important thing you have not gotten done?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by CANDY fISHER, Feb 8, 2011.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Depending on just how your windows are designed, an easy way is to build a window replacement, out of plywood, with a sheet metal Thimble and Stove Pipe section in the middle, that would fit where a sliding window goes, and do it that way. Then when your done, you just either replace, or just close the window. Not hard to do that....

2. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

I was thinking the same thing!!! Im also thinking maybe putting down a hearth, and back piece for safety. I just need to get some help on the window :) my windows look like this [​IMG]

3. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

CAUTION: Vogelzangs in the "box wood stove" types are notorious for leaks!
    I know, I have 1. Go to northen tool and look there, we got a nice one with a flat steel top, no leaks, has firebrick inside, for about $200.

4. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

dragonfly> would you please provide a link to the brand you like better please. It doesn't matter whether the link's to Northern Tool or not but there are so many of these box stoves it's hard to know which one is the better value when they all start looking alike.

5. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

yes, please give a link!!! I have to know whats good and what does not leak :) thanks for the great advice !

6. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

The important thing I've not been able to do is convince my lady to prepare. She thinks I'm nuts.

7. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Bat - Watch a few Yankeepreeper videos with her in earshot. It worked on my Falconess. She is a hard core prepper now, motivated by a deep maternal need to protect and safeguard her children. Yankeeprepper has girls, and speaks of them frequently.

8. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

important things you have not gotten done?

The last 2 1/2-3 yrs. has taken it's toll on me financially. I'm feeling neekid and need to restore my non-existent savings account, reduce my debt outside my mortage, restock my food stores and somehow get a few more firearms and ammo, ammo, ammo.

Most importantly continue working on feeding the brain knowledge, that's the hard one, LOL!

9. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

10. ColtCarbine

Inserting this from another thread, so we are all on the same page.

Please know you are not alone, I know this all can be overwhelming. You are not the only one that feels they have more prepping to do. I think you would be surprised to hear the areas of preparedness some of the other members are lacking in, including myself.

11. ColtCarbine

I helped a close friend install an outdoor wood-fired boiler/furnace, not actually a boiler as the tank isn't a pressure veseel. We installed a hot water coil in the plenum of his gas-fired forced air furnace, a heat exchanger for the gas-fired domestic hot water heater, a hot water coil w/fan to heat the garage and snow melt for his driveway. These work well and are pretty darn effiecient but if the power grid goes down and you don't have any options for electrical backup it's just a big box sitting in the yard. They are also not cheap, if a person is on a budget. The one my buddy purchased was well over $10K.

12. ColtCarbine

She has a boiler for hydronic heat. I will agree 100%, she should not purchase a tin can tent stove and get a real woodstove made of plate steel or cast-iron from a known manufacturer. If this is the way she is going to go.

13. ColtCarbine

As far as venting the woodstove:

Where does the boiler flue vent exit the building? Depending on material the flue is comprised of, the size of the flue and whether it is insulated or not, will be a factor if it is even feasible. If a person was to utilize a boiler flue for a woodstove, this is something you would not want to run while the boiler was running. In today's world this would probably be a building and/or mechanical code violation, let alone against your rental agreement. Just kinda thinking out loud on this. I'll be waiting for the mechanical engineer to tell me I'm crazy, LOL!

When you say the fireplace is boxed in, as in there is a steel plate in front of the firebox or is it wood framed with sheetroock? If you use an existing fireplace, you will want to install a flue pipe the full length out the top of the chimney with a China hat type cap or something of the like.

I would imagine venting the stove out a window could work but if it was me I would use that as a last option. I have never seen it done but that does not mean you could not do so. You would just need to make sure it was done in a safe manner to protect your family from a possible fire and/or leaks from carbon monoxide.

14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Let me see if I can get most of this on the table.
    Candy's current status: Hydronic heat, no a/c. (Dunno what the fuel is, may not matter.) Gov't housing, so no mods allowed (structural or otherwise.) Thinking wood burner, presumably in the living space rather than the basement.
    I'm having a really hard time with the idea of a wood burner above the basement, and an even harder time thinking how to support the smoke pipe (much less with a jacket to retain the draft in cold weather) on the outside to get it high enough to support proper draft without mods to the building that would be painfully obvious. (And that ignores the support under the floor to take the weight of the stove and ready supply of wood.) Either way, the water piping will be vulnerable in a cold snap.

Dot gov is unlikely to want its assets "frozen" so I'd guess that fuel won't be a problem until the supply is so short that even gov't offices go without. All that said, the landlord is under an obligation to keep housing physical plant up if the renter doesn't do the damage, and so might be liable for damages that the renter can't control. If the lease has restrictions in it that prevent the renter from protecting the asset, then I don't know how it would play out in court, even if the court is heated.

All in all, I think screwed is the answer so long as in that house. Something doesn't ring right here.

15. ColtCarbine

I knew some of the above postings would get your wheels turning.

I meant to ask an obvious question but the original poster seems to be hell bent on spending her money on a supplemental heating system in a rental. Buying portable heaters and tons of small propane bottles, wanting tin can woodstoves.

It seems to me that if her parents live nearby, that would be the place to invest her funds and efforts at, not a rental.

More than one way to do what she wants but it would be against her rental agreement.

16. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Ummm.... I feel for her.... if a portable wood burning stove for around $200 can be bought that she could vent to the outside and take with her if she couldn't stay where she's at.... it's worth the peace of mind... even if we're not thinking logically. I'm sorta looking for the same thing to be honest. Fireplaces are charming and all but.... they're totally inefficient unless they've been modified and the modifications I have are totally dependent on electricity... just like my forced air furnaces are dependent on electricity.

17. ColtCarbine

EQ, you are not the only one that feels for her. There are plenty of folks here I'm sure that feel the same.

I guess one can never ask enough questions, to get all the facts in trying to help one access their situation. Certainly if what you say is true then hiding a stockpile of wood might be a challenge. Sounds like a temporary heat source might be the only option. Unsure though without knowing ALL the details. We could talk till we are blue in face about every type of scenario and possibly skirt around the obvious without even knowing it. Everybody's situation is different.

18. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

You know I just had that same thought. She is in a goobermint house/housing. She has a blocked or cut off chimney (ostensibly so a fire cannot be lit) how weird will it be when the Fedgoon inspector drives by and sees the chords of wood stacked in the yard and says to itself..."This house has no working fireplace...let us see if other things are amiss..." Just my rampant OPSEC paranoia coming out...

19. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

I would imagine that modifications and venting out the window would enable the landlord to evict. If the renter is endangering the structure or any nearby structures; the renter's out, period.

20. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Absolutely positively true.... we women definitely don't think logically at times. ;) No problem on a stockpile of wood... I think she's got two 5-year olds. Those could be set up like Lincoln logs with a tarp for a roof. Those Little Tykes playhouses are in the hundreds and they hardly ever show up on freecycle let alone Craigslist that much. In the video that guy showed a wooden window insert of some sort through which his wood burning stove vented. That wouldn't be an alteration to the existing structure.... I suppose if one got caught... one could always beg for forgiveness and start disassembling the whole kit and caboodle before their very eyes. Depends on the property manager or who ever else visits the house with any regularity.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7