Induction cooking: Intro and poll

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by hitchcock4, Jul 17, 2015.

?
  1. Yes, and I love it

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. Yes, but it has drawbacks so I have stopped using it

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. No, but want to try out induction cooking

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. No, heard of it, not interested

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. No, but I want to learn more

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. hitchcock4

hitchcock4 Monkey++

I have heard about induction cooking and hear that it is pretty energy efficient. Haven't tried it myself yet.
    But for a short-term power outage, and assuming that one has a generator or solar panels, an induction cooking plate or stove would be great.

The general principal is that instead of using heat, an induction plate generates a magnetic field that is transferred to the cooking pot. As a requirement, the cooking container must have a magnetic bottom. As I understand, this means an iron or stainless steel bottom (but could include others). According to Wikipedia, "If a magnet sticks well to the sole of the pan, it will work on an induction cooking surface."

As another benefit, energy is not lost as heat. An induction element that is on would be cool to the touch (except if heat energy is transferred back to it through contact with your cookware).

I do see that at least a couple people have used it as shown in this thread (post 359871 "Going Solar) [Won't let me post the full link do to being a new member] www. survivalmonkey. com/threads/going-solar-help.51950/page-2#post-359871 [remove spaces]

Opinions?

pearlselby likes this.
  2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

hitchcock4 likes this.
  3. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

I have one of the Nuwave PIC units. It has temp controller like an electric skillet and yes, the pot has to respond to a magnet. Cast iron skillets and post work great. I don't use it as often as I proudly should, but really like it when I do use it.

Kajun

pearlselby and Yard Dart like this.
  1. Alanaana
    Media

Dome

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Views

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. JC Refuge
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. Dunerunner
  7. ditch witch
  8. Ganado
  9. martha_mill
  10. DKR
  11. Zimmy
  12. chelloveck
  13. SurvivalJester
  14. Dunerunner