Recommended Into the Wild

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by tract, Aug 24, 2014.

1. tract

tract On Hiatus Banned

Not sure about this topic thread stuff. :) I read the book about the dumb kid who died in Alaska. He was starving, killed a moose, didn't know how to jerk the meat. He did it with a .22lr rifle, I assume it was a calf and a head shot at 10 yds, but dunno. He put wild potato tubers in plastic bags, and they poisoned him.

Another great read, FAR more likely to mean something to you someday, is John Ross's UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES..

2. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

There is also a movie, based on the book, Into the Wild.

I have neither read the book, nor watched the movie.

Maybe a dumb question, by why would putting wild tubers into a plastic bag poison you? Did they mold and he ate the mold?

3. tract

tract On Hiatus Banned

The author (and maybe the M. examiner were not sure). I've read that sun-exposed (green) potatoes are poisonous, tho.

4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

ghrit, VisuTrac and Brokor like this.
  5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Unintended Consequences
    Unintended Consequences, by John Ross 1996

Into the Wild (related)
    Looking for Help

Alone in the Wild (Documentary)

Sarge Testing Out The Wilderness Survival Concept (excellent video on testing the process in stages)

Alone in the Wilderness (Dick Proenneke)

The Last Trapper (movie - documentary style)

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

"Into the Wild" is the Classic Text, on how NOT to head into the Alaskan Bush, and expect to survive....

7. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Alone in the wilderness, however, is freakin' AMAZING!

8. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Welcome to the tree "tract", look around, there's lot to learn and explore. BTW, I would hazard a guess that 9 out of 10 regular posters here have read "Unintended Consequences, by John Ross."

9. tract

tract On Hiatus Banned

Bet you're grossly off on that estimate. Probably less than half of them have read it.

10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I think more likely 67. 385%. What will you wager on an opinion?

11. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

@ghrit, i'd offer that greater than 67% have a signed copy and have shaken John's hand at KCR

12. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

I read the original story in Outside magazine 20+ years ago written by Jon Krakauer. My vague recollection is it was thought a toxic potato but that was discounted and then specuated a wild pea or mold. I recall not long ago reading that was probably not the cause of death either and it might have been a toxin in some seeds or too much protein from very lean meat and not enough fat or carbs.

Krakauer has written some very interesting and sometimes controversial stuff. "Into Thin Air" was a gripping story of an Everest expedition he was on that went terribly wrong. Also wrote a good read about Pat Tillman.

AT

Yard Dart likes this.
  13. BTPost

Don't believe everything that Krakauer wrote in "Into thin Air" Much of that was very self-serving..... There are other accounts, that dispute some of the incidents, and recollections.....

14. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I wish gunkid would go into the wild bush like the guy in the story.

15. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Yep... that was my controversial reference, several of the other Everest survivors disputed significant events in that book. I haven't heard of similar complaints with his Tillman story but wouldn't surprise me. Still, fiction can be gripping; I used to love Alistair MacLean's books. ;-)

16. BTPost

My BIL's Youngest Brother (First American to summit Everest, without Oxygen) was on that Expedition, and tell quite a different story.....

bagpiper and Airtime like this.
  1. OlDiceGames
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Prepsteader13
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Alanaana
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Thunder5Ranch
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Coyote Ridge