INCH Bag

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by TailorMadeHell, Mar 21, 2016.

1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Correct, trucks are set up that way as well, with air brakes that lock if the cab and trailer part ways. It requires pressure to keep the brakes open. (IE:Deadman switch) however....my cart has no brakes besides the driver. The levers are welded to the wheel bolts, and allow the cart to disassemble in seconds without tools.[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    chelloveck likes this.
  2. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Easy to do or not, I doubt I'd want to push or pull Kellory's cart in the woods with a 100# or so on it while constantly squeezing a brake.
    Hauling a dead deer or a 150-200# person on irregular terrain would be a challenge without having to keep pressure on a brake.

IMO, a better way would be to somehow incorporate a dead man into the design without the advantage of air or electricity. I don't see that being easy. ;)

I do know @kellory 's dead man switch is required by law. As small popup campers lack one and large hard side campers do have one; the requirement must be weight based.

3. kellory

We should split this off as a separate thread, I think.
    As for the Deadman switch, THAT part is easy. Preloaded spring drive brake, held by a depressed vertical lifting or dropping handle, held depressed by a large cotter pin on a dead man tether. Separation pulls the pin, and brakes lock. Goes off like a grenade. ;)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    chelloveck likes this.
  4. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

A bicycle sprocket and a 6mm or .25" grade 8 or greater bolt. Pull your pin and the bolt drops. As both the teeth and bolt are in a shear mode; it would stop a lot more weight than anything the cart could carry.

When faced with problems, inventive minds head off on tangents. ;)

kellory likes this.
  5. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Caliper brakes from bicycles are not that hard to install ,but the brake on the wheel chair as far simpler. disk brakes would be the cat's meow, either way the would be nothing to squeeze per say if it is rigged properly .
    Merely lifting the lever below the handle with a little extra grip similar to a bike brake lever is all it would take .obviously it would need to be adjustable ,to accommodate the changes in the load .
    Immagine pushing or pulling up or down a hill and being able to set it down and let the brake apply. Once you've conditioned you self to the process it would all work pretty smoothly.
    Immagine some one trying to take off with your cart and you've got the brake locked.
    I realize that for some folk this all sounds complicated ,creativity is not for the faint of heart , I enjoy the challenge .

6. kellory

[​IMG] this type works very well, and is in use daily across the country.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2016
  7. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

8. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I have looked into the old hand carts many times, but they don;t make modern tires to handle the load right.

9. Witch Doctor 01

I have seen some made with the old style wheels and two fan/drive belts on each wheel to allow for wear...

10. kellory

Rubber, instead of an iron rim?

11. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

I am going to have to lake a closer look at the wheel chair brakes on some of the more advances chairs around work.. We have a couple that are capable of reclining or squating down..

This thread has set my imagination to wandering on possibilities.. Even more than on motorcycle trailers..

kellory likes this.
  12. kellory

Take it a step further, and let the family dog assist...[​IMG]
    Or even carry you too....
    [​IMG]

chelloveck likes this.
  13. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@kellory
    Those are big dogs. One of my girls father was a pulling champion in the 75# class.

However, we aren't going any where unless it is to our campsite which is remote.

kellory likes this.
  14. Witch Doctor 01

Rubber/fiber on top of Iron...

chelloveck and kellory like this.
  15. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

The tanned leather of Republicans should work well...they're pretty thick skinned ;)

16. kellory

But Ausie-skin would be better Down-Under, where the leather meets the road....:rolleyes:

chelloveck likes this.
  17. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

It probably explains why Australia is a constitutional monarchy rather than a republic...not many Australians will own up to being Republicans.

18. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I sure wouldn't use a democrat there like an thin skinned inner tube and need inflation and at the first sign of trouble run flat.

One of the reasons I chose the wheel chair tire and wheel is that it is solid rubber so there is no worry about flats.
    If I lived in snow country again, I would provide a pair of skis to clamp onto the wheels.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  19. kellory

Gotcha, but what about the INCH bag? You have several methods of carrying more, but what to carry?

chelloveck likes this.
  20. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I do not have a cart. I am looking for a baby carrier to attach to a bike. I think if it gets to the point of not coming home then it is going to be what I have. IMO if I left my home then it would have been in a hurry so what ever I grabbed will be it.

1. Hanzo
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. Coyote Ridge
  7. ED GEiN
  8. Coyote Ridge
  9. Motomom34
  10. Grandpa Patch
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: Asia-Off-Grid, Jul 25, 2018, 10 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  12. Shinzo
  13. DarkLight
  14. Fatum1965
  15. Fatum1965
  16. 3M-TA3
  17. Thunder5Ranch
  18. Motomom34
  19. ED GEiN
  20. medicineman
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7