How Will You Hunt (shtf) Re: Quiet Weapons?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Kathy in WV, Jul 17, 2012.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I doubt any limitations of sub-sonic .22 if you purchase the 60 grain and have the correct barrel. Add a silencer and its sound is almost like a .177 FWB being used. A Ruger 10-22 with a scope and a few dozen Ruger 25-round BX-25™ mags would fit fine in most any Survival plans.

AMM-057. ITEM: #TAC-RUGBAR16
    More Items From: http://www.tacticalinc.com/
    DETAILS
    Rather than invest the time and expense to get your factory Ruger® 10/22® BARREL threaded, and hope it gets done right, we have drop in replacement BARRELS that are already professionally CNC threaded 1/2x28 TPI and come WITH the thread protector, at a price that's just about what a one off threading job would cost you. The barrels are perfect for any 1/2x28 threaded suppressor or accessory.

The barrels are 4140 series US Certified steel and are polish blued finish. The barrels are 1:9 twist, which is specifically made for shooting 60g SSS "heavy bullet" ammo. The barrels do not have any iron sights installed and are designed to be used with a receiver mounted scope or similar optics. Installation is fast and easy with no modifications to your rifle. Simply remove the stock, unscrew the 2 cap screws that secure the barrel with the V-Block, remove your factory barrel and install this new one.

Tully Mars and tulianr like this.
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Monkey++

As I said I do not have one, and will not do the paperwork for one.
    After tSHTF, I make no promises to obey illegal laws.

3. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Along these same lines, you should think about:
    • food smells during cooking
    • sounds of work (e.g., chopping logs, tilling land, animals)
    • light pollution at night

See this post about the cooking smells: http://www.preparedsociety.com/forum/f2/food-smells-gave-us-away-12116/

I have a very long post (perhaps blog post) about wood cutting (sawing vs chopping that I will post when I find the time--it requires lots of photos to be posted).

Tully Mars, Yard Dart and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

use cast Iron dutch ovens or similarly covered containers and low smoke fires... best to cook during times that folks are not around... or normally wouldn't be up...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Looter's will kick in EVERY door on your street looking for food and anything else they want..They take..!!!
    Be prepard to lay down a wall of lead...Most of them will kill you in a heart beat...
    Shoot'em until you can't see them anymore..and then reload...

6. Ajax

Ajax Monkey++

I would like to start hunting but haven't done any real hunting. I would think that a good compound bow, a .22 rifle, knowledge of how to make and use snares, and a good shotgun could take care of most hunting needs. I also know any time I have been in the woods and heard a gun shot I would probably have about a 10% chance of finding the person that took the shot.

I don't think many people will be in a position to really hunt for food either in any serious TEOTWAWKI scenario.

That's were the AK or AR come in handy. I've though about situations like this, one thing that would worry me is what large and organized the group could do. Whats to say they don't pull back and burn you out if they hit any resistance at all. Maybe having a way to know in advance a group like that is coming and then a way to high tail it out with supplies would be a good idea.

Of course I think keeping in touch and organized with your neighbors is the best thing and head of any trouble before they can get in a position to inflict serious damage. If your neighbors suck then you don't have a whole lot of options.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

The issue of hunting/living off of game has been discussed here and all across the prepper sites with the common wisdom holding that game will run out quickly. So, I wouldn't rely on that in your plans.

On the good side, there will probably be a lot of stray dogs running around....just don't get caught out by yourself when a pack goes by. They're going to be hungry too without getting their daily cup of Ol Roy.

tulianr and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Some of my neighbor's..Well...Let's say could not even change a spark plug in a Brigg's...
    Have one L.E.O.and a couple of guy's that served in the marine's...
    Some oilfield guy's,4 R.N.'s and several more are hunter's...
    I think we together could cover our lil'street...

Cephus and VisuTrac like this.
  9. HK_User

Bottom line, animals are killed when they look for water, food, or sex.

We are of the animal kingdom.

So to stay safe you must do what?

I'm sure most can figure out the rest.

Tully Mars likes this.
  10. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

This question has been an on going debate in preparedness circles since the first time I saw the letters SHTF. I'm not going to try and hide anything. Yup we have a generator that will run once a week for about 1/2 hour. We are building solar as well. We are burning wood so the smoke is going to be around our house. I plan on doing all our hunting with a .22 rimfire rifle and two crossbows. But here is the thing all of you have missed. YOU DONT START RIGHT OUT MAKING NOISE. Live off your stored foods for a couple of months and concentrate on defending your area not just your house. Our community(lake association) is ready. We have a trained Squad of 12 men to conduct Tactical operations in this area. The leader just finished 4 years in the sand box and is a Sergent U.S. ARMY. . He is very qualified. Im not concerned about looters here. We have a good defensible position and have more than enough weapons men and ammo to keep our preps and our people safe.

