If you Survive a Nuke but have 4 months Worth of Food, Should You Still Ration it so it lasts Longer

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ED GEiN, Aug 20, 2017.

1. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

In case I survive a nearby nuke in LA in my non-concrete residence and have a 4 months supply of food on hand, should I still ration it to maintain say a 6 months supply or longer?

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Either you have six months or you don't, you decide.

Seepalaces and Homer Simpson like this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Who is going to use a nuclear weapon on LA?

Seepalaces likes this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Hopefully some one we do not like.... So we can send them a return to sender, Present....

5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Mexico will be so pizzed of at them... they might send an entire bus load of La Raza brown shirts to kick their azzes....

Seepalaces, Legion489 and Tully Mars like this.
  6. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

So, if Spartacus had a Piper Cub...oh, wait.

Seepalaces likes this.
  7. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I'd really be planning to UA the AO after surviving the blast. What will you do if you live those four months, then run out of food? The horde probably gets you long before you starve.

Seepalaces likes this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

so long as you appear to be as bad off as they are , they won't know any better .

Seepalaces and Legion489 like this.
  9. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

First, you really should have 6 months worth...but that is another post for another time.
    I would say, yes. Yes, I would ration making but try to maintain the rations at a level that still keeps everyone strong. Why? Because the time proceeding after such an event will be the most critical and you'll need energy to make it. You probably won't make it anyway but you got enough cards against you so maintain energy levels. Why would I ration? Because you really don't know what is going to happen tomorrow or next week or next month, things make turn for a lot better or a lot worse but if you are dead from starvation or your too weak to resist disease or etc. - well - it won't matter.

john316, Seepalaces and Motomom34 like this.
  10. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

The human body is no different than an internal combustion engine. Try starting a motor, then use an eye dropper to ration feed it some gasoline. Won't stay running now will it? The human body is no different. You simply cannot restrict your water and food intake, yet demand that your body operates under normal to extreme working conditions with out starving. NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

11. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

EXACTLY.
    After such an event a person is very likely to be using MORE calories not less than they normally would. You need to stock more food Ed.

Seepalaces, sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  12. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

Why not just stock six months worth of food in the first place. Then you won't have to ration anything.

Seepalaces and Ura-Ki like this.
  13. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

You would ration. If you were housebound for three months no sense in sitting around eating because you would not be burning as many calories. One does not know how long a crisis will last so plan for the worst by eating modest meals. Even if you had six months of food, would you not ration anyways?

john316, Seepalaces, Zimmy and 2 others like this.
  14. duane

duane Monkey+++

If you go the LDS way with carbs, wheat, rice, beans, oil, you can store many months worth for less than the cost of one black rifle. Once you have water, medical, shelter and firearms at some desired level, double up on long term "basic" food. It isn't fancy, gets tiresome to eat quickly, etc, but it will keep you alive and has been tested under real life conditions and works.

15. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

The very best way to ration your food and water is inside your body, Especially water!

16. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Thank You Very good point

Another good point I did not consider Thanks

Just used this amount for a hypothetical example cause I heard you can leave your home after 3 months if you survive a nuke, I think I have about 6 months of food in all actuality though not more than a months water on hand though I do have a waterbob for another 3 months of water provided the water is operational when I load it up.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2017
    Seepalaces and Motomom34 like this.
  17. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I'm not sure you can know with any certainty when an "event" will end. You might start rationing from day one to make your limited supply last as long as possible. Don't eat well for four months and starve to death in the fifth. It's really that simple.

Seepalaces and sec_monkey like this.
  18. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The first step towards surviving the aftermath of a nuclear event is to relocate to someplace that isn't likely to take a direct hit prior to hostilities.

LA along with the rest of California ain't looking very rosy;
    upload_2017-8-20_20-17-47.
    US Nuclear Target Map | Self-Sufficiency

Seepalaces, Tully Mars and Ura-Ki like this.
  19. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

If extending the existing food supply further at a lower daily ration were feasible, whether or not you should do this, is a matter for your decision making, in the light of the circumstances that apply at the time that the decision needs to be made...others may have their own ideas...but their kibitzing from the comfort of their well stocked larders, is probably irrelevant. Speaking for myself, I don't think relying on other people's opinions is all that useful, when the only opinion that actually counts is my own, in the time and place that it I need to implement it.

Without rationing, a four month supply of food (at a specific daily calorific intake) may only last one month, if consumed profligately, and without any kind of discipline...conversely a four month supply of food, may be eked out to five or six months, and yet a person may possibly still survive, albeit with some body mass loss, and some risk to health and physical functioning.

Rationing needn't be an all or none proposition....it may make sense to allow a full ration at the beginning of an emergency when more energy is likely to be spent, or when ill(when fighting off infection), and consume only a lesser ration at times when one is sedentary, and not using as much energy.

If I had only 4 months of rations, I'd probably ration myself to
    Full rations month1
    3/4 rations month2
    half rations month 3 and 4
    That would give me a further 10 weeks at a 1/2 ration regimen, approximately before my rations were utterly exhausted....

Though if one merely waits until utter food supply exhaustion happens, before doing anything about staving off that outcome, one possibly deserves to starve to death.

You may have to brush up on your "Weed Loaf" baking skills....

I wouldn't recommend using cannabis 'weed' as the weed ingredient...it's inclined to stimulate the munchies. ;)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    Seepalaces, Tully Mars and Ura-Ki like this.
  20. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

To properly ration food ( not water) you need to know exactly what your body actually requires daily vs what makes you feel full, and you also need to know exactly what the food stores you have will provide toward your bodies daily need! Then using that info, you ration your food to the minimum daily requirement ether three meals or two, and you can stretch your stores quite a bit longer then you think!! Water should not be rationed ( except in rare instances) it should be consumed as needed, you are not going to last long rationing water, and your body is the best place to store it, and keep it supplied, Water is Life! Water is also the most difficult of your preps to deal with if you have to be mobile, so you HAVE to have a means to obtain it DAILY!

1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. RJFab
  8. duane
  9. TnAndy
  10. john316
  11. DKR
  12. DKR
  13. apache235
  14. Ganado
  15. alaskachick
  16. Motomom34
  17. Bandit99
  18. Asia-Off-Grid