If you won the lottery...............

Discussion in 'Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions' started by Motomom34, Jan 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

The nation is buzzing because we have a historic jackpot, 1.4 billion when I last checked. I have heard many conversations and read many posts on what people would do if they won. I am noticing that once a prepper/survivlist/homesteader, you always seem to be one. I see preppers talking of building greenhouses, having live stock and building BOL's. How many billionaires are concerned with building a root cellar? It seems prepping gets in your blood and that is who you become.

There also seems to be a division is political parties. Every person has said they were going to give large chunks of the money away. Oddly the liberals all seem to use the word philanthropist, with no real charities or plans in how they would use the money to better others. The conservatives have really interesting plans of what they would do to help make the world a better place.

One person (liberal) that I spoke to yesterday was talking of buying a tropical island and becoming a philanthropist, when asked what specifically he would do there were no real ideas. All he said is I would give half away. My idea was specific.

If I won the lottery-

I would find my homestead that I dream of. I would have fruit trees/bushes. It would be a large parcel with room for livestock, greenhouse and chickens. I would hire @melbo to build a chicken coop because after reading this thread- My solution for indoor/outdoor pets in a flu Pandemic | Survival Monkey Forums he could build something that no wild critter could get into. I would pay off loved ones medical bills and homes. But never once did it enter my mind to buy a fancy car or build a pool. But if I won, my place would have a pond and a solar set up. I would take accelerated first aid classes, some herbal courses and wilderness/skill classes. Hard to take some of these classes when you work full time.

For my conservative "helping others" idea. I would look into buy old hotels and converting them into shelters/resource centers for the poor- but mainly women places. Not only would it offer temp shelter for single moms but it would have areas where they learned skills, interview techniques and budgeting. I really feel the generation that we have now are sorely lacking in this knowledge. So yes, I would donate large chunks of money to teaching people life skills and getting them set on the right path.

So I ask all monkeys, what would you do if you won the lottery? Would it change you or get you closer to your prepping goals? Or would you blow it and live like a rock star?

Zimmy, MarleneK, Tackleberry and 7 others like this.
  2. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

I like your ideas, @Motomom34. Very well thought out.

I would like to open a veterans retreat for life. FACILITIES for everything they needed to enjoy and have the happiest life for them and their families.
    Privates schools, large play ground for the kiddies.

3. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

A later model pickup.............oh yeah, and that help the family and DESERVING less fortunate thing.............and maybe a newer '06.

4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

If I won I could hire and import @BTPost and @ghrit to set up the ultimate comms system and educate..... all I needed to know on comms.

5. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Hookers and Blow!!! [ROFL]

Ohhh.... and I would buy one of them old Minuteman/Nike sites and create a Monkey survival retreat. ;)

For my community outreach.... I would probably keep it within my churches outreach programs and mission. I would take our storehouse and double it's size and scope. I would also fund the kids camp construction on our 90 acre property we bought years ago.

6. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I'd start a mobile pet clinic and a medical/dental free clinic. Specific charities would be the local ones, the food bank and animal rescue/shelter groups. And Heifer International. I'd build my dream house, a stone cottage, totally off the grid, with a really nice greenhouse and root cellar(btw, @Yard Dart, on Facebook when someone posted that guy's answer about the money, I replied with what I'd do, and someone asked me where I would put the hookers and blow, and I replied that's what the root cellar is for :p). We'd do the travelling we've always wanted to do. I want to do a culinary tour of the world. Chinese food in Ireland, Italian food in Japan, Mexican food in Australia/New Zealand. Mom wants to do some luxury train tours she got DVDs on. We'd take turns travelling though, so someone would always be here to take care of the animals and supervise the construction. Don't want the builders thinking they can do a crappy job and rip us off because we're rich women and therefore wouldn't know anything about construction.

Zimmy, Pax Mentis, Tully Mars and 3 others like this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If I won that Lottery, First thing, would be to Pay my LDS Tithing, on the Income..... There goes 10%, right off the Top.... then I would Build my Dream reTIREDment Cabin, on the Mountain Lot... That would take up a whole$250KUS...
    I would give each Kid, a Cool Million Tax Free... there goes another $3MUS.... Then a Cool Million to each GrandKid, in a Trust, that they couldn't touch, till they were 25 years Old, but could spend the Interest off the Invested Trust, on Schooling and such. There goes another $9MUS...
    After that, I would hire @Motomom34, as a "Consultant" for a Year, and her only JOB, would be to get schooled in Comms... There Goes another $500KUS.... After that, Well.... I would hire @Brokor as my Personal Representative, to deal with all the Whackos, Politicos, and Neir'dewells, that would be trying to get me to give their Agenda/Cause some of my MONEY.... with instructions that he could only give out @100KUS at a time, and I would have final Approval of ANY Expenditure. His salary would be a Cool Million a year. I would fund @Falcon15 in his Broadcasting Efforts, to the tune of a couple of Million... Oh and I would buy @ghrit, @RightHand, @melbo, A 100% ALL Inclusive Medical Insurance Policy, and the fanciest Monkey Funeral, possible... so they wouldn't have to worry about their Old Age... Now for my Old Friend @Yard Dart there would be a check, for a cool MegaBuck, when he finally goes and gets a Ham License.... The rest goes in a Pot, 50% for Brokor to blow, and the rest in a Trust for my GrandChildren's Children.... Splitting the Interest, only and never touching the principal.....

