How Will You Hunt (shtf) Re: Quiet Weapons?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Kathy in WV, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Kathy in WV

Kathy in WV Just runnin' the ridges...

What good will it do to be prepared to hunt post SHTF if everybody knows you are hunting just by hearing the gunshots? Thats as bad as running a generator will announce to the world that you have gas and food. Yeah, you can bow hunt and trap etc... but for those storing ammo, when it gets really bad and the common non-thinker gets really hungry... he hears your gun and it sounds like a big DINNERBELL! Where I live suppressors and silencers are illegal (I think). I'm just wondering how will you be able to work around that noise issue. Or will you be able to at all? Wll you have to gradually change to traps, snares and bows? Will you only use ammo as home defense after that point? It was just something that popped into my head and the more I thought about it, the more insurmountable the problem seemed?

2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Wrong...
    I refuse to hunker down and play mouse for some looter's...
    I call that a trap shoot...
    If your going to be a Bona-Fide prepper..Learn now how to bait and eliminate...!!!
    Better you waiting for them...!!!

3. Cephus

Cephus Monkey+++ Founding Member

Kathy the deer are so thick here I believe ya could hunt with a baseball bat and wait till they walked by !!
    But seriously all the grandsons use a bow and very efficient with same !!
    OH and if it is real SHTF and suppressor will be for those who know how to make one !!

Alpha Dog and Kathy in WV like this.
  4. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Scout those scouting you.spend time on the perimeter. Don't just wait for a shot from cover to get you or yours. Post shtf will be a crap shoot anyway so, like Gator said, bait them in and eliminate them the same as any four legged predator.

5. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

leg-holds, conibear, snare, air rifle, compound and recurve bows, sling shots, atlatl, rocks and sticks are all methods that methods that I've used to harvest fur and meat.

Trapping is ideal when the prey is nocturnal.

kellory, Frisian, TwoCrows and 2 others like this.
  6. JABECmfg

JABECmfg multi-useless

Suppressors aren't illegal, they're just more strictly controlled than the rifles, shotguns, and pistols that you can buy over the counter at any gun shop. State laws may vary, but even if your state doesn't like them, they can still be legally owned - they just require more paperwork, and a $200 transfer tax. They're classified as an NFA weapon, same as a fully automatic weapon (machine gun,) or short-barrelled -rifle or -shotgun.

The following link is to a page on the ATF's website, should be useful here. Everything shown is perfectly legal to own, if you go through the appropriate routes.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/identification-of-nfa-firearms.html

Kathy in WV likes this.
  7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

There is no paperwork at all required for a flame -thrower...
    That's how i roll...!!!

ccc...

Evil, bgner, JABECmfg and 1 other person like this.
  8. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

As it isn't very hiker friendly, the terrain here is a decent deterrent.

9. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

Bow, snares, One shot from a 22

10. JABECmfg

JABECmfg multi-useless

[fnny]

Didn't there used to be a smiley for that?

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure a flame thrower is a "destructive device" - but I like the way you think!

11. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

I think layers are the answer. I've put away a stock of BBs and air rifle pellets, as well as sling shot ammo for smaller stuff. For the larger animals, and possibly some tactical applications, I have a bow and I've stockpiled quite a bit of sub-sonic .22 ammo. I understand the limitations of sub-sonic .22, but it will serve me better than a bow, until I find the time to put in some serious practice with it. There are also traps and snares to be utilized.

12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

rr

No..There is no paperwork required down here...!!!

13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Well, enough of my soapbox. I think I’ll go buy a flamethrower. You don’t need any paperwork for those at all.

14. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

post shtf suppressor on a 22 rifle. post shtf we doan need no stinking federal $200 registration. snares will be used even more.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Da Seacowboy has a great post on snare's...Pay attention people...!

16. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

The Mr used to be competitive in archery, both with a compound bow and whatever the old school one is called. This was before we hooked up and he hasn't practiced in years. I've been planning to get a crossbow and get busy practicing with it, more for it's badassery factor than any real conviction I need to know how to stealth hunt.

I'm banking on the average non-thinker having an easier time tracking down someone's rooster that doesn't ever shut up, than a shot or two from who knows where.

17. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

For small stuff(like squirrels/chipmunks and the like), my cats can do that. I suppose I could train my dogs to hunt, but my profile pic dog, she's a farm/herder dog. She is more trainable than Scruffy though, Scruffy has issues. And likes to bark at everything. He's even not recognized mom a couple times when she's walking down the hall and starts viciously barking at her like she's an intruder. Maybe I could teach him to mushroom hunt instead, since he won't eat them. To hunt bigger animals, I do have compound bow. And there's always fishing too. Definitely easy to fish quietly if you are close enough to a stocked body of water. I might also just find us a rooster or two so we can have a steady supply of chickens for our meat.

18. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Having known a few cajuns I figure anyone who puts a 225 black max on a john boat just ain't worried about paperwork.Just my opinion tho.

19. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Monkey++

The problem with suppressors is the illegal paperwork required to own them, it will lead to visits by JBT's.

That is why I do not have them, even though they are simple to make.

Seawolf1090 likes this.
  20. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Post shtf, the least of my worries will be batf agents looking for illegal suppressors. You hit the nail on the head about suppressors being rather easy to make. nuff said. no one said anything about actually having an illegal suppressor at this time.

1. Gator 45/70
  2. Alanaana
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Alanaana
  5. Alanaana
    Media

Pig

It was the 1st hog I caught in my snare!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 14, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Alanaana
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Dunerunner
  12. Thunder5Ranch
  13. plumberroy
  14. Coyote Ridge
  15. hitchcock4
  16. john316
  17. Motomom34