Tully Mars, Cephus and Yard Dart like this.
  11. HK_User

Same in my case, stay in my area, stay concealed, watch the conditions around us.

The dead end road, on which we live, is in country that is a bit diffucult for any but all out 4 wheelers.

Residents run the whole loop of LEO, Mil, X Mil and those that wish to just be left alone.

Of course we have the usual that depend on 911, but we just hope those stay inside and don't bring problems to us.

12. wrc223

wrc223 Monkey+

Keep many options open. Learn to make snares and learn trapping. These are the most efficient because you get food while you do something else or sleep.
    Of course there are bows. I have two. One is an older longbow, perfect for shooting home made arrows. The other is a PSE Dream Season (cant make home made arrows for that because they would explode in the bow when I hit the release). A crossbow is another great option and with todays advances in crossbow technology, they are accurate at pretty good distances and at affordable prices. I know people will laugh at me but I really want to get the PSE tac-15 crossbow. I dont know, just somethin about a silent AR shooting bolts.....
    Of course learning an even more primitive weapon could suit you well. I volunteer at the local BSA camp teaching winter wilderness survival. One year a gentleman was there teaching about how to make an Atlatl. Well, he definately got my attention. Ever since I have been throwin stick. This is a very effective weapon/tool. It will poke a 7" deep hole in an 80lb bag of scratch grain at 30'.
    Personally, I plan on using the most primitive methods I can to harvest game. There are many reasons for this but my primary reason is I dont want to spook all of the delicious creatures off my property. Security would be another though I dont worry about folks within town hearing me/us shooting. We certainly dont want to draw any unwanted attention so being a bit discreet never hurts. Besides, by trapping/snaring you do less damage than shooting thus maximizing the amount of meat and usable hide. Fleshing and tanning a hide is MUCH easier if you dont have a bullet hole to work around!!

kellory, tacmotusn, tulianr and 2 others like this.
  13. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

+1 to keeping options open.

14. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

15. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

A good quote is in order:
    [gun]

kellory, Cephus, oldawg and 1 other person like this.
  16. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I think a host of trap's and snares; an established herd, coop or other animals; garden with seed stores; various methods of silencing your weapons; and a proficient use and maintained weapons of the re-curve bow or compound bow nature are critical. The ultimate goal is to get beyond the initial onset of food deprivation of the masses until you can operate in the free and clear as our settlers did. The firearms would suffice in a defensive or offensive nature, but in a food gathering sense, stick to the traditional means of stealth for a period.

Tully Mars, tacmotusn and tulianr like this.
  17. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Obama said dog was delicious- why not!! [OT]

18. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

That's a serious consideration that I haven't seen much addressed. I was in Beirut in '83 and '84, and packs of dogs - once domesticated, but now feral - were a real threat. They were seriously aggressive too; not like coyotes or a couple of wolves slinking through the trees, looking for an opportunity. They would simply see you and come after you like you had the words "Alpo, come and get it!" blazoned across your chest. Any lone dog or other small animal one of these packs came across simply became food. People were by no means off of the menu either. We already have an animal population control problem in this country. After the SHTF, packs of feral dogs could become a major security concern.

19. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Monkey++

20. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

Kathy I been thinking the same along with what if I had to take out a threat quit, Im not a big bow shooter but I shoot a lot of firearms. So I tried one of the cross bows loved it I got this one from Amazon not the most costly but not the cheapest either. I read over the reviews and this one fills the slot for what I need. I also bought 2 extra strings and around 25 bolt (arrows) along with a couple packs of broad heads. Another good thing is the bolts are reusable and if had to I don't think would be hard to make extra. Try one they are a lot of fun with the family to just go out and kill some time together.

Arrow Precision Inferno Fury Crossbow Kit (175-Pounds)

List Price: $252.00
    Price: $168.07 Amazon and it is instock (I am not conected with this product in anyway other than being a happy costumer)
    413CK7QskJL._SL500_AA300_.
    o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o

1. AgentPickle
  2. AgentPickle
  3. Gator 45/70
  4. Alanaana
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. Alanaana
  7. Alanaana
    Media

Pig

It was the 1st hog I caught in my snare!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 14, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Alanaana
  11. Dunerunner
  12. Dunerunner
  13. Dunerunner
  14. Thunder5Ranch
  15. plumberroy
  16. Coyote Ridge
  17. hitchcock4
  18. john316
  19. Motomom34