In a City If There's A Deadly Pandemic How Long Do You Have Till Water Is Shut Off inc Toilet Water

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ED GEiN, Apr 14, 2017.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  2. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

I shockingly read and was astonished by this, that rain water is not very safe to drink, as it goes through all the pollutants and the smoke/chemicals from factories, etc. I'd double check on that if I were you.

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Depends on the Rain Water, and where you are when you collect it.....

chelloveck likes this.
  4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

If they shut off all my water including the toilet water I'll just drink Brondo like everyone else. My body craves it.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

If I am in a pandemic, house bound and no water. Darn right I will process and drink rain water. Death from dehydration vs. rain that may have smoke and chemicals..... can't be that bad. I have eaten Twinkies and Taco Bell, what's a few more toxins? :D

6. BTPost

Hey @Motomom34 Have you ever nuked a Twinkie, in a Microwave...

Ganado likes this.
  7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Ed, we have a slew of threads on water treatment, most will pop up if you do a site search. You'll need to do some preps before your pandemic hits.

ED GEiN and chelloveck like this.
  8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Nope but I may have to try one now. 15 seconds? or less......

chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

It'll tell you when it's done. Set for 4 minutes and shut it off when the twinkie speaks.---

GrayGhost and Motomom34 like this.
  10. BTPost

AlaskaChick still ribs me about the results, to this day, after 30 years.... I only did it once, and that was enough...

chelloveck and Motomom34 like this.
  11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

It is not so difficult to assemble a 5 gallon bucket and build a filter with stone sand and activated charcoal .
    Charcoal can be gotten at a pet store in the fish department.
    Sand, and gravel is readily available at lumber yards .
    You can even do it with out putting a hole in the bucket , simply use a s small hose and syphon from the bottom.
    1. fine Screen
    2. activated charcoal
    3. screen
    4. sand
    5. screen
    6. on top washed gravel or stone
    the screen material must be fine enough that the material above it will not pass through .
    7. coffee filter paper
    If the water is passed through a paper filter before any other filter ,it can extend the ice of your filter system.
    Depending on the status of the event I would strongly consider adding colloidal silver to the water as well.
    There is a process for filtering radiation but i lost that info.
    But in the event there is fall out spread through the atmosphere ,all surface water will be tainted .
    Even distillation may not remove it, seeing it is carried in clouds due to the Fukushima disaster.

Tully Mars, Motomom34 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  12. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Rainwater was the ONLY source of water for the folks who built this house in 1964. It would probably still be the only source had not the county required a well be dug and piped in when the home sold in 2009. Think about that...the original owners lived here for nearly 50 years with captured rainwater as their only source of water. We still use that rainwater ourselves...mostly for washing and gardening, but it is our backup in case something ever happens to the well. We filter both the well and the rainwater for drinking purposes. Lord knows the rainwater isn't as hard and irony as the well!

Motomom34 and Tully Mars like this.
  13. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

I never seem to have any trouble finding A$$ Wipe :) Some of the questions for example make me want to pull my hair out and wipe my A$$ with it. See A$$ wipe right there and handy!

14. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Look you are looking at a totally untenable position and trying to make it tenable. Water is heavy, 1 gallon weigh 8.33 pounds, 5 gallons weighs 41.65# a 55 gallon barrel 458.15 pounds. How long will a 55 gallon barrel last you? I know people that it would last 1 shower. I would not suggest hiding four of them in your closet. Your downstairs neighbor won't appreciate the ceiling caving in. The bottom line is you are wholly dependent on the system and have said in so many words you will not leave the system behind even when it fails. It doesn't matter if the system is down for a day or forever you have a finite resource that will run out. The toxic disease sewage back up will just be bonus material. If not your own waste then someone elses. At some point you will be forced to choose between a slow agony filled death or becoming a refugee.

There is a reason most Urban Prepper types have a BUG OUT plan with a destination and safe spots along the route. There is also a reason why most serious prepper types don't live in large Urban areas and primarily have BUG IN plans. In either situation there are variables that you can't control or predict. Like when or if the water gets shut off, or the electric, or the mass transit, or the phone towers, or the highways. In the event of a pandemic it is very possible Cities will be turned into big ole quarantine zones. Depending on how virulent the disease is, it is also possible you would shot and your corpse burned on the spot to prevent the further spread of the disease. Heck they might just send the flame tanks and flame throwers in to roast you in your apartment. Or just drop incendiary devices to torch the entire quarantined population to minimize infection of healthy troops. I would also be worried about the aliens watching us taking matters into their own hands and just using the death ray from their lunar base to prevent a intergalactic outbreak!

How long do you think the aliens would wait before using the death ray to vaporize your neighborhood. I suspect they would turn the water off right before that happened so you would not be able to put the inferno from the death ray out with the gardeners hose! But before we can know when the water would be shut off, we must know the timeline and protocols of the aliens firing the death ray!

Motomom34 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  15. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

I actually just read and got, the posted question. Point one all of the water coming into your house or apartment is from the same water line

Motomom34 likes this.
  16. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

If all the water in your house comes from the same source, how does the toilet water know to go to the toilet and not into your kitchen sink where it goes into your drinking glass? Just kidding everybody knows toilet water is blue, just like Berry flavored Brondo. My body craves the electrolytes.

17. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

Sorta on the subject. I have a Big Berkey water filter. Works on gravity. Mine filters 2.25 gal. at a time. Filters are supposed to be good for 6000 gal. Designed to filter non potable water (rain, lake, river) but used a lot just to treat poor tasting or questionable tap water.

Tully Mars likes this.
  18. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

I am a FEMA instructor trainer. We looked at this during a bird flu pandemic scenario. Couple of folks talked about city workers becoming ill, or power going out. That could happen, but probably not right away.
    The biggest threat a pandemic poses to the water system comes from our "just in time" delivery system. Most cities would run out of the chemicals they use to treat the water in about 5 days if any type of quarantine is imposed. You can also think how the just in time delivery would affect your grocery store (think about what it looks like before a hurricane).

If water is a concern (and it should be) you should be looking at things like a ceramic (Berkey springs to mind) water filter, dry chlorine (doesn't go bad as quickly), and other means to purify your water.

Personally, after we did this exercise, I went on line, found several big water storage bags (100 gal is the smallest....they would be filled and stored in my garage on the floor due to weight) and a Big Berkey water filter with a spare set of filters. I also keep about 5 gallons of plain (no additives) liquid bleach that I use and change out every 6 months and a few packages of dry chlorine.

For most pandemics you should also have some N95 masks, disposable gloves and shoe covers for when you have to go out in public. I have a couple of battery operated UV sterilizers for use on car door handles, steering wheels and things like that since flu spreads by contact with infected substances.

ED GEiN, Ganado and techsar like this.
  19. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Overall a good post, but for the cost difference N100 or P100 masks (or filter cartridges) would be a safer choice...after all some viirons are quite small ;)

Ganado likes this.
  20. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Pandemic would generally have nothing to do with the water. unless the pandemic is in/due to the water.
    If you've not got water before the event ,scrounging for unexposed sources is your only hope .
    Depends on the strength of the virus, and the measures it takes to neutralize it .

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7