I Survived my First Real SHTF Moment on LA- No Power for 12 Hours Good Learning Experience!

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ED GEiN, Oct 11, 2019.

1. starbright

starbright Monkey

Get a LifeStraw or a Sawyer Mini. You cannot store enough potable water to make it through a real SHTF event.

Do yourself a favor and make plans to go tent camping in a park. Don't bring anything electrical/electronics except lights or lamps. You will learn so many things, most of which you didn't even know that you knew nothing about.

oldawg, ghrit, Thunder5Ranch and 3 others like this.
  2. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I've had to wait several days before posting on this thread because i found about half of the posts, some from moderators, condescending in tone and content. The other half of the posts were great suggestions and ideas.

And for those of you who had suggestions and ideas I want to thank you for following the spirit of this site which, as i recall, was to encourage people, in whatever their circumstances and level of preparation, to continue to prep from wherever they are and then to look at the holes in their preps and fill in those gaps and move forward. [Moto]

For those of you who were sarcastic, condescending, or just thought you had to post to be funny, you might want to consider where you were 10 -15 years ago in your preps and consider being a mentor rather than a critic with an attitude.

I know some times it can be a bit annoying to answer the same questions over and over again but in this case we had a member posting an experience for a unique situation that was not an end of the world apocalypse but still a valid situation that required some preps and he posted his experience and some things that were important to him to prepare for in the future. His order of importance may not match your order of importance but that does not grant you the right to be rude or judegmental about his perspective.

If you have lost your ability to mentor other people or post new content then you might want to consider taking a break from this site until your get your perspective back on what this site is about. Its not the troll the new people site.... (at least I hope it isnt becoming that).

Again for those of you who posted suggestions and feedback. Thank you!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  3. Gafarmboy

Gafarmboy Monkey+++

Amen Sister. Felt the same way about many of those post. Hang in there Ed, we all started as newbies in this area. As with life, cull the shit and save the good bits.

4. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

I'm not sure it's possible to mentor someone who has clearly demonstrated a propensity to post silly crap.....in fact, I suspect the site is being spoofed by this particular poster. Anyone whose first priority in a SHTF situation is their quantity of entertainment is either pulling our leg for their own agenda, or simply is beyond help.

But I'll accept your request and remove myself from the pool.

Mountainman, Ganado, Merkun and 2 others like this.
  5. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

I like the real world and how it teaches things. Some learn by other's experiences and take the advice freely given, some don't. I don't think eddie is jerking our chain, but his inability to think things thru without assistance is remarkable.

6. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

you'd think so - but believe it or not - the younger generation preparing in WA or OR for the Big Quake or CA wildfires are just 72 Hour FEMA concerned - their bigger concern is being off line or not having other distractions ...
    if you tap into Reddit and their various sub categories - including preppers - some of the biggest discussion is pure electronic entertainment - solar panels - battery packs - ect ect ...
    what it should signal to you is to be prepared for a whole different kind of SHTF frantic - there was a spoof movie made about Hollyweird buddies facing the end of the world together - probably closer to the truth more than a spoof ...

7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

8. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I was both critical and helpful...so I'm good!

Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  9. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Sorry if I'm late to the game but I had to laugh when I saw the thread heading. 12 hr without power is SHTF????? 12 hrs is a minor inconvenience. If anyone views it as SHTF then when the SHTF actually happens, just crawl into a hole and die because you won't survive an actual catastrophic event anyway.

VisuTrac, 3cyl, Seawolf1090 and 3 others like this.
  10. sarawolf

sarawolf Monkey+++

We have one of these and have had for 2 decades. Dh re-arranged the storage area and now I can't find it, lol. He knows it's somewhere, egads.
    [​IMG]

But it gave you a taste and that is helpful.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2019
    Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  11. Next time clean your bath tub, wipe with a diluted bleach solution towel, and fill with water. You then cover with a plastic sheet. practice your survival skills ie: starting a fire in your fireplace(only if you have 1), eat some ramen and sit back and wait for the power to come back on! Just don't wear your gillie suit in your apt's bushes!!! Congrats on your first 1!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7