I HAVE ELECTRIC TONIGHT!

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Kathy in WV, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Kathy in WV

Kathy in WV Just runnin' the ridges...

Went to Sams Club to shop and when I got home the lights were on! Thank God for every miracle!!!! Yay!!! The [shtf]is officially over for now at least. First thing I did was take a HOT shower, lol. I'm doing laundry with HOT WATER right now and there ain't a washboard in sight... I'm tellin' ya, it's a goooood day. [touchdown]It wasn't fun, but we really survived it just fine. The old portable genny blew up this morning and the new one isn't hooked up yet. Was worried about how long the freezer would be ok. Thankful to God that after saving the food in it this long it's really going to be ok!

2. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

congrats.... hope you anf yours are cool, clean and well fed....

Kathy in WV likes this.
  3. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Sometimes a loss allows us to better appreciate a thing (or someone) all that much more.

I love running water, hot showers, wash machines, etc, etc. Ain't civilization great?

Glad to hear you are up and running. Is some power still out in your area?

Kathy in WV likes this.
  4. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Good news.

Kathy in WV likes this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Welcome back to the 20th Century.... Isn't electricity Grand......

Kathy in WV likes this.
  6. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

I am so glad to see things starting to come back on line for everyone

Hope it will be a little cooler for you[​IMG]

Kathy in WV and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

That is a good feeling. Congrats!

If you don't mind, why don't you brief the group on any changes/updates that you're going to add to your preps based on your experience (e.g., propane shower, generator for the fridge, kerosene lamps).

oldawg and Alpha Dog like this.
  8. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

A hot shower and a hot meal will make almost ANY situation seem better.

Look at changing your electric water heater to propane. We did that after an extended power outage about 20 years ago, and LOVE IT. You can't run it out of hot water, and doesn't require any electric to keep on trucking.

Kathy in WV and Yard Dart like this.
  9. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

Change all your heating appliances over to propane. Then , especially in the winters, should you use power, you can still cook, take hot showers and be warm in your house when you wish.

Also then with a propane generater, you wouldn't have to worry about stockpiling gas for the gennie

TnAndy likes this.
  10. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

We have two of the fire places and the hot water heater on NG. The last couple of times we lost power for a week or so- we were good to go with heat and hot water for showers- in the dead of winter. Made for some good mornings with a hot shower. Most of our neighbors left to freinds and families with power due to the cold.

11. PAGUY

PAGUY Monkey

How long was the outage? I have friends in Jackson county WV that had no power for over two weeks. Live and learn. Make small improvements to improve and discovered issues.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7