MEAT RABBIT UPDATE!!! YEAR ONE

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Gopherman, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

chelloveck and ditch witch like this.
  2. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

[LMAO]! that was a great post!!
    Headline " Pampered Pet Gets Et!"
    The last obstacle at my house would be right out of it's hide and right into the frying pan![lolol]
    What really SUCKS is, I am getting ready to post a butchering video! I'll have to wait a little while now! ;)

Ganado and kellory like this.
  3. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

LOL we watched the hopping class at ARBA convention and I couldn't stop cracking up. They were so funny! Some of them really go to town.

chelloveck, Gopherman and Ganado like this.
  4. Gopherman

Ok you Guy's / Gals, STOP IT!! Ahhhhhhh!!!! [banghead] [gun2][deadhorse] couldn't find a rabbit emoticon! LOL This kinda looks almost as big as a Flemish Though!!
    If I could train my rabbits to jump like that, I could get a little Skeet Practice in!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
    chelloveck, Yard Dart and Ganado like this.
  5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

It made me laugh too

Gopherman likes this.
  6. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Eastern side of Rockies in Idaho. Every rabbit dies in short order and I was told it was some sort of rabbit fever disease up there. Didn't see any wild rabbits up there either.

7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Actually there just isn't much of Idaho, that is "East of the Rockies"....

Ganado likes this.
  8. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@Gopherman Where is your rabbit butchering video? I cant wait to see it =)

this Deboning video and the receipe was great
    Awesome Recipe For Rabbit | Survival Forums

9. Gopherman

I taped it on a very expensive camera and now cant figure out how to upload it. My sons friend is gonna help me.LOL

Ganado likes this.
  10. Gopherman

Ok, here it is, not for the "Bunny Olympic Lovers" for sure, so all of you go to another thread![LMAO]

Sapper John and Ganado like this.
  11. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Dang @Gopherman you are fast at skinning and gutting. Well done!

thank you for posting these much appreciated!

12. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Gopherman likes this.
  13. Gopherman

Yeah that site will keep ya busy for a long time. Its amazing how many people are waking up. We had some people over for dinner a couple nights ago and they want to get together and buy some land and start Building it up right now, here a good reason to be thinking quick!
    EconomicPolicyJournal.com

Ganado likes this.
  14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I just bought some rabbit jerky for my dog. It was expensive. One strip about 4" long, paper thin was $1. It is hard and the dog choked on the second piece. So I was thinking @Gopherman have you ever experimented in making rabbit jerky or rabbit bacon? There is a difference between regular bacon and turkey bacon. Would rabbit make a good bacon?

Gopherman and Ganado like this.
  15. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Gopherman and Motomom34 like this.
  16. Gopherman

Actually I am buying a grinder attachment for my wife's KitchenAid blender I'm going to make Pemmican! Finally get to use that white elephant that eats up all my counter space!!
    From what I understand Rabbit can also be used for Pemmican and Dried fish as well.
    Supposedly it will last in excess of 50 years and some even claiming 100. My goats are in very real danger now!

Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  17. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Gopherman and Motomom34 like this.
  18. kemps

kemps Monkey

So can I ask a noob question? I have interest in eventually raising rabbits for a meat source. I am (I admit) completely new to any sort of animal raising/butchering etc and kind of nervous about it. Does anyone have any ideas how I can learn/get help with getting over my "city girl attachments" to animals? I know, kinda sad :rolleyes: I don't wanna end up like others and start in it, freak out then abandon it before I can even learn anything. I really wanna be able to take care of my own food needs and those of my family. Thanks everyone! :D

chelloveck likes this.
  19. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@kemps the only way to get over it is do just kill one, you always cry on the first one but after that it doesnt seem to be as hard.

The 1st deer I ever shot I had to vomit after I slit its throat (it wasn't a clean kill). The next one makes you a better shot for a more humane kill.

With Rabbits we just hit them behind the ears, I cried for the 1st two and kept moving. Life gives to life, being grateful for a death that lets you live, for me, is essential.

I can't say its easier, ever, but you do have to experience it to be able to appreciate life and it never gets easier you just can compartmentalize more.

Cruisin Sloth and Dunerunner like this.
  20. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

You must give thanks to the animal spirit for giving it's life to sustain yours...

Like harvesting wild sage... Give thanks to the Mother sage...

Cruisin Sloth and ghrit like this.
  1. tedrow42
  2. Shotgunpapa
  3. Kingfish
  4. tedrow42
  5. ditch witch
  6. cabot
  7. Ganado
  8. Recon24
  9. Dont
  10. Dont
  11. Gopherman