If you don't have a portable genset, best get it soon - while you can

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by DKR, Jul 19, 2023.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Zimmy, 3M-TA3, duane and 2 others like this.
  2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Got 2 and looking for a 3rd one preferable PTO driven

Zimmy, duane, Kamp Krap and 1 other person like this.
  3. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Damn! What the hell is this administration doing? Seriously, it's like they just don't give a damn even if they don't get reelected...which, I admit, scares me. And, why don't they do some small things that would have huge impact like ban plastic bags and go back to paper that is more environmental friendly? What about China, why is China STILL considered a developing nation so they get all kinds of breaks regarding pollution. These guys need to be committed to a looney-tune asylum...or prison.

I got one that is brand new, 8000 watts... Plus, a small one, brand new, 1600 watts.

Gator 45/70, duane, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I have 3. A 17.5kw, a 7kw and a 3.3kw diesel.
    The 17.5kw is a most too big to run, sucks down a catastrophic 3 quarts of fuel per hour even at no load.

5. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I've got a gasoline powered Briggs & Stratton and an Onan (salvaged from RV). I would also like a PTO generator to hook up to my diesel tractor...giving me a very durable mobile diesel generator when I want or need one without the cost of a stand-alone diesel generator. I'm also developing the means to produce my own fuels, both ethanol and biodiesel, and a small solar power set-up so that I don't need to run the generators ALL the time.

duane and Kamp Krap like this.
  6. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

Just saw this video as I was reading your comment, Bandit. It’s a 15-20 second clip about recycling.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. Out in the woods

Out in the woods off-grid in-the-forest beekeeper

IMHO gasoline-fueled generators are only the answer when you have your own source of petroleum and a refinery.

8. DKR

Many will work just fine on alcohol,
    which can be made from ag waste in bulk.

9. DKR

Gotta be elected to be re-elected.....

STGThndr, Bandit99, Idahoser and 3 others like this.
  10. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Just think of all the possibilities that our .gov is doing for us . Saving our planet with all this new electric and battery powered stuff . Going green . Plug off all them holes in the ground that they're pumping all that oil out of . As soon as we go all ,, 100% electric,,,, BAM ,,,,, China and Russia blasts us with a few EMPs ,, wait a week,, and we're dead in the water .
    Yea yea ,, I know,,, just another conspiracy theory.

11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Lets see those plastic to diesel how too videos.

duane, SB21, Kamp Krap and 1 other person like this.
  12. Kamp Krap

Kamp Krap Monkey++

Hell we will be dead in the water without the EMP.

13. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

My guess it has more to do with how much money they can siphon off then saving the environment. Hell, look at the amount of pollution China and India puts out compared to the USA.

Capt. Tyree, duane and DKR like this.
  14. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Unless hydrocracking is preformed and distillation, the stuff that the "plastic to diesel" process produces is not suitable for use in an engine.

15. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

I've been wondering if I could run my gen. off methane from a digester. (I really don't know) I like those old slow Listers or even a dirty Chinese diesel. Those ones with the water tank on top that can't be sold here now.
    I've also considered finding a car engine of some sort to run a motor, maybe an old slant six or a vw engine.

16. duane

duane Monkey+++

Looked into a 3 point hitch generator for my tractor. It is a 52 hp diesel and the engine rpm for the pto for genset is about 2400 rpm. I only want a max of about 10 kw and the tractor could handle that at idle with much less fuel use. That would mean my pto rpm would be 540 and my engine rpm would be around 2400 or full throttle. If I drop the engine to 800 rpm, change the belt ratio to get 3600 rpm to the genset, it would work out ok but the pto rpm would be 1/3 rd of 550 and if someone, any operator, put the engine rpm up to 2400 and powered the pto for the genset, due to the pulley ratios the genset would try to reach about 11,000 rpm and every thing would blow up. I thus dropped the idea of both fuel low fuel use and a smaller genset.

Tempstar and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

18. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I think most of those nowadays are 1800 rpm pto driven sets

SB21 likes this.
  19. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Although you might have saved fuel you'd likely end up wet-stacking if you go for extended periods idling...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

As Gator said, most (good) ones will be 1800 rpm. Now for the bad news. we ran a 15kw ST gen head off the PTO for a bit, then I scored a diesel reefer engine and used the ST head on that. Uses way less fuel than the tractor did. I suppose due to all of the gears that needed to turn to drive the transmission in the tractor and the 3:1 gear for the ST head.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7