Inexpensive water storage container

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ColtCarbine, Aug 24, 2017.

1. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Here's an inexpensive water storage container. This wouldn't hold up for the long run but would get you by for awhile.

Cost was $70 for the pool and filter pump.

Dimensions are 14 feet in diameter and 26 inches deep.

Holds approximately 2000 gallons. I'll let somebody else do the math on the weight.

20170805_081955.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Had a smaller version - my land isn't perfectly flat so it wouldn't fill up very far before the down hill side collapsed and spilled water. Also the flotation ring needs to be filled at least twice a day. At night when the air gets colder the flotation ring sags a lot. Don't forget a cover...

I finally decided that IBC totes are better that the other solutions even though more expensive - they are permanent, stackable, and you don't have to worry about bugs. You can also use them for several other things like self watering raised plant beds. My plan when I set mine up next year in a free state is to use seven of the 330 gallon totes. Each year one will be used to provide water to the garden then refilled, so I always have between 2,000 and 2,330 gallons of potable water stored (city or otherwise treated water stores at least 10 years).

3. duane

duane Monkey+++

Agree that the IBC totes are much better for water storage, but it is hard to beat a swimming pool, often found free for the takingl with a cover and chlorine, for fire protection. I have one with a battery operated pump that I fill during fire season, hope I never have to use it, but the thought of several hundred gallons of available water to fight a woods fire is very comforting.

4. ColtCarbine

Totally agree there are better means to store water but everybody's situation and budget is different.

As far as the floatation ring goes, this one had been inflated for about 6 weeks and had yet to deflate.

Disclosure:

Would I use this as potable water. Absolutely not in its current state. It would need to be filtered and boiled before I would even think about it.

However, it could be used for bathing and flushing toilets in its current state.

Is this my primary means for water storage...nope.

5. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have a galvanized watering trough roughly the same size, I maintain the level with city water in with a 250 gallon caged container above .
    I have both covered and use a float valve supplied with 1/8" drip system tubing maintaining full .
    Alternatively the water is run to my chickens and plants so there is flow all the time and the water tanks are covered so to keep sunlight out .
    As with all my water, stored or not , it all gets filtered , exterior whole house filters, and in house filters. SOP. beyond the usual filtration ,keeping the sand out of the plumbing saves the valves.
    Also I have an emergency filter 6 gallon bucket with "activated charcoal" ,washed sand , and gravel stainless steel screens , and a spigot at the bottom .
    Also have PPM meters and pool shock as well as UV lights, distillation, and pool water test kits and other means of insuring water purity.
    I have a giger couter of sampling and soon hope to get material for removing radiation from water. "distillation is not enough".

6. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Even though we have great water out of the tap here, I still use a Berkey filter. You could filter the water in the outside pool or other sources with it.

7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

That's the thing , if your already using filters on a daily basis ,it not a culture you have to learn post SHTF , it's just a part of every day life.
    The whole house filter get's checked once a month or so depending on the volume of water used in the house ,and the element is replaced as needed .

ColtCarbine, Motomom34, Hanzo and 2 others like this.
  8. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I like the idea. You could have one in storage and if you have a little bit of advance warning, inflate and fill it. Cover it with a tarp and run the filter as long as possible. Then run the water through a Berkey when you needed it. 2000 gallon / family of 4 = 500 days. Find a way to catch rain water in it and you might have an endless supply. Not bad for $70. I might look at a metal sided one with a liner for a little more longevity.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    ColtCarbine, Motomom34, duane and 2 others like this.
  9. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I'm thinking a Stock Tank next Spring. It's one of those galvanized big tubs used to water stock like horses, cows, and - me. I'm also thinking if it gets to 100F again next summer, like it did this summer, that I will take up residence in it.

ColtCarbine, 3M-TA3 and chelloveck like this.
  10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Good idea to catch rain in it. If it is close enough to the house one could divert their drain pipes into the pool. I like the idea of having one of these pools for usable water. If you covered with a tarp, it would get warmed easily and those pools are not that big so a normal tarp could fit it.

ColtCarbine and T. Riley like this.
  11. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

35,000 gallon in ground with covers and lots of extra shock if needed.... works for me

chelloveck likes this.
  12. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Just bought one of those. The well at the remote property has been tested and meets EPA standards for drinking water, so straight out of the ground it's good. The well is deep, over 600 feet. But I'm not sure about the water storage system that's in place - just a couple of 55 gallon plastic drums and a single filter. As a result we've been bringing bottled water to drink. The Berkey filter will allow us to confidently drink the water that's there rather than hauling in and storing cases. Will try it out the week beginning Labor Day.

Eventually the water system will be upgraded with better filtering, better storage (possibly pressure tanks), and / or maybe a UV treatment tube. The Berkey filter will then be retained as Plan B.

Motomom34, chelloveck and Hanzo like this.
  13. ColtCarbine

That what I purchased this for, escape the heat this summer.

Pretty much what I thought the first day I used it and looked up at my rain gutters.

Bandit99 and Motomom34 like this.
  14. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

I have 6 pools for water storage in the bush . Winter fills & feeder fish keep the mosks out.
    Grab some bulrushes /cattails , pot in buckets to the fish can spawn . Coy fish are too much $ and die in ice .

Sloth

Motomom34 likes this.
  1. Asia-Off-Grid
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Hanzo
  8. Zimmy
  9. Ganado
  10. DKR