I Passed the LA SHTF No Power for 12 Hours in 100 Degree Weather Test- I Rock!

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ED GEiN, Jul 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

No balls are necessary as you can turn your power back on at any time. Just think of it as camping inside your apartment. Or if you prefer actually go camping, but use similar supplies.

As far as balls in general you will likely need some 4XL sized ones if things ever do go south. It's best to grow them now so you will have them ready for when you do need them.

As far as cash - I would suggest making it a habit to withdraw a small amount of cash each time you make a purchase and add it to your cash stash. Make sure you have different denominations. Initially items will be at normal prices, so you will want ones, fives, tens and twenties. If it goes on long enough expect for prices to rise dramatically.

ED GEiN, oldawg, Tully Mars and 2 others like this.
  2. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

LOL The problem in LA or at least the neighborhood I live in, they're too honest/conservative to make Private Deals!

Thanks for telling me about dying from exhaust. You may have saved my future life! Outside is fine for a Generator where I live though the problem is the Heat! My Sister lives in a House about 10 blocks away so it would be more practical there.

How much cash on hand do you recommend? I like the idea of camping in my apartment, lol.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2017
    Motomom34 likes this.
  3. Capt. Tyree

Capt. Tyree Hawkeye

Folks here in the Monkey Tree are not going to get specific about cash recommendations. That's a personal issue based on the variables of your local shopping market, as well as the extent of your ability to secure valuables---even how many "hidey holes" you may have in your residence. Best thing to say is build up your liquid cash reserves in various sized bill denominations to your own personal comfort level. You know what and how you spend. Then increase that a little more, and maybe a little further again with each opportunity to add liquidity; and of course discretion is an admirable trait.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  4. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Rather than a specific dollar amount, figure out how much you spend on each trip to the grocery store you make in, say, 2 weeks and double it. Does that make sense? No? Why not?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    ED GEiN and 3M-TA3 like this.
  5. Homer Simpson

Homer Simpson Monkey+++

In my AO, there are on average 3 to 5 reports a winter of people or whole families dying from co2 poisoning from generators. Better to mention it than not in my book.

ED GEiN, 3M-TA3 and Tully Mars like this.
  6. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

You might dangle a small gennie out the window on a rope ---

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Only econo and full throttle. A considerable difference between the two. I use an EU20i at an apartment I have in the city. There are other tenants here and they don't hear it at all.

EDIT: Do keep in mind, I am NOT talking about running a genset inside your home. I run mine outside the building. I would NEVER run one inside a house or apartment.

8. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Why use a rope when you have power cords plugged into it...

9. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

I'm afraid, once a grid down situation occurs, it's going to be like the liberals on the last Presidential Election Day. :D

Homer Simpson likes this.
  10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

In practical terms you may not want to be out and about post SHTF as others will be frantic .case in point Venezuela .
    Also being out an about means not watching over your home and loved ones.
    Best if you've got your things together now, rather then depend on the last minuet to get the things you need .
    Running generator is going to attract attention ,the sound and the smell of the exhaust ,one way or another people will find it .
    If you leave it unattended, or loan it out , it will disappear .
    A trusted friend has nothing invested, and not likely to baby sit it, while it works. A good friend will listen now, and have a generator of his own, not needing to borrow yours or beg fuel.
    When I lived on the desert we had a battery bank and solar ,but during the winter the sun was too low in the south for the solar to do much good, so I rigged a 5 Hp briggs engine and automotive alternator to charge the battery bank, and we did pretty well with it. more efficiently than running on a generator alone for power.
    In those days there were no LEDs , just DC incandescent Automotive lights , which use significantly more power but still more efficient than AC lights .
    A generator is going to burn X amount of fuel just running and more under a load. the great thing about batteries is that they absorb energy from several different means, and hold it for use later not needing constant supply of incoming energy. " no noise at night for lighting."
    Speaking of lighting, post SHTF and no one else has power, it might be best if you have boarded up the windows so no light escapes to the out side , desperate people will be attracted like a moth to a flame, literally.

11. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

LOL One of the best scenes ever was seeing all these spoiled privileged Hillary supporters crying in an Auditorium realizing for the first time in their lives they lost at something and mommy and daddy wouldn't be there to fix it!

Kudos. I'm not worthy. You really got your act together.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2017
  12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

ED GEIN Survival Portable A.C. Unit

ac machine.

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Yard Dart
  3. Yard Dart
  4. fl4848
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. Yard Dart