If you could only have one sidearm for survival purposes....

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by E.L., Aug 1, 2005.

1. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well, I currently only have one, so it would be a 4 inch barreled Rossi .357. I think even if I had others this would have to be around the top pick, since I have a fair bit of ammo for it and it fires 2 different common rounds (.38 special and .357), a light .38 load may take small game without splattering it across the field and a hot .357 round will stop most anything. I also tend to prefer a wheel gun amyhow.

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I like it mm...KISS

3. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Wheel guns are great stuff.... got a Colt Python that I love and a Winchester levergun chambered in .357.... that old advice.... two guns same caliber....

4. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

For the most part I tend to think of it just the opposite of the 1 ammo idea for SHTF. I figure if your weapons all take one cal then you are screwed if you cant get THAT ammo but if you have say 4 different guns in 4 different common caliburs your odds of being able to get ammo to feed something increase greatly. I can see a benifit to both ideas, I just figure that haveing more options is a good thing, also allows for more of the 'right tool for the job'.

5. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I carry a Ruger SP101 in .357 with a CTC laser grip. That way, don't have to aim when I poke the barrel out the window!

6. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

[​IMG]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7