Hurricane Florence headed to the East Coast

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Dunerunner, Sep 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

saw this and was wondering if it was to keep the Yankees from coming south , Us from going north, or more likely to keep the power crews for going home until the hurricane season is over.... (Storm, not hockey...)

BTW Thanks to the folks who have come here to help us out....

2. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

KIMG2828. Lots of nice firewood was cut clearing the driveway.

Motomom34, Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  3. hot diggity

The range stood up to the wind just fine this time. We keep learning where the weak points are, and both times the roof has blown away we learned something new about how to keep it in place. KIMG2827.

4. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

New update: Hwy 22 will close at 6 pm tonight, and Hwy 501 will soon follow at the little Pee Dee river, effectively cutting us off from going West or North. I-95 remains closed from Florence, SC to Dillon SC. There are real concerns about getting in fuel and food, yet the campers account for 1 out of 20 vehicles on the road headed to the beach. To the South, Georgetown is preparing for 2-5' of floodwaters and that will cut off Hwy 17 going South. To put this in context, the flooding extends 60 miles or more to varying degrees from my AO. The good news is that water is receding to the North of us giving those folks some relief, but that just means it's headed here. I'm at 26' above sea level and they say worst case scenario has me up to 2' deep here.

5. hot diggity

I'm hoping that your weather man there is as poor at guessing the flood level as mine is at predicting the weather. Hang in there.

6. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Motomom34, Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

sec_monkey likes this.
  8. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I'm interested in how the response from the relief effort has been. Any of you seeing clean-up efforts, water and food distribution, etc.?

Motomom34, hot diggity and sec_monkey like this.
  9. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

yep there is some water plus food distribution

plus search n rescue

HH-60s have been delivering both water plus food, plus many other assets have been deployed

some areas have been cut off by the flooding, some roads have been badly damaged or destroyed in places

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

If any Monkeys here are veterans, and live in southeastern NC, the Kinston, NC VFW will be giving out food and other items to veterans affected by hurricane Florence. We will be staging at the American Legion located at 300 North McLewean Street. It will be this coming Monday and Tuesday from 1 to 4 pm. Any questions, please p.m. me.

Zimmy, oldawg, Gator 45/70 and 3 others like this.
  11. sec_monkey

Gator 45/70 and Sapper John like this.
  12. sec_monkey

over 300 roads plus bridges have been badly damaged or destroyed n will require extensive repairs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. hot diggity

We had a group of linemen from Line Tech Services that were working around collapsed roads and flooding while the storm was still very much upon us. As soon as the wind dropped, they were up in bucket trucks fixing wires. This was the most aggressive group I saw, but now that the sun is out the tree guys from.Davey Tree and half a dozen out of town crews with bucket trucks are swarming all over the area.

Most impressive response I've seen here, and I've been here on the Coast for most of the past forty years.

Zimmy, Motomom34, Sapper John and 3 others like this.
  14. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Bigtime overtime bucks for those line workers, but they darned well earn it! Big BRAVO! to those guys getting the power restored!

15. hot diggity

No access to the beach. Can't even sneak across the bridge. :-( KIMG2848.

16. hot diggity

flood waters on I-40 have receded. Flood waters on I40 have receded.

17. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Dang, That's a lot of bass lost.

oldman11 likes this.
  18. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Should have been out there scooping lthem up before they died.. Free fish, Good eat’en

oldman11, Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Big fish fry at church the following Sunday!! :D

oldman11, Gator 45/70 and Zimmy like this.
  20. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

What kind of weirdness made those fish die aground instead of retreating with the water line? That looks spooky as hell.

oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. sec_monkey
  2. sec_monkey
  3. Gator 45/70
  4. john316
  5. Tempstar
  6. Seawolf1090
  7. hot diggity
  8. Witch Doctor 01
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Motomom34
  11. Ura-Ki