important thing you have not gotten done?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by CANDY fISHER, Feb 8, 2011.

1. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

Ok, here is the story....
    Mom and dad do not believe anything is happening, mom does see things going down the drain, but when I ask her to stock pile or even help me help her and dad she would rather shop or buy junk she does not need .its been this way for years. both mom and dad are in there 80's and have spent unwisely . both are broke and there house is no longer there.s times get bad, they sold there home to the bank and as you called it a reverse mortgage. so the bank gets the house if they pass.
    Scroll to me, I have always been the logical daughter, the other 5 siblings are as I put it sleeping there fool heads off and think this old bag has a screw loose.
    My son is awol, he left 7 years ago after I took the little babies from him and his wife. His wife was abusive, both on drugs and my grand babies were suffering. left alone and well long story I got them both and there now 8 and 10. i have had them all there lives. he ( the dad) never gave a crap, blames me for his crappy life and the fact he refuses to work or even grow up. I tried many years to help him, paid his rent etc. but I got sick of having a big baby and there for told him to pull up his big boy pants and start being the man God called him to be and a father to his boys. thats when he took off and moved 90 miles away. never came back but called to say he was in jail and needed money and a lawyer. yeah, 7 years and he still needs someone to get him out of messes. Been dealing with this for months. and no did not get him a lawyer, I do not have 50000 to bail him and then get a lawyer for the same amount. My feeling is, if you do a crime pay the piper and he is mad as hell.
    back to mom and dad, well both love animals, so much so they have 4 cats indoors and 4 cats out doors, and 2 rotweilers and a small dog.
    my kids are allergic to cats, as well as I am. the dogs make it worse. my 10 year old boy has a handfull of health issues as he is alergic to almost all foods, and alergys to most every tree or plant. dust you name it. he gets 2 shots a week and has for many years. now I caqn care for this in my home, we have no animals that shed ( we have a poodle a Schnauzer and a maltese we are fine with these dogs.
    we have no dander and wood floors. well mom has all these animals and a ton of carpeting that is full !
    she and dad have a very small house, and with the small house, no extra bedrooms and them dang animals we would be sick fast and not to say where we would all sleep. I have had many sleepless nights as Im so worried about them, and I care for them every day as my job is to care for my handicapped nephew who lives with them and he is bed ridden.also mom and dad are not in good shape, mom suffers debilitating pain from back injury's and sever arthritis. I wrestle with the issue of taken them to my home, its huge and plenty of room, to having to go there and my ,little one getting sick and all of us suffering from alergys, and no where to sleep. My little one has much medications to last a long time with out the shots if need be, but at moms home he would not make it. the issues I have are great, do I leave mom and dad and my nephew and stay in my own home, or do I got there and my kids and I deal with the alergys and the sickness.
    Mom says she will never leave her cats, Im assuming when **** hits the fan she will have to, but again I do not have heat. they have a wood stove.
    I have a heap of issues that many do not and I hated to have to tell you my life's story because you all think Im nuts because Im trying to figure out how to make heat.
    Im pretty sure when **** hits the fan the government will not be to worried about seeing a stove pipe out my window, there is hundreds and hundreds of apartments and houses spread all over the small city. and they will have to much to deal with when there bombarded with there issues.
    this is a small housing authority, unlike big city housing. and really there is only 5 maintenance men and 1 director. Im pretty darn sure there going to worry about bigger fish LOL like keeping there own selves afloat!
    I can not see moms animals going hungry, I can not see this played out as it gives me grief. there not listening to me, and there not prepared. when y2k issues arose, I had to stock for my son his nutty wife, my parents and nephew and my little girl ( she is now 16) and my self. I did my best because no one else helped! I worked so hard, as Im doing now to make sure they all were safe in case it happend and the big black out came, and when it did not again I was the nut.
    Maybe the good Lord gave me a heads up, maybe I listen to his voice and thats why Im doing well right now and gaining a heads up on the stocking, but this has been so hard. being single, no family to help me, using every dollar I can muster up to get ahead has been to say the least tough.
    and you say Im hell bent on finding heat?? you bet!! what would you do in my shoes.??? ok, Im done LOL Im a tough bird, I take wonderful care of my kids, and I will do my damdest to continue to do so.

2. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

For what it's worth.... I didn't read the comment that way but then I'm married and have heard my own husband utter those words "hell bent".... it's a guy thing I'm pretty sure.... take a close look at the signature, "United we stand, divided we fall". He's sincere and that signature is pretty much the way I look at this whole situation. Anywhooo.... pat yourself on the back for all the practice you got under your belt with that Y2K scare.... better safe than sorry and you know something.... nobody would have been laughing or calling you nuts if even 1/10th of what they had predicted had come to fruition. BTW.... I remembered your 16 year old daughter (man oh man they can have mouths on them.... some of my friends have those x chromosome thingies called daughters) but.... screwed up on the 2 boys being both 5 so I'm thinking maybe a teepee built out of the woodpile so they can have their own pow wow out there. ;) Say.... your parents sound like my 1 brother and SIL!!! No cats but worse.... they have their heads up their asses lost in academia I'm afraid. They're convinced I'm nutty but nice.... so much so that out of our entire side of the family and my SIL's side of the family they chose us as the guardians for their children should something ever happen to them.... imagine that... the Dehydrating Queen and the Mexican walk with the kids. As far as I'm concerned... I think family members know who the other family members are with their heads screwed on some semblance of "right". They may not admit it but.... they know. Question for you.... has anyone taught you how to give a subcutaneous injection?

3. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

yeah, Im all alone here, my brothers and sisters ( half blood) really do not talk with me, there to busy with there rich mansions and there fancy cars and trucks to deal with little old poor me. but I got something they do not have, my eyes open and my pantry full. my eyes on the world and my mind in gear. my brother dave lives in a beautiful home he built right out side the city, log home, and he can and would do well, but my other family, well there to busy with fancy living and thinking im nuts to be concerned when the food goes and the gas hits the roof and the government takes all our rights away. I speak to none of them, they never in 50 years gave a crap and to tell you the truth I never cared. what I do not have in material possessions, I have in brains. I have a wide open look at the future and I prepare! Im pretty sure they are going to say., oh crap we were told and we did not listen. and im not feeding them. Im tired of trying to fix everyone and to care for everyone. I have a full plate with the little ones, and mom and dad and my nephew. My daughter is awesome, well loved by all and does not have a bad word to say. let me put it this way, she does not date, she does not plan to until college ( even though she has boys and men chasing her. she wants to save her self for marriage.
    these are my grand babies and my daughter. arn't they beautiful!
    ok took them off now lol

4. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Well... usually blood is thicker than water but... that's not always the case and you're sort of odd man out. I'd maybe try sitting down with your brother Dave sharing some of your concerns... not all... just the basics then ask him if the chips were ever down if you could look to him to take care of your kids. If not.... look to your neighbors and personal friends. I get along with my entire family.... always have for the most part other than a major league raised eyebrow from my mother when I let her know I was marrying him (music to jaws plays) a Catholic.... oh horrors.... one of those. One bump in the road isn't bad and it was over after we were married and she accepted him as one of her own kids. Thank God is all I can say because they got along so well which was important to me. Anywhooo... we do have people in addition to two families we're close with who would look after our boys as if they were their own if the unthinkable ever happened. Oddly enough.... the one brother we don't want getting our kids is the one who picked us for his. They love them but.... we don't want their ideology polluting their brains.... I'd sooner give my kids to you than to that brother and his wife.... they just don't get it and even when SHTF.... they'll still be blaming this mess on 8 years of Bush while jumping on the FEMA "people transporters" with glee.... they'll be saved by Obama!!! Whatever. Your kids are gorgous!!! Ours are sorta fair to midland in the looks department but they're all good hearted kids.

5. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

Some folks are lucky to have family that they are close to, unfortunately my family has never been close, and I will not be getting help from them, any of them. Im on my own. my last friend moved away to cap cod and one to california, Im all but by my self well almost, I got mom and dad and my nephew and my kids :) and hey you never comented on them above!

6. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Not all my family is close. Wish they were but... they're not. We're spread out pretty good. TX, CA, AZ, etc. I do have one brother and SIL just south of me in Chicago and another one out west of where we are by about an hour. One of my closest friends is nearby. After college we ended up 10 miles from one another. I have another close friend who is also nearby. Another very close friend's husband was recently transferred to CA. Fortunately, their parents are both from this area so they come back several times a year and they currently reside within a half hour of one of my brothers. I'm fortunate in that we will be able to stay connected. From what I've seen throughout my life, some families can be so incredibly dysfunctional.... any functional members are better off on their own.... who needs the emotional baggage?
    While you're prepping.... go get yourself a vision check... (laugh).... read what I said about your kids in the last two sentences of my post from where you quoted me. ;)

7. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

sounds like you have lots of family, your blessed :) and thanks about my kids :)

8. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

My mom passed away so cherish yours while you have her which... I'm sure you do even though you may not see eye to eye. My oldest brother passed away, he was only in his 60's. He was single and lived a few miles from us so he was over here weekly hanging out with us and the kids. That was a big loss because he was involved with the kids.... he was almost like a 2nd grandpa. My Dad is a little older than yours but he's doing great and he's over here at least a few times a month along with the rest of our family that lives close. We are very lucky but it helps that we like each other if that makes sense.
    --
    Ya, your kids are gorgeous. My youngest son took a glance... then a second glance... at your daughter's photo. He asked me if that was who I was online with. I told him no.... her mother. He said he liked the hair and that she was pretty. So.... there's a 2nd opinion from a kid her age who has little interest in girls. Actually, he has so little interest that I was surprised he commented at all. She must be really pretty... beyond moms commenting.... if it elicited a comment from that kid.
    --
    When you post right after me replying to me.... you don't need to quote me.... tee he. Everybody knows who you're replying to... ;) It was admittedly fun making you read your own quote of me commenting about your kids though!!!
    --
    I found this woodburning stove at Home Depot that might be worth asking for comments from those who have more experience than us, Logwood 900 sq. ft. Wood Stove - 1261 at The Home Depot. It's about $260 but it looks similar to the other one you found only the shipping and handling is included because the purchase is over $250. Something to ask for input on. I also found a discussion of wood stoves online that you might be able to pick up a few other stove suggestions from, Hearth.com | Wood Stoves, Fireplace, Pellet Stoves, Gas Stoves and More - Forums!.
    What's interesting about that thread is they have two members also expressing concerns about the Vogelzang brand,
    There is mention of a Jotul brand, Jøtul Wood Stoves, Gas Stoves and Fireplaces. I know nothing about it or the pricing.... maybe somebody here might.
    An EPA approved Englander 13NC was suggested in that thread as a small affordable box type stove, Englander Stoveworks at Sutherlands: 13-NC Freestanding Wood Stove. Again... I know nothing about it.
    Last one mentioned was a Century which evidently Lowes used to sell for about $350. Doesn't look like Lowes sells that brand any more. Looks like they're selling a Sutherland brand now but.... I found a review of it online so maybe it's out there somewhere for sale, Century Hearth Wood Stove Model #FW240007:: Accessories and a Review. They called it the original heat pump.
    --
    I found this information on the Century Hearth 2000 that might help you track one down for features and price comparisons,

9. hedger

hedger Monkey+

Functional Lifeforms

Equilibrium,

You rock! I love your posts. You absolutely nailed it telling the tale of dysfunctional and functional family members.

10. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

I swear.... everybody should go to a community center and take one of those $10 classes on using search engines.... that's what I did. Man oh man can I usually whiz around finding "stuff" now. Senior centers have similar classes too if you're over 60 and the ones around here are only $5. Bummer I'm a few years off from saving $5!!!!
    --
    Regarding dysfunction.... I'm quite familiar with human refuse.... they're out there.... they'll suck us dry if we're not on our toes. Anytime you have a family member like some of the siblings she got stuck with.... run... run very far.... and very fast. Did you ever watch the movie the Dark Crystal? There's this "thang" called "stress creep".... it's very real and we all need to protect ourselves from overload. If that means writing off a family member.... then we do it and don't look back otherwise we're just another podling letting our life essence get sucked out of our brains. There's waaaaaaaay too many good people out there to bother with the bad eggs. Life's too short.

11. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Jotul is a good, strong stove (in my experience). I would highly recommend it. :)

12. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

Hey girl wonderful post on the stoves, tomorrow when i am not so dang tired I am gong to look at all your links! I was talking to mom today, see the housing I live in ( site house 4 bedroom home) also owns hundreds of apartments, but get this, they just purchased a school that closed down 3 years ago and got it for 1.00 yep one dollar. I told mom thats where they will direct those of us with no heat. I would never go any where I may not get out of, or even think the government will care for us( yep its government homes I live in) I about crapped when I read they bought this school for a " community center" I will if need be get to moms, and I will pack my stuff there, problem is if there is a burst of any kind I won''t get any where with the ton of food and stuff I have here. and your right, some times you have to break away from those who will lech from you and take you down there sad path Im all about helping folks, heck thats what I have done my whole life, but at times I had to walk away, its just not worth the pain and sadness or anger to deal with them.
    oh your son liking my kids picture, how sweet! She is a looker, and she is sooooo sweet. She has a ton of hound dogs after her, but she does not date and when they come around, there to darn afraid of me to go very far. LOL
    she graduates next year, works at Dennys ( has for almost a year) and is going to go to college and take up nursing. She wants to be a surgical scrub nurse. we shall see what happens in the next 2 years.

13. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

If anyone has any comments on a Federal Airtight wood burning stove, I'd love to hear them. That's the stove I've been wanting to get a peek at in person. I have a deep high firebox on a fireplace here and I checked and that model should fit in well with plenty of space left on either side of it and above. Here's a peek at one I found that's waaay too far away for me to check out, Wood Stove - Federal Airtight. I've been on the lookout for one locally because this is the brand I "think" I might want. Sooner or later it'll show up and hopefully for a good price.
    --
    Candy> definitely check out those stoves and now you know for sure to check out the Jotul. Ya, our kid is a sweetie too.

14. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

If size of the area to heat is not too large, consider the "blue flame" propane wall mount heaters that have no need of a vent/flue! Northern tool has them! http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial
    We installed a wood stove, (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_425015_425015) up north in a 12 x 60 mobile home and at full tilt it barely heats anything more than the living room area. So far in 2 months it has burned 2 cords of wood, which is neither cheap, nor small in area. I was surprised to see a full cord of wood stacked up! I was NOT happy about the prices though! In Phoenix ( if you can get them, a cord is $225.00, up north they run about $150.00, due only to the closeness of the forests and wood.)
    Family:
    I have a 21 year old son that lives 12 feet away and barely talks to me. The rest of my "tribe" all 7 of them are scattered all over Phoenix and 1 up in Wickenburg. I have a 64 year old sister that lives 1.5 miles away and we talk every year or so, for about 10 minutes, when she has the time....
    I have 2 ex's that live within rock throwing distance and we never speak....too busy, ya know? I made the decision some time ago that I am no longer concerned about their welfare. I can't be. I tried for the past so MANY years to help and advise. They ignored me and it was the story of the ant and the grasshopper, all over again! Some will be iron willed and make it, others won't.

15. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

16. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

sounds like my family, mom and I are close oh and dad, but there is where it ends. all my relatives live in my town in fact a 5 mile radius and 2 live in washington. my brother lives down the alley. I gave up long ago, let them eat at the community center!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7