INCH Bag

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by TailorMadeHell, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Yes, all excellent points. Sooner or later, we may have to accept the fact that a bug out will be the only means to survive. If you are willing to die for your stuff and stay put, that's your call. Some folks are just not physically capable of bugging out. I can certainly understand the reasoning behind bugging in and not wanting to ever leave your AO. However, on the subject itself, when it may become inescapable, having an INCH bag prepared and a solid plan can mean the difference between being ready or being a guest at a FEMA camp.

oldawg, Ganado and TailorMadeHell like this.
  2. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

And remember, there are no Taco Tuesdays in a fema camp.

Yard Dart and Brokor like this.
  3. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

And there are no easy meals on the road. Zero, none . No taco tuesday or even a soup saturday. Better in a fema camp than trying to hack out an existence in the bush. Ill take my chances here.

oldawg and Ganado like this.
  4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I look at an INCH pack in the view of the house lost to fire or a land war approaching I can't stand alone in ,nor those with me.
    If one has made no preparation for their house burning down, they are only fooling them selves.
    No insurance company is going to be there ether to hold your hand at that point.
    However having an external storage facility would be a practical method of preparation especially if it is under ground sharing the cooler temperatures of the earth . It could even be a place say (except in the event of an invasion).
    Call it what you want but the fact of the matter is ,a solid back up plan is what makes you the hero.

5. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

When I lived in California, I had a large barrel buried in the backyard, what was called an earthquake Barrel.
    Inside was everything you might need for a camping trip for 4 people some spare clothes, cash, and a weapon with some ammo. Can goods in a 5 gallon bucket in the top, enough food and water for a few days. Nothing fancy, and nobody but me knew where it was.

6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

That barrel is smart .
    Long as you don't forget it, and up date it from time to time.

7. kellory

That's why the foodstuffs are in a 5 gallon bucket on top. So I didn't have to fully unload it to check the food. Just pop the seals, and grab the bucket.

arleigh likes this.
  8. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

We have fire covered. (multiple buildings here) Like I said we can not walk out. For us to leave we would have to use a vehicle. The Jeep wont go very far on 10 gallons of propane. Bout a hundred miles. If I pull the trailer even less. I could pack up all my canning tanks and get another 200 miles.We have mountain bikes but cant carry much on a bike but at this point the bikes are our best form of transportation Then there is lake Michigan and our 18 FOOT Starcraft which would need a lot of gasoline but we could cross the big lake and be in Wisconsin in about 4 hours. Everything depends on the threat. But the thought of leaving my wife here and walking out with Inch bag is not going to happen.

9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Maybe I have been thinking incorrectly but isn't a BOB basically the same as an INCH bag? Shouldn't you EveryDay Carry, Get Home Bag and Bug Out Bag should they all have the assumption that you are not going home? I am an optimistic person but I also try to be real about things. My bag and the tub I have in my car have items that swap depending on season and situation. Maybe I don't get it but what is the difference between a BOB and INCH? Shouldn't your GHB have contingencies in case you don't make it home? I just read an article on levels- Organizing Your Survival Kit into Levels - The Prepper Journal Does anyone think if they are bugging out, utilizing your BOB that you will return?

10. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Commonly, a BOB is considered a bag you use to go longer term to a BOL. INCH bag is usually a "hitting the wilderness to rebuild" bag.

chelloveck and TailorMadeHell like this.
  11. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

We have get home bags in the car or truck for any time we travel which these days is not much. The most we ever travel now is about an hour driving away.

I would think anyone planning on bugging out and never returning would build a scavenging bag. carry spices like salt, water straws, small compact food bars ,traps, fishing gear, small caliber .22 rifle and pistol. Good knife and multi tool. Travel light but with the tools to open doors, break or pick locks etc. Still a tough road to go down.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    Yard Dart and TailorMadeHell like this.
  12. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

I now have a Molle II ruck in woodland camo. Upgrading my BOB. Thinking a folding cart on the roof rack will suffice to allow for mobility if the jeep can't go somewhere. Lots of steps I am missing. Just invested in a Fire HD 8 and a 128gb memory stick so I can store ports and some videos. Anybody know of a good hard case? Don't want it to get broke in a pack. Also will get a solar charger for it.

13. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

My EDC is a swiss army computer back pack Is my BOB It weighs 30 lbs and I cary it every day .
    I ride a motorcycle ever day and I'm never with out my BOB.
    I calculate my walking distances to home ,every where I go, in the event of an EMP or Carington event .
    One of the the bags Mounted on the bike I have a 2 wheeled cart I can assemble for this event as well.
    I reason that if it takes a long time to get home, I may have to forcibly reclaim my place or give it up and live on why I've got.
    I know how to scavenge what I need .
    No distance home can be assumed to be a simple walk on the highway and my involve over land navigation,a few days to a few weeks, this means map and compass are essential .
    I keep a binoculars/scope with me as well primarily for viewing the way ahead for safety, and looking for game as well along the way.

