In a City If There's A Deadly Pandemic How Long Do You Have Till Water Is Shut Off inc Toilet Water

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ED GEiN, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

While you sit in your apartment, worrying about how much water you have or don't have, think about the waste treatment plant that is no longer operating and that even if you have the volume of fluid to flush, there are no operational pumps to move the sewage. Unless you are on the second floor, then your neighbor's apartment below becomes a cesspool.

Get out of the apartment, get a second job if you have to, eat beans and rice to afford it, just get out....

2. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

The most logical answer here is............ THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY TO KNOW.

Cruisin Sloth, chelloveck and ghrit like this.
  3. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Wow Thanks I owe you bigtime on this. I did not consider or even known that Waste Treatment Plants exists. I thought that the water supply and toilets just have to do with the grid- when they go out no more water to flush. Special request if you don't mind, If there's a deadly pandemic and the grid goes down (I should have worded my question this way,) and waste treatment plants go down, how long would you guess best case and worst case scenario, you can no longer use toilets after the pandemic officially starts? Thank You.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  4. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Yes, but you can at least have a general range to plan accordingly,

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I have no idea how to determine if a pandemic has got off the ground, but I can tell you that when the power goes out, you have one flush left and no more water than is already in the house.

T5R is correct. There is no possible way to know. Anything else is a pure T guess.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2017
    Tully Mars and chelloveck like this.
  6. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Perhaps the failure of sanitation service and waste water drainage is the root cause of the pandemic (colera, typhoid anyone?) In which case, by the time the number of pandemic cases reaches a critical mass before Medical / health disease control services responds to the emergency...folks will already be behind the eight ball.

Best assume that grid water supplies may be cut off without notice, and may not necessarily resume immediately, depending on the nature of the outages, and the ability of service providers to get their infrastructure working again.

techsar and Tully Mars like this.
  7. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

I realize that. That's what I'm asking. If I know there would be just for a hypothetical example, 3 months of function, I'd factor that into the bottled water I would have in my residence, or weigh that against getting the hell out of where I am and taking my chances on nowheresland!

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I really do not think you realize it or you would get off the train of asking for random guesses. Looks to me as tho' you might as well set up a dart board, that'll be as good as any guess you'll find here. Or maybe throw some dice, it'll all be about the same level of probability, whether hours, days, weeks or months. The dinner bell just rang Ed, time to give up on this one.

Gator 45/70 and Homer Simpson like this.
  9. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Get a shovel , dig a hole , Make an outhouse ! No problem !! , & no water neeeded, Now find the A$$ wipe !!

Sloth

3M-TA3 and Motomom34 like this.
  10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Typically the Sewer Systems will continue to function for days, even weeks, without power... they usually just go into bypass....

VisuTrac likes this.
  11. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Just out of curiosity, as you guys have read a lot more than I have on these kind of subjects and you don't seem to like/agree on speculation, do any Survival type books offer, rightly or wrong, timelines? If not, then the entrepreneur in me sees an opening in the market for a book that does for the layman.

12. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

IMG_0875.JPG

AZZ WIPE!!! :D

Thunder5Ranch, 3M-TA3 and Motomom34 like this.
  13. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Just a suggestion....use a different one for nose picking.... :eek:

3M-TA3 and Motomom34 like this.
  14. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Depending on location sewer systems will not continue to function .
    If the grid is down ,pumping stations that lift sewage water to sanitation stations will be down as well.
    I have worked on these pumps and back ups are necessary and in place so that regular service can be maintained .but if the grid is down there is no back up for that.
    This also means that with out those pumps operational sewage will begin backing up , especially those in a valley or flat land .

15. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Another reason to have your own well and septic.
    Not beholden to the government to provide my water .. and the monthly (quarterly) fee for it.
    Granted, a well and septic are not free of costs but they also can't be cut off my the municipality because they have an issue with their water treatment facilities (potable and sewage) or due to non-payment of a government fee.

ED GEiN, Dunerunner and Tully Mars like this.
  16. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

But, having your own well and septic provides independence. You can flush with waste water from clothes washing, dish washing or body washing and worst case build an outhouse over an inspection cover on the septic tank. Having a system to collect rain water will assist in the supply of water, but you have to be able to filter and purify it to potable standards

Tully Mars and chelloveck like this.
  17. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

I wish I had!

18. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have become a city dweller. I now rely on city resources for water, sewage etc..the kids and I gather wool, day dream or play what if a lot, that is how we are learning. We have discussed this scenario, are not 100% on it but gather ideas steadily. We do have water stored in jugs but we also have a large amount of storage totes. Depending on the time of the year a pandemic hits, we could be rationing water or we could be doing fine. Making use of the weather is key. Monsoon rains, snow etc. We plan on gathering water that falls freely from the sky. The easiest is to cover the patio with totes but that is minimal water caught. The idea of tapping into the gutter system from the apartment roof and funneling the water into our area is what we would like to do. Cut the nearest downspout, put an elbow and drain pipe leading into totes/water bins. For snow the idea was proposed to lay a tarp out, collect the snow that way. The idea is to stay inside avoiding others as much as we could.

These are just some of the ideas that we came up with. It has only been a few months that we have lived in a city setting. It has been a learning experience and we are in this to win. The city utilities will not stay on long. Once the workers start getting sick, the shortage of workers will stop the utilities.

19. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Forget about snow, unless you have a VERY Large Surface Area that doesn't get contaminated during a windy day.... and you will have to have a very reliable and long lasting Energy Source to turn it into water... Been there, understand the issues...

Tully Mars and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Make a Grey water septic , many old did & have that tank pump-able for irrigation .
    Worked on a few .

Sloth

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7