I Passed the LA SHTF No Power for 12 Hours in 100 Degree Weather Test- I Rock!

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ED GEiN, Jul 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Think he said a battery operated one was on hand.

2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Do not let them know you have food stashed away. If a real outage happens they will be bugging you for food three days in and a week in may be bashing down your door. If you have already told them then I'd follow up along the lines of "It's a good idea, maybe I'll start packing some food away. Right now I just have too many bills (or other excuse)". Then keep a couple cases of Ramen noodles on hand ($15) and if you have an extended outage share those.Your ideal food is canned because it already has the water and most can be eaten uncooked right out of the can. Make sure you have extra can openers.

3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Gator 45/70 and Tully Mars like this.
  4. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Honestly I picked the first one that popped up in the search. I've never used that model, it was mainly for reference to give ED an idea of where to start looking.

Motomom34 likes this.
  5. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Most definitely. We have it down to an art form, in this part of the World. :)

510UD0JS72L._SY300_.
    B1051801388.
    custom_image.
    CoconutWithStrawInIt-m-0515..653x0_q80_crop-smart.

Oh, I forgot. A bikini clad chick is optional.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    Yard Dart, oldawg, RightHand and 4 others like this.
  6. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

A wise old owl lived in an oak
    The more he saw the less he spoke
    The less he spoke the more he heard.
    Why can't we all be like that wise old bird?[1]

7. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

ED GEiN, Motomom34 and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  8. Asia-Off-Grid

Motomom34 likes this.
  9. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

This chick?
    upload_2017-7-10_19-54-21.

Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
  10. Asia-Off-Grid

Uh. Um. Well, if that's what you are into, sure. Why not? :D

Yard Dart, Tully Mars and Motomom34 like this.
  11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

ED GAIN Portable AC apparatus.

ed gain.

Motomom34 likes this.
  12. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

@ED GEiN don't wait for the next outage to test your new ideas. Plan a weekend drill with no electricity and see if you can make it the entire weekend. If you find a weak spot you can always turn it back on - a luxury you won't have with the real thing. You can then test longer periods as you work out the kinks. Also, no need to shut off the fridge as long as you keep that door closed. Next step - what happens when the water doesn't work, either. If you buy water from the local store make sure you use cash and not credit. What? You need to have cash on hand in case the electronic systems are down?????

13. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Sure!

Can't you get what is called a Portable A/C? My sister used to have 2 for rooms in her House. You just roll them in the room and plug them in. She got these because her old central A/C was really bad in the evenings. I can find out the brand name she has if you want. I think Best Buy sells them.

I heard that Portable Generators make too much noise especially if one lives in an apartment! Are there any that don't?

Good idea but I don't have the balls to try this at this point! Out of curiosity, how much cash do you keep on hand in the event of things like Electric Systems down, etc? Do you recommend trying to use it all at once or just as applicable because I know at certain points people won't take cash for goods. I've been fairly neglectful and just have kept at most $300 around cause the ATM's and Supermarkets with Cash back are a 5 minute walk.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2017
    Motomom34 likes this.
  14. Asia-Off-Grid

I have the 230vac, 50hz version of the Honda EU2000i. It is a Honda EU20i. When running in Econo mode, you can carry on a "room level" conversation with it 3 to 4 meters from you.

Yard Dart, Tully Mars and ED GEiN like this.
  15. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Thanks I'll check this one out. So to reiterate, for at least this model, you can turn it on and people will not hear it in either the apartment above or below me or outside a closed door or outside a closed window? What about the other modes in your opinion? Thanks
    PS This sounds like a good deal but right now at $1,000 its beyond my budget though I can definitely see getting it in a few years. On You Tube it still sounded a bit loud to use in an apartment. Thanks for letting me know about this.

"Can't we all just get along" - A Wise Old Rodney King

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2017
    Tully Mars likes this.
  16. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

This is a good idea, cash on hand but also know where the local Mom & Pop's store is because the big chains like Safeway will not sell when the power is out. My local Safeway had computer issues and would not take cash. They were turning people away at the door. Their inventory and pricing is all computer. The checkers have no clue what prices are unless the computer tells them and they are too lazy to go check and get out a calculator. We have a couple of local small business stores that still use price tags. Those are the places that will still sell during a blackout.

17. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

@Motomom34 you make a good point. I have a cash reserve for that last chance shopping trip to WalMart. Long as the grid is up I think it's a good idea. However, in a grid down situation, WalMart will be unable to sell anything. Then it dollar stores, convienence stores or Mom and Pops, maybe.

