Hurricane Tips To Consider

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Yard Dart, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

[​IMG]

What other tips can you suggest for hurricane preparation.....?
    There are lots of lessons learned by some, that may be valuable to other Monkey's!!

Zimmy, GrayGhost, sec_monkey and 10 others like this.
  2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Good info,,,,(y)

3. Yard Dart

Hurricane/storm hack: Put waters and drinks in washer and fill with ice. Drinks stay cold for days! And water can be run out. (share this hack with your friends and family) Also- Make sure you unhook all the lines from your washer so water/sewage back up isn't a problem.

[​IMG]

4. Yard Dart

[​IMG]

5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Wait, What is this PTSD from a Hurricane, First I've heard of this?

sec_monkey, oldawg and oldman11 like this.
  6. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Lesson I learned from a neighbor who has had water wash away everything on the ground level.of his home bit the wall studs and the toilet.

Five gallon buckets of storage foods will get swept away in a storm surge and because of their mass they get damaged and are unsalvageable.

Oddly enough, what survives the surge is smaller canning jars and canned foods. Store wisely.

7. hot diggity

The basic stuff I've been doing. Clean gutters, cut back trees, secure anything that might blow away or break a window. Pile up extra feed and bedding for animals, fill water troughs, mow the grass, inspect your roof. (Wind driven water can get into places that occasional showers won't.)

Fill up every car, tractor, and boat with fuel, fill any empty gas cans. (No lines at gas station = No gas in town. 2330 10 September 2018.)

Stock up on food that you like. Have a plan if power goes out. In a big storm where shelves will be bare early, it might be best to eat out while you can to keep your stored food at a maximum. Those big cups of soda can be rinsed out and filled with tap water. Nice and cool in the fridge or cooler and ready to drink.

Communicate with family and neighbors. See who needs help and share helpful tips.

I use ear plugs if a storm comes at night. The howling and changing pitch of the wind keeps me awake. Nothing I can safely do outside anyway, so might as well read a book until I fall asleep.

8. hot diggity

Bug spray, sun screen, baby wipes, extra glasses, prescription medications refilled...

9. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Secure all outdoor things - trashcans, yard tools, deck chairs, etc. Anything can become a missile!
    Unplug electric items, just in case. Usually no lightning in a 'cane, but damaged lines and transformers can cause a bad surge.

10. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Attic kit..

during several of our last major hurricanes folks died because they were trapped in their attics.
    an Attic kit should include normal storm items that you have in your storm/hurricane kit and can act as a back up. However, items to include are ways to get out of the attic and to your roof so you don't become trapped. Tools like crow bars, axes, hatchet, hammers, tarps, ladders, chain saws, etc....

Zimmy, GrayGhost, Dunerunner and 5 others like this.
  11. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Keep your BOV in top running condition in case of evacuation order. Have somewhere to go as well.

12. hot diggity

Just because there's a storm brewing doesn't mean there aren't evil people ready to take advantage of the situation. Keep stuff locked up like you always would, don't open the door to unidentified strangers and be prepared to protect yourself. Home invasions and looting during and after a major storm are always a possibility. Cellular communication may be down, and people may have to arrive unannounced. It'd be a terrible thing to shoot an intruder, only to find that it's a neighbor in need of shelter, or a child or relative who just made it to your place from out of town. Bright flashlights should accompany firearms, and less-than-lethal defensive measures like pepper foam or spray considered. Keep in mind that it may be necessary to use it in a small space, or in the wind, so the directed stream or foam would be less likely to affect you when you use it.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The ultimate hurricane hack:
    Move inland.

14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

*Buy up lots of garbage and freezer bags. Big and little. Small garbage bags make good poop bags in a small bucket if you need it.
    *freeze Ziploc bags of water.
    And someone suggested: Hard candy. It's sweet. It will help the bad mouth, it comforting. They are cheap, sweet, easy to hand out and might keep the kids happy for a minute.

GrayGhost, Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Earlier this year a neighbor's trampoline ended up in my back yard, and in more than one piece. That was the result of one of our monsoon thunderstorms, measley by comparison.

16. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

If making/getting voice calls on cellphone is difficult, use texting. The signal package is smaller, and can get through when voice calls cannot.
    Did that during one bad storm when a buddy's landline phone failed.

17. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

Chicken wire or 2x4 fencing can be used to bridge openings in a roof to keep tarps from sagging, collecting water, and eventually ripping.

Zimmy, oldman11, GrayGhost and 5 others like this.
  18. john316

john316 Monkey+++

one of the best preps of mine was battery powered fans,9 days of no power in florida heat and wet

use 8 D CELLS....was still going strong after 9 days

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    Zimmy, oldman11, Dunerunner and 2 others like this.
  19. hot diggity

Guy at work thought his above ground pool would be okay if it was full of water during Hurricane Fran. It blew away some time during the night.

Hurricane winds are relentless. Watching my big trees, they fold up as best they can when a gust hits and then almost completely relax into an almost upright position before the next gust. That's why I don't feel silly using 5000 pound race car tie downs to lash the grill to the deck. Some stuff, like a wire mesh live trap, I know won't move in the wind... unless something else hits it. A great big Walmart bag, or hand full of leaves flattened on the wire mesh could make it mobile enough to slide across the deck. Same goes for those ornamental iron chairs.

It's the Murphy's Law of Hurricanes. Anything that can crash into a sliding glass door probably will.

Zimmy, oldman11, GrayGhost and 6 others like this.
  20. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I had built a trailer(solar power house) as my shop ,so that moving I always had my shop to work in especially if the house were renting had no garage .
    When we had to evacuate for a fire, the shop and all I could stuff in it came with us and it paid off , being able to work at another location during the duration of the evacuation .
    Having a tough enough trailer with all your solar and batteries on board, can stay that way while parked at home where ever that is.
    Providing a place to put you valuables and preps and temporary bedding and such at a moment's notice means volumes .

Zimmy, oldman11, Dunerunner and 2 others like this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Yard Dart
  3. Yard Dart
  4. fl4848
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Coyote Ridge
  11. Motomom34
  12. Meat