oldawg, Zimmy, Gator 45/70 and 6 others like this.
  8. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

After buying and outfitting my dream property I'd fund MonkeyFest (assuming I didn't split the winnings with a million others) and fly us all to a suitable location where we can share ideas face to face and get hands on training from the more notable simians in their field of expertise. Oh, yeah, finally get my pickup truck.

Zimmy, Gator 45/70, techsar and 4 others like this.
  9. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I would continue to dream.

10. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I would help out family with medical bills. I would donate to existing scholarship i started and also make some new ones for various colleges i support. I would give money to my church and the kids catholic shool that they attend.

We would buy land and build our perfect BOL. Friends will always be welcome.

11. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

I'd take my cue from R. A. Heinlein and set up part of the money as a watchdog to guard the rest, in part to conserve it and also to avoid winding up like Slim Pickins and Howard Hughes.

Money is like alcohol--a little can be fun, but too much is a deadly poison.

My charities would be anonymous and of the pay-it-forward type. They would "teach the hungry to fish" rather than "give fish to the hungry".

Like Motomom, I'd help veterans and single moms. I'd set up Tiny House Communities for the homeless that wanted homes, and scholorships for those that wanted to learn. And I'd make jobs available to those that wanted to work.

I would seed America with teachers of forgotten skills and values like an educational Johnny Appleseed, and set up research labs to handle some unfinished business.

And I'd hire Batman to handle some problems that really need handling, along with a battalion of carefully chosen lawyers.

Everything else I'd do with the money falls under the category of weird stuff.

Zimmy, Pax Mentis, Tully Mars and 5 others like this.
  12. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Thanks BT but I'll take the cash LOL

Zimmy, ghrit, Yard Dart and 3 others like this.
  13. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

"I wanna be great like Elvis without the tassels
    Hire eight body guards that love to beat up assholes
    Sign a couple autographs
    So I can eat my meals for free
    I'll have a quesadilla.."

It goes without saying that I would take care of the family. Set up trust funds for the children, grandchildren, send my Mum and her sisters on a trip to see Ireland, stuff like that.
    I would buy up a lot of the surrounding property to increase our buffer zone and pretty much do all the projects that we have on the list. "I" wouldn't claim the winning ticket, but a corp that I was a member of would. My stock of NFA weapons would increase drastically.

As far as charities go, I would be generous to the ones I believe in, and like @Yard Dart and @BTPost some of the local churches would be a big part of that.
    I would purchase a shop and yard large enough to allow me to indulge in something I've always dreamed of- Restoring armor and certain aircraft of WWII.

Since Sass is pretty handy with a scalpel and I don't want my nose falling off snortin coke off a hooker's @ss is pretty well out of the question so I guess I'd just keep ranching until I spent the rest..

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Those old ladies probably need a chaperon, best send me with them.
    Well hmm.... LOL! We will all let our imagination work OT on that one.

Zimmy and Tully Mars like this.
  15. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

If I sent you with them who would be the chaperon?
    Oh all right, if I win you can go...

Zimmy and Motomom34 like this.
  16. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Okay, what would I do if I won the lottery???? Arrange for a monthly $1,000 stipend for my daughter to help her over the rough spots. Then, I'd buy a half dozen new CNC machines for the shop. After that, I have no idea what I would do with that kind of money. I live simply by choice and have what is sufficient to my needs. Happiness comes from places that have nothing to do with finances.

chelloveck, ghrit, Motomom34 and 3 others like this.
  17. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Pay off debt, take care of family, secure my and their future, and help my local community.

Zimmy, chimo and Motomom34 like this.
  18. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Zimmy, Motomom34 and BTPost like this.
  19. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I'd have to buy a ticket first.

3cyl, chelloveck, Yard Dart and 3 others like this.
  20. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

I guess I might break down and open a bank account for a while. I despise banks....

There are a couple of vacant properties adjacent to me. But I plan on acquiring those in a month or so anyhow...right after paying off the house, lottery or no.

The main change would be early retirement.

Zimmy and Motomom34 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7