Hurricane Tips To Consider

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Yard Dart, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Nature can be a mother when she wants to!

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

the advice about the dishwasher is just an old old urban legend - there's a drain where a backup in sewage lines can come thru - there's also a built in overflow drain designed into the units ....

3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Don't forget the ol shotgun and a box of #6 shells + ear plugs, Its been done!

Witch Doctor 01 and Dunerunner like this.
  4. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I figured that was for the snakes that might join you in the attic if it's flooded high enough...:whistle:

Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Well, I don't know, but maybe there ottabee some 12 ga 3" buck or slugs for breaching the roof to go with the snake shot ----

6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

#6 shot is awesome in close confinements!

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  7. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Braid identification tags into horses mane so they can be returned if they get loose.

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I guess they don't brand horses any more? Tattooed lips?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Hurricane party or beat feet.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. hot diggity

Brand only works if the person who finds the horse eating their flower bed knows the brand. Big waterproof tag with name and phone number works, even if someone who's never seen a horse before locates it. "Ahhh, Yes sir, I found your dog."

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  11. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Toe Tag and a tattoo of personal information if you decide to stay on the coast with a Cat 4-5 hurricane...

12. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I just saw this. I am not a cell phone, wi-fi, voicemail expert but it is an interesting suggestion. I think it would need wi-fi to up-date the message but this could work.

DnAB9qBWsAEH6p-.

13. hot diggity

Being trapped indoors by a storm gets really tedious after a short time. It's important to have something to occupy your time.

While the power is on, you can watch hours of funny pet videos, or some buy building mud huts. After the power goes off, or you are so tired of the internet that just have to switch off, a book might help fill the hours. We've done lots of cleaning and some rather odd interior painting during past storms. Excessive alcohol consumption is never a good idea when you're in a dangerous situation, but you might read up on the finer points of wine tasting or Scotch appreciation, and sample these in moderation.

Exercise, stretching, a nice hot bath (while you can), or write to old friends you haven't seen in years. Anything to keep you busy and as happy is possible under the circumstances.

I'm still on the funny pet video and Russian dash cam crash video stage. :)

Motomom34, Zimmy, Dunerunner and 2 others like this.
  14. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I was hooked on those Russian dash cam crash videos for awhile. Gahh! Can any Russians understand traffic signs/lights, and the simple concept of looking before turning or passing? Were I Russian, I'd be a repair garage owner. I'd be a millionaire in no time.
    I have noticed here, the worse the weather is, the more folks get out and drive in it.
    I keep plenty of books, LED lanterns and plenty batteries.
    aI'm into scale modeling, so as long as I have light, that hobby passes time.

Zimmy, Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  15. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

A couple of pieces of rope and a Book of Knots can keep bored people entertained for days.

It becomes akin to word puzzle books or solitaire.

Motomom34, Gator 45/70 and Yard Dart like this.
  16. The_Prepared

The_Prepared Derpy Monkey

Yep, big myth. Besides those entry points, the overall design isn't meant to keep flood water out, it's meant to keep spray in.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

It is possible to put a flap /check valve on your sewer to prevent this back wash.
    People in low lying areas that the sewage needs to be pumped out to a higher level do this .

18. hot diggity

Ants! Water rises and so do they. If you are the only thing dry above water they will climb you and bite.

They are everywhere!

19. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Right you are. In a flood, fireants make rafts and float. You do not want one to touch you!
    A buddy in one major flood also was catching pan sized catfish in his yard, over a mile from the closest ponds and river. Snakes and gators get displaced, and can be anywhere too.

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

Careful, or next hurrycane comes down your way, I'll be asking for you to make me a model of a '67-72 Ford F-100 shortbed truck w/ a '67 grill in Grabber Blue! :)

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Yard Dart
  3. Yard Dart
  4. fl4848
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Coyote Ridge
  11. Motomom34