14. Brokor

Didn't you read the first post by TMH or my first reply?

15. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Yes. Actually I read the whole thread twice. I will not derail TMH's thread with the rest of my thoughts.

16. Brokor

Then perhaps you need to read it for a third time and then try to stay on topic with your thoughts?

You do know I am having fun poking at you because I can almost hear what you would say, then I would say something to make you all confused.
    Okay, okay --it's not some kind of magical unicorn, this INCH bag. It really is the same as any BOB or GHB, and the only difference is the intentions of the user with the specific idea in mind that they never intend to return home. Some will say the BOB is exactly this, and perhaps so. But, I do like the concept behind the acronym of "INCH" because it specifically separates it from the same genre in which bug out bags have become commonly associated --that being hiking and ordinary backpacking to a hyped and commercialized zombie apocalypse. The INCH bag concept can be rooted within military channels, and as such, it can still remain streamlined with the combat philosophy of use in mind. Now, this may only be my own take on it and nothing more, and the differences may seem trivial to the adept, but you should know by now how much I do admire simplicity and a well ordered and structured approach. If we can first start off framing our INCH bag contents on the preconception that we will be moving permanently and with very clear purpose to absolutely defend ourselves, all of the commercialized survival contents stand the chance of being relegated to the "bug out bag" category. A strong focus on long-term survival then becomes a focal point. We are no longer just concerned with a 1 to 3 day hike to a bug out location, but may attempt to bring what we deem to be the most practical and rugged equipment for long term use. I guess it all comes down to an attempt to separate a small, core philosophy from the main stream craze, and keeping the ideas behind the purpose of bugging out from simply being a choice of fight or flight. (This can be evidenced by Kingfish's insistence that only a bug-in routine will function for him)

The idea becomes fully evident once we can accept these factors:

1. You no longer have a choice and must either leave or stay where you are and most likely die as a consequence.
    2. You possess the ability to defend yourself with weaponry.
    3. You are in proper physical and mental shape to actually move, shoot, and communicate.
    4. You intend to make this move permanent, be it for long term survival in the wilderness or around and within urban settings.

"INCH" = "I'm Never Coming Home"

Motomom34 likes this.
  17. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Say for the sake of argument your at work and all hell breaks loose or EMP, and you have been in hiding due to riots or pandemic or some other natural or man made disaster .
    You emerge to find every thing aflame or smoking and your work location is a war zone .
    How are you getting home, and if you can get home is it worth the risk ?
    A Bee line home may not be the best route.
    Did you prepare with communications other then cell phone ?
    Are your loved ones on board? seriously .
    It's not just the stuff you've got , but knowing how to improvise with what's available and thinking on your feet.
    I taught my kids to think this way and have the advantage in a desperate situation.
    Do you need a knife, or can you make do with a broken piece of glass and rag wrapped around it ?
    Rich people are accustomed to buying what ever they want but not so good at making the thing's they need.
    A wise person doesn't wait till poverty to learn how to do things for them self.

18. kellory

Most of the rich folks I have ever met, did not start out rich, and had to fight they're way up. I think most folks think everything was somehow just given to them.
    My uncle is a millionaire, several times over. Yet he plants his own trees, by hand, and earned every dollar himself.
    He is a loud mouthed jerky sometimes, and ALLWAYS has to be RIGHT (even when he is wrong ) but he is one of the smartest people in the country in his fields.
    I KNOW he grew up in construction, and heavy labor, I KNOW he had nearly nothing as a child. No one GAVE him anything, and yet what he invented has saved the lives of @half a dozen men every year for the last 50 years.
    He would not use broken glass and a rag, when he could spend an hour and make something lethal.
    Don't sell the rich short, most of them ain't stupid.

19. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

And WHY WOULD I plan on using a broken bottle, when I CAN have a real knife?

20. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

We all know folks like that, and it isn't necessary for them to be wealthy, either. Gotta say, that set of traits is one best lost before the "incident" happens. I would say that a bit of humbleness will go a LONG way in social interactions after the "incident" as well as now.

chelloveck and kellory like this.
  1. Hanzo
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. Coyote Ridge
  7. ED GEiN
  8. Coyote Ridge
  9. Motomom34
  10. Grandpa Patch
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: Asia-Off-Grid, Jul 25, 2018, 10 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  12. Shinzo
  13. DarkLight
  14. Fatum1965
  15. Fatum1965
  16. 3M-TA3
  17. Thunder5Ranch
  18. Motomom34
  19. ED GEiN
  20. medicineman
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7