I made gas prices largely obsolete

Discussion in 'Peak Oil' started by oil pan 4, May 15, 2018.

1. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

I saw today, where he was bitching at the fact that oil prices went down, so why didn't gasoline prices follow? I guess in over 40 years of gummint service, no one ever taught him the basic economic principle, of supply and demand?? :rolleyes::unsure:

johnbb and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

Bidumb has never worked a real job supply and demand he knows nothing about well he knows demand when the want more money they demand a tax hike

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

That aged well.
    I have driven the shit out of this thing in 4 years. Nearly 60,000 miles. I have bought 1 gallon of transmission fluid for it and used a quart and a half, a pint of brake fluid, a 12v battery and a set of tires. Used around 16 to 17 megawatt hours of electricity.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

What's a new set of battery's running nowadays?

6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Stupid dip shits are paying dealers something to the tune of $8,500 to replace a fried 24kwh battery with a new possibility less shity 24kwh battery.
    Fools and money are soon parted.
    If people would read the damn manual and didn't leave the battery charged to 100% and sit for days at a time they won't need a replacement battery.
    If I was going to spend $8,500 I would get a wrecked 2019 or newer leaf, use the motor, inverter, battery and double the horsepower and triple the range on mine.

7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Hahaha I drive 75mph down the highway in my leaf passing 96% of the pickups like they are parked.
    Yeah definitely don't buy an electric vehicle now, I could sell my leaf that I bought for $7,000 in 2018 for $10,000 tomorrow if I wanted to and probably $12,000 to $13,000 if I wasn't in a hury.

Gator 45/70 and natshare like this.
  8. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Hybrids are still the way to go, IMHO. With the warmer weather, I'm averaging high 30's MPG, with a 5 passenger small SUV (Hyundai Tucson hybrid). 14 gallon tank will get me over 450 miles. (y)
    Best of all, the battery pack is warrantied at the 10 year/100,000 mile setpoint. So even if I'm 9 years into it, I'm still getting a free battery replacement.

Gator 45/70 and CraftyMofo like this.
  9. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

I like my diesel SUV. 34 mpg, 20 gallon tank.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Our 2018 Hyundai hybrid car has been broken down for nearly 2 months, at the dealer, under warranty.
    I'm getting, then the cv joint went bad on our spare car so it was down for a week while I waited for a reman cv axle to come in.
    I'm buying all the shit to pull apart a cv axle, not to save money but to get same day or next day turn around on cv axles.
    This waiting a week shit ain't gonna cut it.
    I have a hydraulic press so putting them back together isn't a problem.

Homer Simpson and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

@oil pan 4 Just remember to have a supply of CV Joint Grease, as well as replacement Rubber Boot Covers, on hand as well or you will be replacing them again in short order

oil pan 4 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

There was no core charge on that cv I just I replaced I'm going to clean it, regresse it, new boot and put it on a shelf.

13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I did the second oil change on my leaf, at 110,000 miles, the oil had 38,000 miles on it. Blackstone labs said it was good to go for 45,000.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Why change it?

oil pan 4 likes this.
  15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The belly pan came loose after running over some shit, while I was reattaching it I changed the oil.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

When the belly pan came loose I removed it for several days. The impact on range was about as bad as towing my 4x8 trailer empty.
    So before I put it back on I traced it on a big cardboard flat screen TV box I had shoved in a closet. If the belly pan gets ripped off and I never see it again at least I'll have the hole locations and the shape saved. I will remake it out of 1/8'' diamond tread.
    It's held in place with about 9 plastic trim snaps and 5 trim screws. Trim are acceptable, but snaps aren't going to hold 1/8'' diamond tread at all, I'll weld 1/4 inch flange nuts into the hole and secure it with the 5 trim screws and 9 quarter twenty bolts. Cause if that 1/8 inch belly pan comes off on the highway it could kill someone.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Can you really weld on an electric car without causing arc damage in the motors?
    I have no plans to weld on an EV but stuff happens when you arc out.

18. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I have already welded on my leaf it was off and not charging when I did. Electric cars are made with extra electromagnetic shielding. The only thing that damages them is a lighting hit on very near by power lines. I have noticed at least half the "my leaf won't charge" message board topics come from Florida, where they have a high population and get thunderstorms nearly every single day during summer.
    The car still drives, till the battery runs out of power. My solution, when I can hear thunder within a few miles unplug till the thunderstorms pass.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I was getting setup to weld some aluminum with my state of the art 1970s welding setup and realized I have fired up the high frequency next to my car a bunch of times.
    It throws off broad spectrum rfi and emi like using a microwave to nuke an aluminum foil hat with the door open.
    I turned it on next to my O-scope and it went nuts, I didn't even strike an arc.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Thought you welded on that machine before?

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7