Important Safety Tip

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Hanzo, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425534119.102514.

GrayGhost, 3M-TA3, Motomom34 and 6 others like this.
  2. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

:lol: Hanzo ;)

Hanzo likes this.
  3. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

My boss is an ass. Oh wait, I'm the boss...

Yard Dart and sec_monkey like this.
  4. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

Your boss should give you a raise then :D ;) [winkthumb]

Yard Dart, Tully Mars and Hanzo like this.
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Any time he can!!

sec_monkey likes this.
  6. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Can't complain. Every day is a holiday, even though every day is a work day. It works itself out.

Tully Mars and sec_monkey like this.
  7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

So you work every Holliday? That sucks, man. You should kick your boss's butt.[nono]

Hanzo and Tully Mars like this.
  8. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Truth be told, I hardly work at all. So can't really complain. My main work days are WF.

9. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Old ranch owner John farmed a small ranch in Montana. The Montana Wage and Hour Department claimed he was not paying proper wages to his workers and sent an agent out to interview him.

'I need a list of your employees and how much you pay them,' demanded the agent.

'Well,' replied old John, 'There's my ranch hand who's been with me for 3 years. I pay him $600 a week plus free room and board. The cook has been here for 18 months, and I pay her $500 a week plus free room and board. Then there's the half-wit who works about 18 hours every day and does about 90% of all the work around here. He makes about $10 per week, pays his own room and board and I buy him a bottle of bourbon every Saturday night.'

'That's the guy I want to talk to, the half-wit,' says the agent.

'That would be me,' replied old rancher John.

3M-TA3, Sapper John, vonslob and 5 others like this.
  10. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I sometimes resemble that.

11. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I always resemble that. All work no pay makes Jane a dull girl

sec_monkey and Hanzo like this.
  12. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Make your way down here, @RightHand. You, @Bear and I can go play!

13. RightHand

that would be quite a good time. Gator 45/70 is going to make me some crawfish efouffee when I get back to New Orleans and Ghrit has room for me to bunk in when I pass through his neck of the woods on the way down. to get to you two I would need to pass thru PNW and I know I have some good friends there. then up to Alaska to drop in on BT and AlaskaChick. I could probably take a 6 month sabbatical just to visit my SM friends.

BTPost, kellory, ghrit and 2 others like this.
  14. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

My fathers right hand person has been with him for over thirty years, nobody messes with her. She does not have a degree, learned bookkeeping on her own and has been a great friend to the family. I have seen her smoke accountants that tell her what to do. "Don't you tell me my job I invented the damm job" She answers to my dad and him only, and she has his ear whenever she wants it.

kellory, Hanzo and sec_monkey like this.
  15. RightHand

I have two good assistants now which helps but I can't escape the 18 - 20 hr days. some things can't be delegated

Sapper John, Hanzo and sec_monkey like this.
  16. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

But surprising how many things can. It takes letting go. When I first started my business 25 years ago, I worked 6 days a week from 8am to 10pm. Busted my tail and had no life, had no balance.

My second year, I decided I would "live" like that. Went through a bunch of assistants until I found two I could trust and who did what I needed done and took care of my clients like I would. That year, I cut my hours to about 20 hours a week and doubled my income.

Good assistants need good taking care of though. And they take good care of you. Once (I was single at the time), they both showed up at my house on a weekend that I wasn't working. They came to clean my house for me. Wow! Blew me away. I just ordered in food and we hung out. I wasn't going to have them clean for me.

Later, my full time assistant came to me for advise. She broke up with her boyfriend and their roommate moved out. So instead of splitting the rent three ways, it was just her. She asked if she should take a second job to make ends meet. Instead, we figured out what she needed and I ended up giving her a forty something percent raise so she wouldn't have to get a second job.

She cried for a while and we are friends for life.

But I had a hard time letting go of doing everything. Liberating once I did.

17. RightHand

We have grown so much over the past few years that its a constant pattern of training to retain and rewarding excellence. We've acquired two additional businesses in different industries, expanded out space to around 30K sq ft, increased our employees to an average of 48 with another dozen or so temps. We also started a new business completely separate from our main company. The decision making demands are high and that's where I come in - analysis - decision - implementation. My method of dealing with my employees is to require they bring me all the facts I need to make a decision. that eliminates a good deal of the research - once you have confidence that the employee will complete due diligence to meet your expectation and requirement

BTPost, Yard Dart, kellory and 4 others like this.
  18. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

You are quite the entrepreneur, @RightHand!! I do hope we get to meet some time. I hope your business acumen will rub off on me.

19. RightHand

Not my first dance at a party. I've owned several businesses through the years. I started my first one when I was only 18 doing storewide inventories for grocery chains. I had employees and we would do a complete store in a sunday. My second business was a day care center I opened with a partner. We did that for about 5 years before sold the building and both went off in other directions. My next business was a engineering and machining company. I had two partner there and we did a lot of prototype tooling. We closed in the mid-1980's ibe step ahead of bankruptcy. then I worked in the bulk weighing industry for the next 20 where I was VP of Finance and International Sales. I left that to care for my parents in their final years of life but needing a little mental stimulation, took on a few business clients as a consultant but by the end of 2 yrs I was back to 70-80 hrs a week. That led me back to manufacturing. Voila! a career in one paragraph. Its not my business acumen but my drive, for better or for worse, that has opened the paths I have taken.

Yard Dart, kellory, Hanzo and 2 others like this.
  20. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I believe hard work is the key to success above all else, except maybe luck, and you have proven that true.

I only mention luck and am not referring to you. There is one guy I know, he is a total @$$ and totally untrustworthy. But he lucked into his success.

Another guy I know is a really nice guy. But right place right time and he ended up in a dot com that turned into something huge. He got in at the ground floor in middle to upper management and scored s boatload of options. That dot com got bought out by an even bigger dot com and he ended up with a load of options. The first company's options already made him a multimillionaire and the second company's were the gravy on top.

Most times, that kind of luck is not in play. That's where the hard work comes in. I remember a survey a little while back. They interviewed a cross section of the community and asked what is the secret to success. Invariably, they said a good education. Don't get me started on that with common core and all. Then they interviewed people that actually succeeded, the billionaires and multimillionaires and such. Their answer was invariably hard work.

Kudos to you.

ghrit and Yard Dart like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7