How Will You Hunt (shtf) Re: Quiet Weapons?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Kathy in WV, Jul 17, 2012.

1. PAGUY

PAGUY Monkey

Being silent.....that is tough in long term scenarios but, here we go. If I chose not to use a quieter Meier of taking game I would travel a distance from my location and take game there. It might just a a mile away but, it would be further away from my base of operations than a few steps. If there is not a choice I would take the animal and deal with an adversary when it comes down to it.

2. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

.22 short is pretty quite, i was watching a video on how to make a suppressor out of an oil filter, also heard a pop bottle over the end of the barrel works? were im at i can get close enuff to a deer to do the dirty work with a .22

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Tactical Innovations link does not work. Fixable?

4. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

5. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

6. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I am going to use a bow, and have the modified AR-7 rifle to use with subsonic ammo...(hint): an older beat up mag lite is a great quietning device!

Kathy in WV likes this.
  7. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

My .22 is a Marlin 981t bolt action. I have a couple of others, a Ruger 10-22 and an old Remington Nylon 66. The Marlin however will shoot sorts, longs and long rifles and has a redfield revolution scope. In the woods shooting down at a deer even a long rifle is quiet. You would have to be within half a mile to hear it. I have no worries about my Generator, smoke from my wood stove or shots from my .22 attracting attention to my Bol. The first thing everyone should do in a shtf scenario is secure their A.O. as far out as they can. This means patrolling not hiding. You want to encounter looters and raiders away from your BOL and your loved ones . DO NOT LET THEM COME TO YOU. Once they locate you its just a matter of time before you have to fight them so it is better to do it on your terms not theirs. We set up a series of fall back points where we have will ambush and force multipliers in place. You lead them into traps and dispatch them. This is where encrypted radios really come in handy. Just going out to hunt will put you in a situation where you are away from home for long periods of time. This in itself is not a good idea. Better to eat canned goods and butcher some rabbits. My plan is to hunker down and wait to see what happens. I will contact every neighbor on our lake the first day and we will start patrolling as soon as everyone is here that is coming in. My biggest fear is a long slow slide meaning the need for patrolling may not seem necessary to some. Others may decide to ride it out where they are. An EMP would bring it all down fast. Much depends on WHAT happens.

Tully Mars and BTPost like this.
  8. I guess this would be a time for me to learn how to shoot a bow. Bow and arrows are very silent.

9. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

This has got me thinking that I should start feeding the fish in our pond to fatten them up some more and train them to come to the dock. Fishing would not make much noise and looters aren't going to take our dinner very quickly or easily unless they bring dynamite. Live pond fish keep for years (control algae so if the pond turns over you don't get a fish kill), need no refrigerator and can be relaxing to gather.

AT

kellory likes this.
  10. txswfan

txswfan Monkey+

I've got the crossbow set up so I can use it day or night.
    qo6mq9.
    qo6mq9.

kellory and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

I buy old traps whenever I find them on Craigslist or at garage sales...and the army was nice enough to give me a pretty good education on snares and deadfalls.

Really though, with the combo of the ridges and dense forest and the fact that guns are not really rare in the "neighborhood" I would have to do a lot of shooting to stand out. It might be a problem if I had to stay where I actually live now...on the edge of town, but we'd be buggin' on down the road a few miles back home before the stuff hit our little town.

We have never hunted or allowed hunted the land at home and make sure that, besides the river for water, there are sources of salt throughout the woods...the bigger problem for me will be dealing with poachers...especially the silent type.
    [peep]

12. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Four wild dogs dug their way into my fenced yard, many years ago, and used my cat for a chew toy. She bloodied two, but they ripped her in half, before I could get my gun locker open and .22 rifle loaded. I fired 15 rounds, I counted 14 holes in 4 no longer running targets. I buried one. I still miss that cat, and it has been more than 20 years.

As for silent hunting. I hunt squirrels and rabbits with a slingshot, deer with longbow, recurve, compound, and crossbow. guns give longer range shots, and defense.

tulianr and chelloveck like this.
  13. hedger

hedger Monkey+

The simple and silent effectiveness of sling shots intrigues me. I bought one for my son's BOB; I need to do the same for my own!

I recently saw a functioning WWII flamethrower. It was for sale; I believe the asking price was $60,000.00.

That is way beyond my pocketbook range.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. kellory

I use one similar to this for rabbits and squirrels. It folds, and fits in a back pocket. I removed the magnet in the pouch. 31Ozkp9uK-L._SL500_AA300_.

15. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

CCI Quiet Ammo 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Lead Round Nose

this is allegedly as quiet as a BB gun when fired in a 24 inch barrel bolt action. may not cycle the semi-autos. 700ish fps. I've got some on order

16. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Killed and cooked...in one easy step.

[reddevil]

VisuTrac and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

My nephew has a .22 semiauto handgun with an integral suppressor - all legal with tax stamp etc. We were recently shooting the CCI subsonic ammo through this. Was a bit less sound that a typical air rifle. Amazing. In a true SHTF situation and the need to covertly survive may well trump complying with some laws. One can fabricate a suppressor from a number of things and some can be quite effective. A stack of bottle caps with a hole drilled through the middle and wrapped heavily with duct tape can create an effective suppressor. So it would seem a couple bricks of subsonic LR .22s and the raw materials to make something might be wise to have stored, especially if the materials such as PVC tubing etc have multiple other purposes that it could serve in that situation.

AT

18. hedger

hedger Monkey+

NICE!

Where did you find it and how much did it cost?

19. kellory

"Where did you find it and how much did it cost?"

Available at places like Dick's sporting goods, walmart, Target, all over. Cost about $20. I use hex nuts for ammo. 1/2"

20. hedger

hedger Monkey+

All of those retail stores are all around me. I will definitely check this out. I also appreciate your hex not ammo suggestion--I had been kind of fixated on round ammo but could not think of an affordable supplier of such ammo. The hex nut suggestion is terrific; the edges will likely do more damage to the target than a round surface impact.

Thanks very much for your response.

By the way, have you practiced or put it into much use? If so, how do you like it?

1. AgentPickle
  2. AgentPickle
  3. Gator 45/70
  4. Alanaana
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. Alanaana
  7. Alanaana
    Media

Pig

It was the 1st hog I caught in my snare!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 14, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Alanaana
  11. Dunerunner
  12. Dunerunner
  13. Dunerunner
  14. Thunder5Ranch
  15. plumberroy
  16. Coyote Ridge
  17. hitchcock4
  18. john316
  19. Motomom34