I Think I'm Becoming A Chili Head

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by TXKajun, Jul 14, 2014.

1. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

For the last 3 years + I've been babying along 2 ghost pepper plants. I finally got some production this year, but now I have an aphid infestation on the plants. Drat! Treating and washing them, but those aphids are stubborn!

Anywho, I've had semi-good luck with the ghost peppers and really love the flavor and heat, so I decided to go ahead and act on a thought I've had running around in my head for a couple of years. This weekend, I ordered some hot pepper seeds. REALLY HOT peppers seeds. Some Carolina Reapers; Naga Vipers; Red, Yellow and Chocolate Ghost; Trinidad Scorpion; Fatali; Red and Yellow 7 Pot Brain Strain; and Red and Yellow Moruga Scorpion pepper seeds. I took a good look at my indoor growing set-up and what I actually used from it. Tomatoes, basil, cilantro, parsley and peppers. LOTS of peppers! LOL I replanted some seeds this weekend for cayenne and Hungarian wax peppers as well as 4 varieties of heirloom tomatoes. The tomatoes may or may not work since they're indeterminate heirloom and will bush out a bunch. I don't know if I've got enough room inside for them and it's way too late to transplant outside. Oh well, we'll see. After all, fluorescent lights are cheap! LOLOL

I've been fascinated for quite a while with the uber-hot peppers. So, we'll see what happens. Oh yeah, I also ordered a heat mat and thermostat so I can germinate these guys at 85 degrees as recommended. [​IMG]

Kajun

Hammerhead likes this.
  2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Had an old Cajun down here would mix up some hot sauce and a touch of dish washing soap in his sprayer and then spray his plants with the solution, I'm told he had a beautiful garden every year and no bugs ?

natshare and Brokor like this.
  3. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

This may be just what I need to get rid of my aphid infestation on my old ghost chili plants!

Kajun

4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

That might work on northern bugs, but hot sauce? I'd expect southern bugs to come back for seconds....

natshare and Sapper John like this.
  5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Get a box of lady bugs and kiss your aphids good-bye.

natshare, oldawg and kellory like this.
  6. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

I had the same thought as ghrit (scary, huh? LOL), but then saw where you said it was in indoors growing area. Not sure how well you'd be set up for a ladybug infestation? ;)

You can buy them, though, and supposedly they will take out the aphids. I'm thinking I'd want to be sure to keep them contained to that area, though. Maybe install some sort of screened entry?

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7