IMHO the 2 most important things in your bug-out bag

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by marlas1too, Oct 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

the 2 most important is a lighter or something to light a fire and a can opener ---I'm pretty sure every one carry s a knife in some form but a can opener and a fire starter is at the top of my list of things----what is at the top of your list

Ura-Ki, Seepalaces and Oltymer like this.
  2. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Water and a weapon.

Seepalaces and Brokor like this.
  3. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

I meant in your bag as I will be carrying a weapon and have a knife on my belt

Ura-Ki and Seepalaces like this.
  4. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

A cigar and my flask......
    Well it might not be at the top of the list...but it could be close. :)

5. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

I smoke a pipe, so always have a lighter in my pocket, I also keep a GI P-38 can opener on my key-ring and also have one on my woods necklace I wear when out in the bush. A lot of WWII era GI's wore a P-38 on their dog tag chain. Opening a can with a knife is not only messy, but can lead to some serious injuries, and we all know the value of being able to light a fire quickly if necessary and in that scenario a pocket lighter is hard to beat.

Ura-Ki, Ganado and Seepalaces like this.
  6. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Weapon and knife, if I had to pick 2.
    Personal top picks are weapon, knife, fire, water, shelter.

Seepalaces likes this.
  7. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

It would be fair to say that I think the most important part of my bug out bag is my filtered water bottle and knife. The odd thing I'm glad for in the bag (which we try to use hiking once a year) are these Oral B brush up things (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000296Z0I/?tag=survivalmonke-20). I keep my bag in the car and often find myself rummaging for them. It's good to have them at hand when I'm running around away from home.

Sgt Nambu and Ura-Ki like this.
  8. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Here is what I carry around in Bug out bag and in the truck. Some of the prior military here might remember the old P38 can opener, small, light, and did the job. It was developed in WW2 for the G.I.s. Well, they now make a slightly larger version called the P51, same design. I put about 5 of them in a old pill bottle in the bag. Cheap and do the job. I still carry my swiss knife and leatherman which both have can openers on them.

@Seepalaces Great catch on the 'Teeth Wipes'!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CWGK8G/?tag=survivalmonke-20

9. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I like the P51.

10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

A 5th if good scotch. ... if it's yhe end if the world as we know it I figure I might as well enjoy it:p

Ura-Ki, Seepalaces and Bandit99 like this.
  11. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Throw in a keg of Guinness, and we can be friends!

12. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

YES! How in the world did I overlook it! :) LOL! I remember reading @Yard Dart "a cigar and flask" and I thought, "Geez, that ain't enough..." LOL! The problem is this item is tough to keep in stock, seems it is always disappearing...need to practice that old golden rule of 'use one buy two." :D

Ura-Ki, Seepalaces and Yard Dart like this.
  13. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

In that case, water and more ammo.

14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

My Swiss Army knife is top two. For some reason my rope keeps popping in my mind. But I also like my contractor bags. They are real handy.

15. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Water filter & bug spray, since we aren't counting what's on the belt ;)

16. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Spoon and Stainless steel bowl.

17. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Plumbers candles, and a Swiss alpine light, and a good Mag fire starter are top of my list! With those I can make fire any where even in a blizzard with soaking wet wood!!! Once I have fire, purified/filtered water, and shelter are my priorities! From there a few pounds of Venison Jerky, and my pipe and tobacco, and my FAL, are all I really need to not only servive, but thrive!

Motomom34 likes this.
  1. Tully Mars
  2. Motomom34
  3. GOG
  4. DarkLight
  5. Yard Dart
  6. Imasham
  7. ED GEiN
  8. Motomom34
  9. Yard Dart
  10. ED GEiN
  11. GhostX