Hurricane Florence headed to the East Coast

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Dunerunner, Sep 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Prayers outbound for all Carolinians, especially our forum family!!

sec_monkey, Zimmy and Motomom34 like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

HD & WD are okay but no power. Homer and Tempstar were on yesterday. I am sure they may have tips & advice after this storm. They are Survival Monkeys.

Oddcaliber, sec_monkey and Zimmy like this.
  3. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

The coast is still a mess and will be for some time. Many counties on the coast have effectively 100% power outages at this time. Locally (touch wood), I haven't lost power yet and we should be outside of the flood plain, even for something record setting (unless it's like, biblical). Doesn't help, however, when we get an emergency alert system warning for "our county" with little to no differentiation for lower and higher ground.

4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

While the media makes it look like the end of the world, it's really nothing of the sort.

john316, Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  5. DarkLight

Yup, for the last three days it was nothing but "you all gonna DIE!". Now, there's power outages and some flooding (neither for me thankfully) and amazingly enough, Home Depot across the street STILL HAS GENERATORS for sale...yes, they have gotten multiple shipments, but they have been able to keep them coming and have never once run out of at least having some to sell.

Meanwhile, people I know on the coast (long story) have a generator, had gas...and ran out. And with their neighbor's permission (this would be the neighbor who EVACUATED so as not to get caught in WILMINGTON, NC during a HURRICANE), are siphoning gas from the neighbor's jet skis for the generator. NO!!

Motomom34, Gator 45/70, Zimmy and 2 others like this.
  6. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I got a report that the power is out around Ft. Bragg, but a survey of army buddies in the Carolinas says that's about it for problems with power on in most cases.

sec_monkey and Motomom34 like this.
  7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

NOAA has stopped updating the Florence track. I guess we can call it done except for the lingering effects of the low pressure system wandering north to me.

8. DarkLight

Brokor, BTPost, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  9. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Just got home from taking 150 gallons of diesel to our transmitter in Dillon, SC. The flooding is going to be a real issue behind this storm. I-95 is closed at exit 181 both ways up into NC, Hwy 501 into Myrtle Beach closed in several places, most back roads have flooding at any point that it crosses a creek or ditch. 1 hour normal trip took 3 hours. Hwy 9 was cleared in time for the trip home. Thanks for the app called WAZE! When I'm not so beat I'll write up a lessons learned post.
    The rest of the tree still in the thick of this take care!

Gator 45/70, Motomom34 and sec_monkey like this.
  10. DarkLight

Glad you're back safe. Hopefully things clear up before you have to make your next run. Not looking forward to the drive to UNC to get the daughter back up there. Clear roads for my part of the trip but I'm sure a bunch of extra traffic because of the other closures.

Gator 45/70, Motomom34 and sec_monkey like this.
  11. ghrit

]
    I guess it wasn't obvious that I was being facetious ---

Zimmy, Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  12. DarkLight

If you are referring to my post, I was actually replying to zimmy. Your reply came in as I was typing up mine. It was pretty obvious to me that you were being...you ;)

Dunerunner, ghrit and sec_monkey like this.
  13. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

sec_monkey, Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

When the weather people thought this storm was going to head more towards the Virginia coast I found out my last house near Langley was in a mandatory evac zone.
    That would have sucked.

Gator 45/70, sec_monkey and Zimmy like this.
  15. Brokor

Oh, please! It will take the normal amount of time for government to get their ducks in a row. :)

We've got bridges and roads washed out all over the mountainside where I live up in the northeast and THAT will take years to repair. And we didn't suffer a hurricane, just a few weeks of heavy rain. The media will always hype hurricanes and tornadoes, they know it means more ratings and they LOVE being in the business of telling you what to think. Just a handful of years ago we had the worst flooding in recorded history and we've already recovered from it for years now. I think it took them two seasons to get everything settled.

john316 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. ghrit

Yup, the '11 flooding was bad in the flood plains. This mess a week or so ago was more washouts of the feeder streams than flood plains getting full. The little cascades washed boulders and shales all over the small roads and washed them clean out of existence in a couple places. A friend of mine was isolated for two days till his SIL went in with a beefed up land cruiser. All this is very local stuff, not a wide enough area to draw "journalist" attention, even the garage sitting in the middle of a N-S artery. The only way into the range was washed out, took three days to get in and find the range property damage.

Brokor and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Simmer down and be prepared. They were talking tornadoes in PA today. Flo may be coming for you. :p

And it took Vermont years to replace bridges and roads after Irene. Losing a home and everything upwards of a year. My former family was in a flood in OR. They spent 9 months living in their barn.

PS- NC raises chickens, pigs and turkeys. Prices will increase in the supermarkets. Stock up on bacon now.

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  18. Brokor

Good grief. hga
    That's not how the economy works any more. Unless Mexico and Australia are hit heavily, you're not gonna see any difference at Wal-Mart. lol

Gator 45/70 and Seawolf1090 like this.
  19. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Checking in... Just got municipal power... limited municipal water... still under boil water advisory...

thank God for the Beast...

upload_2018-9-17_20-4-23. upload_2018-9-17_20-4-37.

I have a lot of lessons learned and some new Gear reports...

Brokor, oldawg, Gator 45/70 and 3 others like this.
  20. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

1. sec_monkey
  2. sec_monkey
  3. Gator 45/70
  4. john316
  5. Tempstar
  6. Seawolf1090
  7. hot diggity
  8. Witch Doctor 01
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Motomom34