I finally got my eating bunnys!

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by tedrow42, Jul 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. tedrow42

tedrow42 Monkey+

So I got a breeding pair of new Zealand rabbits the female should be bread. Feeding pellets and hay. They got eat mites so I'm treating that. Pics coming later

2. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Those are some good tasting rabbits! Fairly quick to finishing weight, too.

3. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Good for you. Been told you can drip olive oil in the ears for mites...seems a little preemptive, but what do I know? Haha.

4. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Let us know how those BBQ babies turn out. Been years since I've eaten rabbit, and that was wild cottontail that I shot. It wasn't half bad as long as you throw the shoulders away. Those are like chewing on neoprene automotive gasket material.

5. tedrow42

tedrow42 Monkey+

I just got the commercial stuff. I want to know they are gone. They say you can use an old penny to get rid of worms in dogs too but they come back.

I wanted Rex but I got the pair and a cage for 60 bucks delivered

chelloveck likes this.
  6. tedrow42

tedrow42 Monkey+

Last ones I had where good. Wife never had it so I got some for her to try made stew with one and cooked the other like a roast with tatters and carrots and yeah now that you mention it the shoulder was a little tough

7. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

May your breeding pair be maximally fecund and have many kits.

upload_2016-7-12_20-31-49.
    Via: Did you know?

A magnifying glass may be a help in sexing kits. :)

tedrow42 likes this.
  8. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

Iphone pics 020.JPG A small drop the size of a pea of apple flavored Ivermectin and you wont have to worry about them again for at least 6 months!
    Take it from me, it's the way to go.
    I've been doing rabbits on a medium scale (about 100 a year) for 3 years now. If you dose the mother the babies will be immunized as well through the milk, and because you don't butcher till 3 months the Ivermectin only lasts 6 weeks in the system but that's long enough to kill an after hatch and prevent re-infestation.
    Make sure and dose all adult rabbits at the same time and your problem is solved!
    Consider spending the money on a Flemish Giant Buck. They go 22 lbs at full growth. I have them in my bloodline crossed with New Z's and my other large breeds.
    At 3 months I just butchered 7 and after head, feet and guts were removed they weighed out at 5.5 lbs in contrast to 2.5 lbs at the same age for New Z's.
    MEAT RABBIT UPDATE!!! YEAR ONE | Page 3 | Survival Monkey Forums

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  9. MountainMariner

MountainMariner Clearly Ambiguous

That is a huge rabbit. I'm impressed.

Gopherman likes this.
  10. Gopherman

I have a male and 2 females now. I cross breed them with my Giant Chinchillas and New Zealand's.
    When they are Chinchilla crossed the throw the most beautiful babies, From an almost purple grey all the way up to Seal Point Siamese colored. It's almost a shame to eat them! (Almost ;)).I want to tan enough pelts to make my daughter a jacket out of them.It's something she could cherish her whole life.Or Not!
    I'll post a couple pics of them but Dang they get big fast!

chelloveck likes this.
  11. tedrow42

tedrow42 Monkey+

They are around 75 bucks the only one I seen around here. Do the crosses eat a lot more? I was told Flemish eat too much to be useful as meat stock. Might see down the line about getting into that mix. Idk if I will even keep at it. Land lord said I could have rabbits but I don't think he knows I'm eating them lol

Gopherman and chelloveck like this.
  12. Gopherman

They don't eat any more than my other rabbits.You will have to put a board in with them, because of their weight they get sore feet standing on the wire.They are definitely worth the money. I think I paid $50 for mine. they wanted $100 if I got the pedigree, but I can't eat the papers.:)

chelloveck likes this.
  13. chelloveck

Rabbit stew doesn't taste any better for being made of pedigreed ingredients.

tedrow42 and Gopherman like this.
  14. Gopherman

It's funny you would say that, when people think of Rabbit Meat They always say stew. LOL
    I use it in stir fry, deep fry like chicken strips, jerky, fajita's and pretty much anything I would use chicken with. It is slightly tougher than chicken unless it's pressure cooked first or very slow cooked. Then it's as tender as all get out.
    I freeze a couple whole, every time I butcher for slow cooking, the meat falls right off the bone, then we cook stir fry with whats left over.

15. Gopherman

[​IMG]
    Chinchilla these female run at about 10-12 lbs full grown, 17 when crossed with the Flemish
    [​IMG]
    Flemish Giant They always seem to show the Red ones, but they come in black and grey as well.

16. chelloveck

I should have said it as "wabbit stew" with an Elmer Fudd voice over....I don't think he was much of a fricassee chicken devotee. ;)

Gopherman likes this.
  17. Too Country

Too Country Jack of all trades and master of none.

We used to use sweet oil for all things ear related and it works. Used Olive oil to kill yeast in a dogs ears more than one.

Ganado likes this.
  1. Shotgunpapa
  2. Kingfish
  3. Ganado
  4. Gopherman
  5. Dont
  6. Dont
  7. Gopherman
  8. Seacowboys
  9. Seacowboys
  10. pgrass101
  11. Tango3