How To Run A Pellet Stove During A Power Outage

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ColtCarbine, Dec 26, 2021.

1. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Altoidfishfins, Motomom34 and BTPost like this.
  2. Out in the woods

Out in the woods off-grid in-the-forest beekeeper

Why not select one of the non-electric pellet stoves?

3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Don't run the inverter if you don't have to.
    The inverter is going to suck down an amp or 2 just to stay powered on then you have the AC to DC conversion losses.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  4. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

My Father was keen on a corn-burning stove, until he realized that both the hopper and the fan required electricity. Not exactly what you want during a winter power-outage!

5. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Yea, my pellet Smoker/BBQ runs off of 12VDC. Always wondered why home heating pellet stoves weren't designed that way from the get go.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  6. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I keep a quarter ton of horse bedding on hand (wood pellets) that could be used for heat if we ever need it here. ;) Cooling off today. Only 71° at the beach.

In a survival situation I'd prefer gravity feed/screw feed or kid fed pellets. Better yet, put a drum of drain oil on the roof and drip feed the oil onto the coals. Unlikely to see and EPA inspectors out in a blizzard.

duane, Cruisin Sloth and Dunerunner like this.
  7. ColtCarbine

I can't speak for others but for my installation I don't have the ability to install a straight 20-30 foot flue per manufacturers recommendations to facilitate the proper draft needed for it to function properly. They function well for those who have a structure that can accommodate the flue requirements.

They are not ideal for ALL structures.

8. ColtCarbine

My 1st pellet stove had a factory supplied DC connection and I got 20 yrs. usage before replacing it. I'm unsure when manufactures quit installing a DC connection. I'm guessing it was a manufacturing cost issue.

9. ColtCarbine

Having any heat producing appliance reliant on electricity isn't exactly what you want during a winter power outage. Ideally, having a heat source not reliant on electricity is best. However, not everybody is in that situation.

One could keep a pellet stove running on less electricity than most other heat sources that require electricity. Pellet stoves need about 700-800 watts to start and run on about 500-600 watts. It doesn't take much generator to run a pellet stove.

1. hot diggity
  2. JC Refuge
  3. Andy the Aussie
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Prepper12
  6. Thunder5Ranch
  7. DKR
  8. Ganado
  9. DKR
  10. Hillbilly549
  11. DKR
  12. deMolay