Interesting intrusion alert system...

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by sniper-66, Dec 18, 2005.

1. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I have been thinking about installing a driveway alert system for my new house as my driveway is 100 yards long and I don't know someone is coming until they are literally in my front yard. I went on E-slay just to see what is out there. The typical "as seen on TV 19.95" junk is prevelent, however, there are a couple vendors that claim to build their stuff to Mil-spec. It was interesting in that the high dollar items allow you to put up to four sensors on one alarm. Got me a thinking. What if one was to get all four and put them out in the woods surrounding the house. That way, some meth cooker has a couple of hours to burn and wants to walk up around your property while is cook is cooling, viola' instant intrusion detection device!!!
    I know it violates the basic rule of no batteries for SHTF, but until they die, you have a instant protection system. With a solar recharger and some lithium batteries, you could be set. What I don't know is how long the batteries normally last.

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I don't think that violates the no battery rule, since is intended for early warning not a response to an MZB invasion. If you are in BO mode, that stuff stays behind, anyway. If you bug in, you have (we hope) power backups. Solar is good stealth (no generator noise to give away your presence) but not too easy to hide in the woods. You could put the solar panels on the house and run wires, but then why not wire it anyway.

Battery life has too many variables for a good guess. I'd take the system manufacturer's data, cut it in half, and use that for my estimates.

3. sniper-66

Why? Why not take it with you, if it is battery powered, you could set up a helluva perimeter security when you do have to stop. I'll have to think about this a little more. I ended up buying a magnetic detector instead of the IR, three times less than the IR. Working pretty good right now.

4. ghrit

I'll admit to prejudice against weight and bulk. My BOB scenarios all involve minimum weight and maximum speed toward what should be a safe environment. Meaning a location where like minded individuals are to meet, or to where my cache is put up. But of course, if you can haul it, it would be a most excellent thing to have.

5. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

ghrit, you and I are definately older and most likely less fit than sniper66 and most others in this neighborhood. We've got to travel smart AND light.

6. ghrit

Ayuh. :D

7. sniper-66

Oh, I'm not talking on a walking bug out, I'm just as less inclined to carry weight as the next one. I'm talking a driving BO. First off, I have nowhere to walk to, so if i'm not able to drive, it's going to be a bug in for me. Just got the magnetic sensor installed, found an ingenious way to hide it so you can't see it. Been testing it for the last half hour, I'm impressed. I opted for the magnetic sensor as it isn't affected by weather like the IR ones are, but I also have design for the IR ones as well. Go to Home Depot and take a look at what they have now for home surveillance. Miniture cameras that have night capabilities and are no biger than a match box. Interesting times we live in!

8. ghrit

I've been thinking about one of those mini cams and monitors to make life easier hooking up the trailer. Takes me about 3 back and forths to get things lined up to drop the coupler on the ball by myself. Getting a bit interested in that application.

Sorta surprised the magnetic detectors are as effective as you say they are. Sounds good.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7