I Survived my First Real SHTF Moment on LA- No Power for 12 Hours Good Learning Experience!

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ED GEiN, Oct 11, 2019.

1. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Thanks and I will heed your advice. I usually have about 192 16 ounce bottles of Aquafina Water on hand (would have more but for apartment space) and have a WaterBOB Emergency Drinking Water Storage (100 Gallons). Unfortunately I can' diminish the potential stink in order apartments should the SHTF. Hopefully my sister will let me move into her House though she doesn't have anything close to my food and water resources.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

That Ex-gang idea is stupid hoss...

3. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

If you can and she agrees, preposition some LTS food and water stocks at her place. Lockable plastic tubs aren't expensive.
    My last major power outtage was four days. Lost some food in the fridge/freezer, but otherwise got along okay. My charger bricks kept my smartphone charged. Got LED lanterns and a couple battery radios, and plenty batteries. Have lots of books.
    Entertainment wasn't a problem. City water never failed, but I keep a month's supply of water on hand. Got plenty of food.
    I don't let anyone know my preps. And I am armed.

4. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

eddie, you should leave now. There are some evacs in place for fire according to the news, and YOU in particular, need a head start.

5. Gafarmboy

Gafarmboy Monkey+++

Seepalaces, 3M-TA3 and sec_monkey like this.
  6. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

• being an 80 unit building in LA it's a tall sucker - most likely one in a multi-apartment building string of buildings >> what'll happen first is the reluctance to climb stairs with the elevators out - all kinds of people ganging up outside the buildings up & down the street - formula for trouble >>> wouldn't want to be in those lower floor desirable apartments - if lucky you just get evicted and not tossed out a window ...

7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

WOW, no Starbucks, How will you survive?

Gator 45/70, Thunder5Ranch and 3M-TA3 like this.
  8. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

@ED GEiN be aware that 7 gallons of water = 56 lbs (7 gallons * 8 lbs / gallon = 56 lbs) so unless you can lift and carry ~60 lbs these may not be for you.

9. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Don't forget. Some must drop their shorts in order to be able to count to 21.

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Never base your survival on someone else unless it is yer wife and children. Adult relatives make their own decisions and their decisions should never be the basis for your decisions. ALso a really bad idea basing your decisions on what someone else may or may not allow you to do.

11. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Not allowed since Men are given a two point advantage in thing they can count below the waist and above the knee (i.e. "the twins") over women and that is politically unacceptable. You are also not allowed to discuss the theoretical counting of a man bun as it causes cognitive dissonance among the progressive elite. On one hand it is a male advantage, on the other hand it is a gateway to becoming a submissive male and eventually a post op non cisgendered something or other.

12. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I'm sorry, I'm a dick. 12 hours w/o power isn't SHTF unless you require an oxygen generator or other medical equipment to survive.
    Every summer I spend at least a week off grid. No running water unless you consider running to the lake or creek to get water. Then boiling it on the wood stove. Well point and hand pump going in next spring. Getting up with the sun and going to bed after the night fire dies down. Granted it's in a roofed building and there is a grand fathered outhouse on the property.
    Typically don't head to the outhouse at night because I don't want to meet a bear in the dark.

Mother nature here finds a good reason to drop numerous trees across the power lines in my AO every year good enough for 48-72 hours without power. Only time that 2-3 days w/o power sucks hard is when it happens in winter and it's below zero. It does get interesting then. Summer time .. it is just an inconvenience.

Breaking out the freeze dried food kind early. I'd have gone for the perishable produce on hand that typically doesn't require cooking and is going to go bad way before your MREs. Heck leftovers in the fridge would probably be gone before the apples on the counter. Cold split pea soup from last night tastes better if you just tell yourself it's Gazpacho from the deli down the street.

That way, you can conserve your fuel and non-perishable items for when it really gets bad .. say right after the 2020 election results come in.

But I'd say, at least you now can learn from your experience of being without and can come up with a better plan to deal with the expected unexpected.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  13. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Yup... My off grid campsite... :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

14. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I think I like that better than a 20x20 stick built box. Plus it's mobile!

15. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Goodness...tack on a couple of Pratt and Whitney turbo props and that thing 'd come pretty close to flying. :eek:

oldawg, sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

80 unit apartments? ED I pray you have an escape plan and enough rope to reach the ground safely!

17. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

Good thought! Although rappelling is a skill best learned under supervision, and in broad daylight. Not with a fire at your entry door providing the only illumination.
    There are reasonably priced escape ladders - amazon et al. The longest I'm aware of is 53': call it three stories, four with a drop to the ground.

18. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

If it would have been 12 days people would have been eating each other.
    That would have been fun to watch.

Gator 45/70, sec_monkey and Lancer like this.
  19. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Any method you expect to use, you need practice with.
    A rope is not a ladder and rope ladder is not a ladder ,it is a ladder made of spaghetti .
    Going down a rope is not all that easy either , especially if you've never done it.
    Ideally one has a sit harness and figure 8 for repelling and practice doing so enough so that you can teach others how its done.
    So far as getting water, I buy 1 gallon jugs of Simply Orange Juice ,the jugs are a nice thick plastic and clear . once emptied I wash out and fill with water and an ounce of colloidal silver.and put them away. Other than that I have about 2 K of water in large and small containers some won't be moved but that's life. I also plan to refuter all my water that has been stored, just for GP
    Another container I use is those bags volume product come in like wine in a box.
    These are tough and not shape specific so they fit any where and decrease in size as you use the contents. My son got me started on those when he was working a restaurant and the milk came in boxes, he saved the bags for me.
    I also have water in a 500gallon tank for my fish and chickens and gardening. Aquaponics.
    If you expect to go in foot and vehicles are out of the question a hand cart might serve well to haul the heavier items you need particularly of value in barter.

20. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I've slept through 12 hour power outages, or most of them. Concerning the hot water, if your hot-water heater has a tank, you should have had hot water for days. Our power was out for 3 or 4 days during the tornados of 2011 and I was able to take a short shower before going to work on Monday. As for drinking water you can always fill your bathtub or keep your preps in a plastic garbage can. You just remove the preps and fill the garbage can with 30-40 gals. of water. I would talk to your sister and brother-in-law about storing food, water, etc. at their house. Don't freak them out with talk of EMPs, CMEs, economic collapse, etc., y'all live in California, talk about earthquakes, fires, and blackouts. Help each other, spend more time getting to know and like them, let them know that they are welcome at your place.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7