My solution for indoor/outdoor pets in a flu Pandemic

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by melbo, Mar 1, 2006.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

We have cats.

Well, my wife does. So I guess I do to.
    They have doors that they can run in and out to their little hearts content. They need no litter boxes... Kindof like barn cats with my house as the barn.

I got to thinking that they bring in all sorts of live and dead critters. Birds, snakes, bats, squirrels, chipmonks, crayfish, monkeys, etc...

Not cool if critters may have a bug and my house is locked down and hunkered down for H5N1... So we built them a run this week. They can go in and out and have little contact with outdoor wildlife.

Plus we were waiting on Block masons to finish up another job.

Pics below:
    dsc00575_142. dsc00577_210. dsc00579_333. dsc00581_645. dsc00582_205. dsc00584_617. dsc00585_112.

2. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Very Cool

3. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Now thats a hell of a kitty cat play ground. [LMAO] One thing to keep in mind though, you will have to trim back the wire a bit each year or so and maybe move the boards back a bit around that tree in the middle of it or you will get to hire some one like me to come remove it when it dies, and I can tell you if I came out to bid removeing THAT tree from THERE the price would have to include not only an arm and leg but also first born and left nut for a start. [beer]

4. Lone Tundra Wolf

Lone Tundra Wolf Monkey+++

WoW.....Melbo....Can't wait to see what you do next. [bestpost]

5. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Wow! That is over the top! Very impressive. I think you need to build me a playhouse in my backyard. [bow] [applaud]

6. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Looks like you got the jump on the French again... [bow] [raspberry] :lol: [LMAO] [winkthumb] [touchdown]

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/printerfriendlynews.php?newsid=38657

"French Cat Owners Starting To Abandon Their Pets
    01 Mar 2006

The Animal Protection Society in France is concerned that some pet owners are starting to abandon their cats in fear of catching bird flu from them. This is after a bird flu infected dead cat was found in an island off northern Germany. The German cat was infected with the lethal H5N1 bird flu virus strain.

The Animal Protection Society (France) is being inundated with calls from cat owners, wondering what to do with their pets. A spokesman for the society said the panic has started.

In France, bird flu was found in a Turkey farm near Lyon.

Cat owners worry more than dog owners because you can keep a dog on a lead (leash) when you go out - therefore, you have more control on what it touches or eats when outside. Cats, on the other hand, are enthusiastic bird hunters and eaters, that roam their neighbourhoods on their own.

Written by: Christian Nordqvist
    Editor: Medical News Today "

7. melbo

We used just 2 screws to fasten that to the tree... I allowed for growth and in a few yrs can reposition it. I'll check on the clearance as well. thanks

8. melbo

Here's the Dogs House:
    dsc00597_107. dsc00598_116. dsc00599_967.

9. Lone Tundra Wolf

Lone Tundra Wolf Monkey+++

Let me guess the dog has AC to in the house.....wife er dog did not have it that good.....grin.

10. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

I hope my dogs never see that !!!!!!! [LMAO]

They've got dogloo's and airline kennels...... [winkthumb]

11. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

You hope your dogs never see that?

Heck...

I'm moving in the dog house! b::

12. melbo

ahh, never know when I have to spend the night there... [boozingbuddies]

13. E.L.

After showing this to my girls they think you are some kind of super hero.

14. melbo

Ha! Ask my wife.. "I neeeevver do anything around the house"

15. E.L.

I don't even have a cat but I have "cathouse envy."

16. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I can't believe I'm passing on that one E.L... :)

But, I do have a cat.....now.

and I love that!

17. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

:eek:

18. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

:D

19. ChemicalGal

ChemicalGal Monkey+++

That's not around the house, that's outside the house [raspberry]

Boy fantastic thinking, will you rent that doghouse out b::

20. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Yeah, just figured should mention it as have had to remove trees more than one that folks built decks around and as the tree grew it cut through the cambien layer and strangled the tree and those cost them dearly to have removed since every stick has to be lowered out on a rope and with the wire and such it would either have to be done by crane, bucket truck or zip line and if the trucks cant reach it then its just zip line and that get REAL pricey since its a masive PITA. [beer]
    Oh and you got me in trouble cause Tina saw the kitty run and dosnt agree that it would be far better used by us to slap some sideing on and call a house than to use for a kitty run. Shes also offered to come and be one of the pets. lol

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7