How would you advise the not-yet-prepared prepper caught by a financial collapse?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by SlowBro, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

[applaud] @Seacowboys
    Do I think I have marketable skills, no. I know a little about many things. I question constantly and I read constantly. I print off useful information and put them in a binder.

Right now there are yard sales. I have a box of candles that I got for .25 to .50 each. I have wool blankets, sweaters and socks all bought at yard sales. Don't buy it just cause it is. Buy it because you will wear it and use it. I bought a CB radio for a dollar (go on-line print off how to hook it up, tape directions to the radio). Gardening tools, hand tools and camping eq plus canning jars can all be found cheap. Make sure you don't get ripped off, do not be afraid to offer less then they are asking.

Know your grocery store. Sales run in cycles. Example: during Dec- Jan my stores have Chunky soup on sale, it goes down to a dollar a can. During that time coupon.com had coupons plus the local Sunday paper. Stock up! I don't pay over a dollar for chunky soup- also when buying, check the expiration date. My store also has one week when canned vegies at .49 per can. I know if happens in early fall. BTW- coupons.com only lets you print two of each coupon from your ISP. If it is good then print two at work your local library. Also- do not buy food just because you have a coupon or it is on sale. Buy what you eat. Your friend should have more then 2 weeks food and he can stock a few months cheaply, thus leaving his cash for the expensive prep he needs.

Know your community. Above people have mentioned it and it is true. Is it safe? Will it be safe. What are the skills of your neighbors? Former military, hunters, who works in trades? Are there nurses and doctors in the hood? Also, who are the threats? Know them or know of them- know if they have weapons. You don't need to spy on people, just be aware and friendly, most people talk not just about themselves but about other people.

Your friend is in Suburbia- what could he trap? Can he successfully grow all those seeds in the can he purchased? He needs to identify what he can grow really well, what is the most nutritious. He needs to plant fruit bushes and trees, now. I have never paid full price for any of them. End of the season clearance and when it hails there is always a sale.

2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I just picked up some yard sale tools myself. I gotta make funds streach as far as possible.

chelloveck, Motomom34 and Brokor like this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Also- your friend is not a good shot. What we did. We have a few BB guns. We have a few cans on a tree and shrubs. Plink away. Learn to hit what you aim at. Then on windy days tie a couple of balloons out and plink at those. This is cheaper then wasting ammo and the kids can start practicing with the BB guns. Someone said dry firing, I had heard that was to be discourage because it harms the weapon.

Seacowboys likes this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

It has always been my understanding that "Dry Firing" a Weapon, would only be harmful in a Rimfire Weapon, and NOT a Centerfire Weapon. The reasoning was that in a Rimfire Weapon, the Firing Pin actually may contact the shoulder of the Chamber, where in a Centerfire Weapon the Firing Pin is located in the Center of the Chamber and will contact nothing there, if the weapon has no Cartridge in the chamber.
    My Opinion...... YMMV.....

5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

One way I decided to save on costs related to shooting, was to buy a .22 conversion kit for my rifle. It's a simple drop-in bolt and comes with a .22 cal magazine. Lots of handguns and rifles have these kits available, and they more than pay for themselves over time. Another method for me, was to reload my own ammunition. This is a complex hobby to get into, but it can also be rewarding as a preparedness skill.

The BB gun suggestion is actually a good one, too.

chelloveck, Yard Dart and VisuTrac like this.
  6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Most 22s can indeed be harmed if dry fired. However, inserting an expended cartridge will save that problem. So far as center fire goes, some firing pins can be damaged by dry firing, it is weapon dependent (mostly based on firing pin and bolt design internally.) That also can be controlled/eliminated with commercially available dummy rounds to use for just that purpose. I don't differentiate between those that can be damaged and those that cannot, I have dummy rounds for all of them.

For practice, I'd recommend a pellet gun, they tend to be less spastic about where the pellet goes than where bbs go. Also, hanging a small can (like the small fruit and veggie size) on a string off a branch presents a reactive target that is a LOT more fun than putting holes in things that don't wiggle.

7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I do not shoot it hard targets like batteries, the BB's can rebound and break windows.:oops:

Motomom34 likes this.
  8. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Add a scope to the Pellet gun and you add another learning device.

chelloveck and Brokor like this.
  9. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Sig makes an excellent 22 conversion for the 26. So good in fact that mine stays setup in .22 with aftermarket 17 round mags in .22.

Brokor likes this.
  10. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Inventory other family member skill sets, and items for possible trading. Keep in mind that that there are jobs that don't need any specific skill sets i.e. dumpster diving. gleaning fields, rag picking, etc. there are other skillsets that you nay have and not know about teaching , repair of items, some items may still need programing just not in your language sets like PLC etc. do you have a number of books? make a lending library, do you play an instrument?, a laundry, there are several skill sets that may take some [practice but don't sell yourself short... think out of the box...

bagpiper, chelloveck and Gafarmboy like this.
  11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Fun suggestion @ghrit . We now have cans swinging in the trees. We hung them in different locations then where the other cans are located. I think everyone in the family has perfected shooting off the deck. We had lots of fun yesterday plinking away at our new targets. Both of our Crossmans are pellet/bb guns.

Yard Dart, BTPost and kellory like this.
  12. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

One does not become a prepper over night, not successfully. It is a steady goal to be worked towards daily. It is learning to live in an old fashion way.

Attached Files:

chelloveck, Yard Dart and kellory like this.
  13. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I would supplement that list with the following.
    [​IMG]

Motomom34 and DarkLight like this.
  14. Orance Fine

Orance Fine Monkey

I think BTPost #6 has the right of it. Basically, nobody is likely to have "enough" of "everything". If he does have a lot more than his neighbors he might become a target: think warehouse vs. starving hoards. BT's suggestion was to develop a needed skill that (a) would be needed by the community and (b) would be hard to take away from you. That seems pretty important to me.

How far back do we think we might go? The skills needed in 1600 are probably not the same as the ones most useful in 1800 and those are almost certainly not sought after in 2014. Taking a middle road, let's assume civilization is reset at 1800.

Just thinking out loud here, but the more desirable skill sets might involve something that (a) everyone will need (b) more than once and (c) is difficult to provide (due to training, skill, materials, etc). A clue might be taken from pre-industrial or even the early industrial revolution: grist mills beside running water; brewery and / or distillery, coke. Coke burns hotter than coal and is more useful for a variety of purposes. Perhaps steam. Steam power was, I think, the first reliable source of power that didn't require nearby running water. Boat builder (canoe, Dory, sail boat) ? There are probably hundreds of croft skills that might be a source of income for the person and a joy to his community.

chelloveck, Yard Dart and BTPost like this.
  1. oldman11
  2. Witch Doctor 01
  3. T. Riley
  4. Motomom34
  5. Yard Dart
  6. Motomom34
  7. Motomom34
  8. Dont
  9. Motomom34
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Trial and Error
  12. thegoldlock.com