Motomom34 likes this.
  18. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

I have been through power outages in the city and country. I was in Los Angeles and had a 5 day power outage during a heat wave. I was in Maine and had a 5 day power outage during an ice storm.

When it comes to power outages under a week I would rather be in the city. You have everything you need within driving, or even walking, distance. When its over a week you run the chance of being in an SHTF situation and things start going bad. That being said you should start preparing. First thing is location. It is cooler and more windy the higher your altitude. Lower is hotter. I was on a hill at 2000ft and ran 10-20 degrees cooler than 'down the hill'. You also want to get off the grid. Get solar panels on your roof and a battery pack. In the desert we have solar, wind, a well, and garden.

When it comes to power outages in the country you want to make sure you have a generator and wood stove. We run the generator for an hour then 4 hours off in outages. I have 10 gallons of petrol at all times but in the country we can't just go down to the store. Roads are closed sometimes for days. I have had pipes bust and stuff freeze solid like the fish tank.

Which is worse? I would rather be in the heat than the cold but that is a personal pref. Heat is much easier to deal with and you always have sun for solar. In New England the ticks will cripple you the water is no good to drink and the fish are filled with PCBs. There is poison ivy everywhere. The caterpillars are worse than poison ivy. In the heat the snakes and spiders are more rare but at least they have the decency to just kill you.

19. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

You make an excellent point Moto.
    If my only option was a large box store I would hunt up the manager and offer HIM/HER cash in a private deal. So much cash for a cart of goods.This would probably only work during or shortly after a SHTF event. If all else fails a couple of small shiny gold coins would most likely do the trick. Never under estimate the power of greed...

20. Homer Simpson

Homer Simpson Monkey+++

First, let me say good for you for not only making it through that 12 hours, but for thinking how to make the next time more comfortable.

The generator is a good idea, EXCEPT for the fact you live in an apartment. Do you have a place to run it OUTSIDE? A place to chain it down? Generators are notorious for growing "automatic feet" and just wandering off to never be seen again. Run one inside and you will most likely die due to the exhaust. Do you have a safe place to store gasoline? The closet of your apartment is not a safe place to store gas.

Here are my suggestions for having some affordable DC power in your situation. The "ease" and to some extent the "affordability" of this is somewhat dependent on your ability to channel your inner MacGyver.

THE "PROFESSIONAL SOLAR GUYS AND OFF GRIDERS" KNOW THIS KIT IS JUNK! I do not have this exact kit, I have the older "original" 45 watt kit they used to sell. I'll take "junk" that works and I can afford over the "greatest thing since sliced bread" that I can't afford. Yes there are better kits out there, feel free to research them. After 6 or so years, my kit still works same as it did new, I am looking to upgrade at sometime in the future. Definitely use a coupon to buy this!

100 Watt Solar Panel Kit

THERE ARE BETTER KITS THAN THIS! I like this kit because everything you need (except the battery) is all in one box.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Lawn-Garden-Battery-Group-Size-U1P-7/49988407

Put your solar panels inside your window that gets the most, longest amount of sun each day. In most cases you can use this type of tension curtain rod. This is a compromise. Inside the window is not the best or most optimal place. During the best part of the day, I get about 75% of what I would get if my panels were mounted outside. I am keeping in mind that you live in an apartment and no part of your situation is "optimal".

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Spring-Tension-Window-Curtain-Rod-18-28-Length-White/50015124

What I like about this kind of rig, is that the solar panels can be kept in a closet or other out of the way place until needed. Once the kinks are worked out, you should be able to deploy the system in minutes. There is no noise to attract unwanted attention. This rig up could also be portable fairly easy. I would not want to hike it far in a backpack, but it would be easily transportable in a car, or even a game cart. When not needed (when there is grid power) you can leave your battery on something like this.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Battery-...75035&wl11=online&wl12=15779492&wl13=&veh=sem

So for +/- $250 you have some power. Running 1 or 2 of those fans, and a window that gets a good amount of sun each day, you should not have a problem keeping the battery charged.

NO THIS IS NOT AN "OPTIMAL" SYSTEM. Living in an apartment does not really allow for optimal. Sometimes you just have to work with what will make do until conditions allow you to do better.

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Yard Dart
  3. Yard Dart
  4. fl4848
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Coyote Ridge
  11. Motomom34
  12. Meat