Hurricane Florence headed to the East Coast

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Dunerunner, Sep 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Update
    [​IMG]

2. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

3. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Witch Doctor,,,,you on high ground ???? I know your closer to the coast the I am,,,

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  4. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

We're set for it - 90 minutes inland, did maint & testing on the genset, 30 gal of fuel on hand, all vehicles topped off, and 6 months of food. Bro in-law & family will probably be heading here, depending. They're smart enough to get the **** out of Myrtle if it heads that way.

Motomom34, Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  5. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

If they were that smart ,,,,they'd have left Myrtle a loooooong time ago,,,,,,[lolol][lolol]
    Sorry,,,I couldn't resist ,,,,Seriously,,,I hope you all will fare well,,,,I'm expecting the worse,,,,hoping for the best,,,and im farther inland,,,, but I've seen what it can do even this far inland,,,

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

There's very little that we need to do. Plenty of experience with what to expect. I used to pile everything in the corner of the deck and tie stuff down every storm. Now I have everything lashed down in place where we use it. I'm on high enough ground, amazingly well shielded, just paid the wind and hail policy, and will move unnecessary vehicles to an inland lot just to keep the salt spray and leaves off them... or trees, if I lose another tree.
    Plenty of time to do what little needs doing, and I'll even get tires put on one of the cars while it's at the dealership. :) No worries here.

8. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Lowes had a shipment of generators come in while I was there today, and watching the crowd gather around to buy them was entertaining. They probably got 10 and people were buying them up. I'm sorry, if you're going in ahead of a storm and buying one of those crappy earthshakers this late in the game, you don't need to be here.
    Anyone who gets WPDE Channel 15 or wants to go to wpde.com, we will have continuous coverage as long as there is something to sensationalize.
    On another note, I have received more emails from SC EMD and the local EOC than I ever have. They are taking this thing very seriously. My guess is that it is due to the population density and the fact we probably have 300k new residents from all over that have no idea what to do and not enough sense to just leave.
    I will also be monitoring the Dillon repeater and TAC-310 on DMR when I'm out in the thick of it.
    W2SOC

9. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Be safe, be careful....and don't try to be Superman and fly around in the eye of a Cat 5!

10. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

[ditto] what @techsar said :)

if ya aint got a WC-130J or WP-3D Orion ya should not be flyin anywhere near a hurricane

The [usaf] 53d Weather Reconnaissance Squadron currently operates the WC-130J

NOAA operates a pair of WP-3D Orions plus a specially equipped Gulfstream IV-SP

they regularly fly into tropical storms plus hurricanes to collect data, the Gulfstream IV-SP flies around the edges of the storms

11. Lancer

:) Myrtle B is a ***hole these days We won't visit. Oak Is, or the Outer Banks maybe. But after the riff-raff are gone.
    We're inland enough and high enough we won't have water issues unless something gives in one of the buildings. And that is the wind....

techsar, Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  12. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Yea,,,I lived in Myrtle in '80,,,wasn't bad then. Built a house OKI in '15 ,, loved it before school let out. Outer banks is OK if you stay on the south end. Not been back to the coast for a while , had a fishing trip planned a while back , but it got cancelled,,,need to plan another. Stay safe,,,,hope you fare well thru the weather,,,no matter how bad it gets.

techsar, Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  13. Lancer

Hpppph
    They just sent "warning notice" to all CERT members located within the state. Guess they're taking it serious.

14. sec_monkey

update as of this mornin [​IMG]

Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

You east coast people take care, Get at least 75 miles west of the eye and you should be OK!

sec_monkey likes this.
  16. Witch Doctor 01

We are 60 miles away from the coast and I'm n high ground... we may get cut off but won't flood...

17. sec_monkey

@Witch Doctor 01 [biggrouphug] @ all yall

60 miles is a bit scary .. yall stay safe

it is expected to make landfall Thursday or Friday .. it is also expected to strengthen to a Cat 4 or Cat 5 :( :(

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. Witch Doctor 01

Thanks for the concern... I have no trees near by... and am on fairly high ground... My only concern is loosing tin from my farm buildings....

Gator 45/70, oldman11 and sec_monkey like this.
  19. hot diggity

But then I'll be 75 miles from home. :)

If I'm on the bullseye again I'll get to look up into the beautiful clear blue sky in the eye of another hurricane.

Gator 45/70, oldman11 and sec_monkey like this.
  20. hot diggity

If the storm comes in Thursday or Friday, what's going to happen on Saturday and Sunday?

The sun is going to rise, we will check on our friends and neighbors, wash the salt spray and shredded leaves off the cars and go back to doing what we have to do.

1. sec_monkey
  2. sec_monkey
  3. Gator 45/70
  4. john316
  5. Tempstar
  6. Seawolf1090
  7. hot diggity
  8. Witch Doctor 01
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Motomom34
  11. Ura-Ki
  12. oil pan 4