How to get a Free Ride off the top of the mountain....

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by BTPost, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Had a couple of late season climbers here who got charged $2,000 for a helicopter ride.

Yard Dart likes this.
  2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Back country insurance is getting more common for excursions.... if you get lost, there will be a price to pay by the rescuee.

Dunerunner likes this.
  3. Yard Dart

On that point, most experienced hunters plan on Murphy getting into their plans....always expect being out in the cold longer than you expect, either due to a successful hunt, or some form of accident or delay.

Mountainman and Dunerunner like this.
  4. Dunerunner

Both men were in their 20's, one 22 the other 24 and both from Juneau. Guess they could be trying for the Grand Slam, but that would require some extensive travel to bag all four species of sheep, me thinks.

5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I guess I am just disappointed. Instead of discussing what every hunter should have in their pack, even if they are going just on a day hunt. All I see is name calling and put downs. I would enjoy it if our hunters on the forum weighed in and told us what they carry for day hunting trips. Have they ever had to cut a hunt short because of unforeseen issues. That is the educational part.

But I guess, carry on.

6. Dunerunner

I don't hunt in Alaska, but when I did, in California where it's still warm in October...

In my camp...

Truck, tent, sleep system, cook stove, ice chest with two days more food than I need, two changes of clothing, dry boots, coms.

In my Day Pack... Doubles as a bench rest if I'm lucky...

Game bag, come along, contractors garbage bag, water bottle (full), water filter, lite cook set, solo stove, signal mirror, knife, saw, axe, protein bars, two ready to eat (Just add hot water) meal packs, TP, small first aid kit.

300 feet away at all times, my hunting buddy with coms and his day pack.

7. Yard Dart

:lol: Sorry Moto, nobody is trying to make light of the situation.... but it is really comparable to a three day bug out. I for one, have gone out all day, to clip an elk at sunrise....to then track it till dark. Then set in with a camp, and wake to continue the track until the game is found and taken. Once taken in the back country, then you have to quarter and then hike out...depending on where this happened, you may have another night out....that is the life a hunter.

I had a buddy a couple of years ago head up to MT right outside of Yellowstone. They packed in by horse to camp..... and the next morning the weather turned. They were snowed in for seven days, with a four day trip planned. Hunters are used to this, it just gets risky when it goes beyond even Murphy planning.

What is in our pack.... everything you have in yours X 3.... or so. I have never gone on a day hike without three days of chit... I have never gone deep country without twice what I expect to need. ;)

8. Yard Dart

And to equate this to survival in SHTF..... there is never enough!! What you need is less than what is optimal to make it...because there is not a defined time line. Folks in PR are still struggling to survive, three weeks after the hurricane hit... and they are Americans. Once you realize you are really on your own as a citizen, it makes your clarity better on what you need to do to survive. PLAN FOR THE WORST... PRAY FOR THE BEST!!!!!!

Sapper John, BTPost and Dunerunner like this.
  9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

To a point, I might agree that there are lessons to be learned from those boneheads, very simply that they didn't properly prepare for whatever they were hunting. To critique their lack of preparation is one thing, yet another to rehash once again what they should have carried in their (2) day kit. Bear in mind that we do not know the country that they challenged (except that it is high and cold), so we would be guessing at any specifics. Moreover, we didn't get a rundown on what they DID have, just what they didn't, nor do we have the least idea of how much experience they may have had other than not enough.

FWIW, my experience with day kits is that two days is better prepping, to say EDC +.

So we are meanies. Well, they are not members here, so throwing rocks at them is not a violation.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  10. ghrit

Mountainman likes this.
  11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

3.5 miles basically from SeaLevel to 5000 ft....

12. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Yes Moto I call them names and stand by it. First, what we as hunters carry is the same basic supplies and gear you carry in your get home bag just more of it I guess. With maybe less seasonal adjustment. From the many post on the subject of bags all the information is there. I think I read they are from Alaska so I can't believe they wouldn't have at least an inkling of what they were going into and what gear and amounts to have for the hunt plus knowing Murphy could tag along as he does more often than not. Even if they were from the flatlands, say, here in texas how could they be hunters and not understand circumstances could change due to many things besides weather. Their age is no excuse for their stupidity even considering how different things were fifty years ago when I was that age. Would I have helped rescue them if necessary? Of course I would. But you can bet beyond a doubt they would know how how I felt about their stupid, lackadaisical, and careless attitude putting others in danger to get their stupid snowflake butts back to their safe space. And their "parents" would get an earful as well since they obviously took no time to educate,lead,or even buy them a magazine on basic wilderness travel. They were 22 and 24 which is considered an age to be men. No longer needing to be confined to a play pen and old enough to change their own diapers. My bet is some of both the Coasties and Army SAR groups had men and women even younger on the teams.

Mountainman, Dunerunner and Yard Dart like this.
  13. ghrit

Just reviewed this thread. Here is a golden opportunity for the experienced among us to reinforce what we (already) know and to reinforce the need for planning. It's also an opportunity to let newbs (green hands) that read the thread to pick up on real world object lessons on how not to git 'er done, and to start thinking about what they will do if faced with similar events in the future. Don't want to be called a bonehead or worse? Prepare properly to avoid the need for sympathy and insults. This site is loaded with how-to do its of all flavors, no need to regurgitate any of it here.

14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

As I noted in my THIRD Post.... (Post #13) If they had just put their Frozen Water, INSIDE their Clothing, and next to their Skin, they would have thawed out the Frozen Water in about 30 minutes, and would have NOT been deHydrated.... This is common knowledge by ANYONE who has ever lived in the Alaskan Bush, and many other folks around the world... who live and work in Sub-Freezing Environments... They had that means with them, already, but not the knowledge to do it....

SB21, oldawg and Dunerunner like this.
  15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

One of the reasons I carried MRE heaters when I would go hunting in maine.

Dunerunner likes this.
  16. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

While I believe you are right about an Alaskander knowing how to thaw out their water under their armpit. Even a flatlander like me knew that, learned that years ago on my own , when I found I left my beer in the freezer to long. It makes for a cold armpit , but better than being thirsty.

Dunerunner and Yard Dart like this.
  17. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

This is simply another case of man's interference with Darwin.

Dunerunner, oldawg and BTPost like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7