INCH Bag

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by TailorMadeHell, Mar 21, 2016.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

The truth of that can be demonstrated by the Roman siege of Masada.

Some 2K years on, and the siege work is still visible. It ended very badly for the defenders.

[​IMG]

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Edit: Rather than extending the deviation from the OP topic with additional posts on the issue of successful and unsuccessful defences, I thought it best to reply to @Tikka 's later post in this one.....

I should have added the caveats "with sufficient time, resources, appropriate tactics and effective leadership there are no fixed fortifications that cannot (in principle) be taken". Yes there have been many successful defences of fixed fortifications, and without a doubt, it is very well worthwhile studying the factors contributing to both to success or failure in specific cases.

Although the principles of war, and the military principles of Defence and Attack are relevant factors worth considering in planning for a fixed defence of a BOL or Bil, both BOL and BIL defence planning will need to take into account the fact that the affair will be pretty much "come as you are with what you have at the time". Long term sustainment may be a severe limitation, and you may not be able to rely on the "cavalry" to arrive in time to save your bacon.

I am indebted to Tikka for referencing Fire Support Base Burt (SVN). It is an interesting narrative well worth reading.

http://277arty.net/battleburt.html
    Vietnam War Battle of FSB Burt

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  2. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Patton's version: "Fixed fortifications are monuments to man's stupidity." However, Bastogne, FSB Burt, Ia Drang, and others were examples of the other side of the coin.

Ganado and chelloveck like this.
  3. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

It take a certain type with a certain understanding to be able to make fortifications useless.

4. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

One of the simplest is probe multiple locations and hit someplace else.

5. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

True. Which is a case of fortification working.

6. rjburk

rjburk Monkey

INCH Bag....Your never coming home because you will die or get killed.....

Brokor likes this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

DSCN4154.JPG DSCN4155.JPG This is put together with available materials.
    an old wheel chair, and steel conduit and the fixtures for making an awning .I built it so that it cn be configured in any fashion necessary ,longer shorter or taller .
    I may replace the screw locks with quick pins and make it even simpler .
    anything can be used for the web ,rope paracord or wood for that matter .
    It will take over 300 LBS and there are slots in certain spots to allow it to articulate over rough terrain.
    I load it and use it all over the property moving rolls of chain link fence or wood or large water tanks . the beauty is that it can be brken down to it's simplest componants and stored in the trunk of a car, the largest component being the wheels. If this is a bug out vehicle , and you provide your self tarp and extra tubing you can repurpose the whole thing to be a frame for a shelter or a bed for that matter. DSCN4156.JPG

I got to thinking that if you party happens to have an injured member, this would be a means of transporting them to safety better than simply a wheel chair.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2016
  8. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Nice idea I would prefer the tires to be larger in the front and maybe a bit fatter, like a mountain bike tire per se....but smaller in height like a yard wagon....... to traverse dirt and other rough terrain better.
    [​IMG]

Years ago, I pushed a jeep a couple of times, for a few miles.... through the sandy back-roads of NC... and that was hell. Pushing a gurney with those little, narrow tires will be worse. ;)

Witch Doctor 01 and chelloveck like this.
  9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Surprisingly throughout all my property, those narrow wheels don't give me any problem, and for the front ,those wheels are merely for setting down and putting most of the load on the large wheels any way.
    I've hauled it around loaded and it's not all that bad.
    never the less I figured that this might serve as an inspiration for others using the tubing and a more multi use option.

10. chelloveck

The large wheel (fulcrum point) should be positioned over the centre of balance. Large straps that loop over the shoulders should take the weight of balancing, while the hands pretty much just do the guiding / steering.

11. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Mine can be attached to my belt, and follow behind, leaving hands free and view unobstructed.

chelloveck likes this.
  12. chelloveck

I suspect that there are advantages to both methods....I'd be recommend for quick release mechanisms, for practical as well as safety purposes....being fixed to a weighty runaway cart on a steep slope or near a precipice might be a hazard to avoid.

13. kellory

Pop the belt, and it's gone.

chelloveck likes this.
  14. kellory

Not to get off the bag subject, but the carry cart has been tested for carrying a wounded hunter and gear. With the cable mesh surface, you can lash anything down, or simply bungee net it, and it does not ever need a kickstand. If you look close, you will see a rope and clips that run the length of the rope. This works well as a quick adjustable lash, by zigzaging over items to be carried, and attaching to the mesh.[​IMG]

arleigh and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  15. chelloveck

I don't think that it is a topic diversion...well, at least not much of one. It just enables a larger INCH bag to be transported, than may be carried on one's back. With suitable floatation, it would make a handy raft for punting supplies and equipment, as well as non swimmers, and any disabled personnel across water obstacles.....

Yard Dart and kellory like this.
  16. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I prefer the travios, and the tumpline, for carrying larger loads and getting away from then in a hurry.

Tikka and chelloveck like this.
  17. chelloveck

18. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

It would be possible to spring load the brake levers so that a cable going to the handles would need to be pulled to disengage the brake in the simple act of pulling the unit. So that even if you are traversing down hill it would have the tendency to brake for you while your working your way down . .

chelloveck likes this.
  19. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@arleigh
    Most mechanical brake systems are pull to actuate.

@AxesAreBetter
    Infantry or any fighting force carries a large pack. They drop the weight when they will be fighting, So your "getting away from then in a hurry" is spot on.

20. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I understand that about normal braking systems however it has been done before in the automotive industry as a safety brake if the air pressure fails on a bus.
    Spring loading the brake to hold bound, and providing a cable to reverse it is easy.

chelloveck and kellory like this.
  1. Hanzo
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. Coyote Ridge
  7. ED GEiN
  8. Coyote Ridge
  9. Motomom34
  10. Grandpa Patch
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: Asia-Off-Grid, Jul 25, 2018, 10 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  12. Shinzo
  13. DarkLight
  14. Fatum1965
  15. Fatum1965
  16. 3M-TA3
  17. Thunder5Ranch
  18. Motomom34
  19. ED GEiN
  20. medicineman
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7