How to Make Your Own Sauerkraut

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by 3M-TA3, Aug 10, 2019.

1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Sauerkraut has become one of my staples since I revamped my diet. It's what I consider a keto super food providing protein, fiber, and vitamin C.

Great video on making your own sauerkraut. I had no idea it only takes cabbage, non iodized salt and time

A great YT channel about 18th century life which could be 21st century life if we eff things up.

2. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

I add a bit of kombucha to mine and use the extra scoobies I end up with to top/seal the kraut. Works really well

Dunerunner likes this.
  3. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I watched a clip about how the amish made sauerkraut before , and was really a lot simplier than I thought it would be . Still haven't tried it on my own yet . Thanks for the video ,,,and the reminder .

Dunerunner likes this.
  4. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

3M-TA3 and SB21 like this.
  5. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

There are stages of sauerkraut fermentation that might be changed when adding other bacteria cultures. This is one reason you're not suppose to add any of the juice from a prior batch to a new batch. I am not an expert so you could check into it more with people that might know (e.g., culturesforhealth.com). I can't see any harm from adding kombucha :^) Here is a short article I found that covers the phases: The Stages of Sauerkraut Fermentation | OlyKraut

STGThndr likes this.
  6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

STGThndr and Dont like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7