is a shotgun shell belt

*open top compartment*
    - Yoke for daypack
    - Ghillie suit

*open dual waterproof system to reveal main compartment*
    - Survival Tabs emergency rations
    - Planting seeds for growing garden foods (approx 6 oz.)
    - Food multispice (makes wild game taste better)

*Untie US Army issue waterproof bag -holds all other items below*
    - US Army wool glove inserts
    - 1 US Army brown T-shirt
    - 1 pr. neoprene gloves with openable fingers for shooting
    - Firestarter sticks in waterproof bag (8 oz.)
    - Small fishing kit, assortment jigs
    - 2 pr. wool socks in waterproof ziplock bag
    - 2 US Army brown T-shirts in ziplock waterproof bag
    - Fishing Reel with - line, sinkers, hooks, swivels in waterproof bag
    - Stainless Steel copper coated high qual. mess kit
    - Abolutions kit -toothpaste, brush, cloth, toilet paper, razor, moleskin

*Outside center pouch*
    - PUR Waterfilter filtration system/ pump with 1 qt. platypus

*Two removable side packs*
    -pack one-
    - Telescoping fishing rod
    - US Mil Ranger blanket (poncho liner)
    - US Mil woodland camo rain poncho
    - 8 thin metal tent stakes
    - Additional rain poncho (medium quality, thickness)
    - Two bungee cords
    - Thermometer/compass hooked to zipper
    -pack two-
    - Vietnam US issue mildew resistant jungle hammock
    - Halo 3 sleeping bag with its own compression bag

*hooked to outside*
    - Mini Maglite

(I treat my bag with camp dry spray for added waterproofing)

*Edited Opsec, 2014*

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
    tedrow42 likes this.
  15. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I take it that is "seasonal optional" depending on how far North you may need to head.
    ECWS in FL soon to be TX seems like unecessary gear IMHO

Very complete kit otherwise. Few items I'd drop off to my midway re-supply...
    Shoot that AK yet?

16. Brokor

Ya, moving to Texas soon. ;) ECWS may be handy then. I am from up north originally.

Looking for a gun range that accepts rifle shooting also. And I do not want to join some $500 per year club. :eek:

17. monkeyman

Thowing knives for small game? Seems like a pretty good kit. How deep is the first aid kit?

18. Brokor

Throwing knives are for aliens. I plan on fighting, or at least preparing to fight. Never know when the aliens will attack. The first aid kit is well customised, but it will not suit me for trauma. I have sutures and needle-thread. It isn't a large kit, just enough for me, and designed to be replenished as needed.

I still have to slim my kit down a little. I am overweight with it and need to minimize a touch.

19. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Don’t forget Zombies

20. monkeyman

LMAO

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. 3M-TA3
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: Asia-Off-Grid, Jul 25, 2018, 10 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  8. DKR
  9. RouteClearance
  10. Thunder5Ranch
  11. Motomom34
  12. ED GEiN
  13. AxesAreBetter
  14. Bishop
  15. medicineman
  16. chelloveck
  17. Oltymer
  18. Imasham
  19. H.I.S Survival