If you Survive a Nuke but have 4 months Worth of Food, Should You Still Ration it so it lasts Longer

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ED GEiN, Aug 20, 2017.

1. guidoLaMoto-

guidoLaMoto- Monkey

??? Why six months? Is there a rule that all SHTF situations will be resolved in six months? In any SHTF situation, regardless of cause, the time may come when your reserves, regardless how large, may become exhausted. To ensure long term survival, one must be able to produce food by growing it, raising it, hunting or gathering it, stealing it, buying or bartering for it...and be able to defend that supply.

edit: sorry. I should have quoted the OP.

Seepalaces and Tevin like this.
  2. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

The six months is just a convenient rule of thumb....as the OP is an apartment dweller, and is looking for solutions that might work for the modest sized apartment dwelled in. There is a physical limit as to how much can be stored....also...there are probably some practical limits as to what produce, and livestock can be realistically grown in a single bedder studio apartment. I would recommend a pygmy goat rather than a Jersey cow for instance.

[​IMG]
    https://theselfsufficientliving.com/15-famous-breeds-of-dairy-meat-and-other-types-of-goats/

Alternatively, Nigerian Dwarves are also worth considering, they are somewhat difficult to milk apparently....but probably perfect for Trump Tower....small hands are perfect for milking small udders. ;)

[​IMG]

ED GEiN likes this.
  3. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

What livestock can I store in a 2 bedroom?

Seepalaces likes this.
  4. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

4 -6 goats, 40 rabbits, as many or more quail.

VisuTrac, ED GEiN and chelloveck like this.
  5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Depends on your lease. You might be limited to hamsters or fish.

ED GEiN and Seepalaces like this.
  6. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

You will have to put down a post-Armageddon pet deposit....before you take in any livestock. ;)

7. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Vietnamese Potbelly Pigs are pets in LA. Pork on the hoof!

Seepalaces, Ura-Ki, Yard Dart and 2 others like this.
  8. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Issues that I see are as follows...

Regarding rationing... Why would you consider rationing?
    • Are you trying to wait out a particular time frame due to radiation?
    • do you expect assistance to arrive within six months?
    • do you believe that the government (Feds or State) will be able to assist you in that time frame?
    • Do you believe that most of the rest of the population would be more willing to work together after six months?

If any of these are your reason for waiting and rationing my recommendation would be not to ration...
    • if you survived the initial nuke you would still have to consider the radiation you would be exposed to. the body will need more calories to move from the area... in a radiological event distance = life....
    • if it is an isolated attack and radiation is not a factor this becomes a Maybe... I would be concerned about raiders taking what you have.... better to store it in your belly....
    • In the event that it is a wide spread event or only a LA event look at the response o Katrina and multiply the chaos and time by a factor of 10 ( Greater LA has about 10 times the population that would be effected that New Orleans...)
    • After six months those left in LA would be hunters and raiders with a few isolated enclaves ( think Mormons)I would have left before six months while the getting was good and stored food in my belly or transported it out or possibly used it to support friends to get everyone out as I probably couldn't protect the food on the road by my self....

Motomom34, Seepalaces, Ura-Ki and 3 others like this.
  9. guidoLaMoto-

guidoLaMoto- Monkey

It will be impossible to leave LA when TSHTF. Maybe it's better to leave now to beat the rush.

Seepalaces and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. Witch Doctor 01

That would be my thought.... However that's outside the parameters of the first post...

11. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

My new revised plans thanks to what I read here in reply, assuming the radiation will go away within 2-4 months and help will be on its way as the rest of the US isn't all nuked, just eat a normal amount of food so I have my strength which is the main thing I learned, barricade my apartment and have some weapons including firearms at hand. I'm assuming because of the radiation there won't be many raiders going outside to invade peoples homes.

12. chelloveck

That's a dangerous assumption. Much depends upon the yield and location of nuke hits relative to your location, and relative to the locations that might generate refugees that may potentially find their way to your location. Other factors would include prevailing weather conditions that might transport fallout; accessible routes for refugee and looter drift; Degree of public order (Law enforcement and recovery and reconstruction resources; among a number of other factors. If you have managed to survive in your apartment, it is as likely that others will have also. Then again...there's always the chance of a James Coburn like self appointed leader....

arleigh and Tully Mars like this.
  13. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Of course !!!!!!!!!!!, since You can't read time line DUH

14. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

That's a lot of potentially dangerous assumptions. o_O

chelloveck, Tully Mars and ghrit like this.
  15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

There is simply no way to guide the OP into safe waters. His scenarios are entirely too broad to elicit good guidance. Were I to rise to that bait, I'd simply assume that someone else would come along at the end of month one and take his supplies. That would force him to ration the remaining box of saltines that were stored separately from the main stash for the remaining two months.

16. chelloveck

A fate worse than Saltine food fatigue I could not imagine....I would suspect that a quick death would come as a humane release from that misery....:( An inadequate store of potable water is probably going to compound the misery...:(:(

Tully Mars likes this.
  17. Imasham

Imasham Monkey

Isolated is right! Despite the instructions church leaders have given for a century, most LDS members are NOT super prepared. The church provides guidance, support and even sells basic foodstuffs but still most members are not stocked up. There definitely are enclaves, as you say, where the percentage is higher (my town being one of them) but if your plan is to depend on your Mormon friends...you'd better determine how faithful a member of the church they are first!!

The most recent leader of the congregation (whose title is bishop) I belong to was one of those who simply didn't believe in being prepared. He certainly didn't actively dissuade people but in more intimate settings he would mention how he just didn't think the issue was that important.

chelloveck likes this.
  18. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

"You can lead a Horse to Water, but you can't make him Drink....." HOWEVER, When he gets thirsty enough, He will Drink.... If there is any water, LEFT...... The Parable of the Ten Virgins, comes to mind.....

Tully Mars likes this.
  19. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

There are times I must confess, that in some cases attempting to warn some one that may or may not have nefarious plans ,might not be a good idea. But knowing good people can turn potentially bad in a disaster, it's a hard call to make.
    Usually good people assume the better of others, while the deviant count on that assumption of them .
    There are people in this world that have come from very desperate situations, and not only have the experience, but the will to do things normally civil people would never think of.
    If I see some one that needs help, and I have the means/instruction to do so, it is best to act as a third party simply fallowing direction ,like a delivery boy, not the beneficiary .
    Some times i've helped some one, that know I was the source the gift, and it became an anchor .
    Where as if I hand something to some one in need, and state that it is something I was given to give them , I am not the source to be hounded for more, further more I am at liberty to end the contact. being just a delivery boy. It's not up to me to judge what or who they are, but the one giving me the directive.
    Preparedness is a very broad range of responsibility, both to those dependent on you and those demanding your assistance. The strength to say no to those you care for, and the ability to say no, to those not your responsibility, and the respect for the position your being thrust in.

chelloveck likes this.
  20. Witch Doctor 01

I wasn't advocating relying on them I was inferring that many of the Mormons I know prep in more ways than food and respond as a community to any threat against them.... Therefore they would represent the isolated enclaves that were not easily taken over by raiders....

BTPost and chelloveck like this.
  1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. RJFab
  8. duane
  9. TnAndy
  10. john316
  11. DKR
  12. DKR
  13. apache235
  14. Ganado
  15. alaskachick
  16. Motomom34
  17. Bandit99
  18. Asia-Off-Grid