Is a second language part of your preps?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Tully Mars, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

chelloveck and kellory like this.
  2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I fear I have forgotten most of what I have learned over the years due to a lack of use anymore... nor do I have the inclination to travel to those areas that I would need to re-learn any languages...... And as a side note, if you reside in the U.S. you will be speaking English to me.... I should not have to learn your language in "my" country as any form of accommodation.... assimilate into our grand melting pot... or go home IMO.

My ex was Mexican so I used to speak it fairly well.... but I was best at interpreting when I was in trouble with her,... I had lot's of practice :)
    I also had a decent handle on the basics of German and Portugese way back in the day, due to family friends.
    And I knew enough Arabic to communicate with the locals in the middle east on my assorted military adventures.

Now days I still speak Sergeant, Southern English when I have had a few to many, red-head, and dog.... other than that I just smile and listen well. ;)

3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I make up words to describe an object.
    Popcow
    Bou'lon
    Boo'let
    Pumkin-ball
    All mean one thing to me, Bullet

4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

With the spread of marriage equality across the globe....Polari might become the future Lingua Franca! ;) How gay would that be! Yet another obscure language that may enjoy a renaissance in society.

Polari - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  5. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

I hope not. Some cultural traditions should die out. They can drop Polari into the same dust bin as Ebonics.

ditch witch, chelloveck and kellory like this.
  6. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

While I never thought about it in a survival or prepper mindset the working knowledge of another language has it's benefits. After more than 20 years of working and living in the Middle East I have, while not fluent, I would say more than a working knowledge of Arabic. It comes more from convenience than any preplanned need to learn it. I can get around in any city by asking directions or telling a cab driver where I need to go. I can also haggle with merchants and get better prices than a tourist. Once when my wife was visiting me in Cairo we went to the pyramids and all the hawkers were trying to sell her stuff. I would let them rattle on for a few minutes, "For you my friend, only 50 pounds!" Then I would tell them in Arabic "I'm no tourist, I live here and I can buy that same thing in town for 5 pounds". The looks on their faces was priceless.
    Now I have moved to another country where the predominate language is Turkish. So now I am making a concerted effort to learn that. I have my son enrolled in a Turkish day care where they only have a couple of teachers that speak English. He is rapidly learning the language. I have a friend who worked in China for several years when his children were little and he sent them to a local school instead of a private, exclusive one. His daughter speaks fluent Chinese and now works at the United Nations as an interpreter.
    My wife and I travel internationally quite a bit and we always make it a point to learn a few words and phrases in the local language. It has a great effect on people when they see you have taken the time to try and learn some of their language. I have had surly waiters or taxi drivers brighten up and have their whole demeanor change when we thank them in their language or ask how their day is going.
    And it is entirely possible, and quite normal, to understand much more than you can actually speak. I think it is like the brain game where all the letters are scrambled but you have no problem reading the text. Your mind automatically fills in the blanks. I know enough words and phrases that while I may not catch every word I have no problem following the gist of a conversation.
    How beneficial that would be in a survival context I don't know. If I happen to be in a country that I have some working knowledge of the language when a SHTF scenario occurs it would certainly be helpful. But in the US I don't know that my Arabic would help me very much.

7. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

Spanish, I speak it okay, my dads family is hispanic and where I live there are plenty of spanish speakers.

8. chelloveck

That's a little harsh tulian...there's probably a Phd or three in comparative linguistics in either argot ya know! ;)

9. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Ebonics "My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard, they're like, it's better than yours, damn right its better than your, i could teach you, but I'd have to charge.
    Improper translation. Not culturally accurate. Allow me:

Ebonics "My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard, (da homeys dun did run up on me , damn! )they're like, it's better than yours, (dis da shitz!)damn right its better than your (yo ain't got no sheeit) , i could teach you, but I'd have to charge. (I could learn ya good, by popping a cap in yo a$$) (you don't know nothin.)

Around here, Robbin hood, means stealing from your neighbors, and there ain't no merry men, they moved to San frans's disco.

10. tulianr

I've no doubt that a room full of Phds could expound endlessly upon the historical and social relevance of either of these bastardizations of the English language; however, I do not expect a great deal of intelligence out of most academics. English is screwed up enough, without intentionally mangling it further. Just look at what the Aussies have already done to it. :D

11. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

[OO] biglaff

chelloveck likes this.
  12. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

You beat me to it Kellory. I don't know where he got that translation from but it sounds more like "Valleyese" than Ebonics. Jes axe a dog from da hood an he be given ya da 411.

kellory likes this.
  13. chelloveck

The further the distance in time, space and culture a language is exported, the further the pristine quality of the original language is degraded, particularly if the language is adulterated by the dominant pop culture of other places. Perfectly good Australian expressions have unfortunately been replaced by the Dialogue of American soaps, sitcoms and Hollywood juvenilia.

The way the world is going, we'll probably all be speaking Chinglish or Mandarin Chinese in the not too distant future, so any linguistic jingoism concerning the purity of English is probably going to be moot. :(

tulianr likes this.
  14. chelloveck

The embedded link was but a mouse-click away. Urban Dictionary: ebonics

15. tulianr

When I poke fun at someone for adulterating the English language, I am definitely throwing rocks from my two-story glass house, growing up, as I did, speaking the extreme southern dialect of American-English. My first extended visit to England convinced me that I hadn't been speaking "English" at all. I could totally stop conversation in a small pub by opening my mouth. It took years before I could even pass as a Canadian.

Linguistics, while perhaps not the most important survival consideration, is worth taking into account; and not only for the communication aspect, though that would be primary. Linguistics affect us every day in ways of which we may not be consciously aware. Think about how various accents are perceived by yourself, and by others. If someone approaches you for assistance, after their appearance, the first thing that you notice about them is their accent. How you react to them, may very well be influenced by their accent.

A young man approaches you, dressed non-nondescriptly in jeans and a tee shirt, seeking assistance. He's well-spoken, good enunciation, no accent to speak of. A second young man, same age and ethnicity as the first, wearing similar clothing, approaches you. This one though uses the vernacular of the "hood," with all the associated gestures and body language. Are you as likely to provide assistance to the second young man as the first?

Consciously or not, we immediately make judgements about individuals based on their vocabulary and accent. In America, a person with a British accent is usually perceived as intelligent, and sophisticated; while a person with a Slavic or Middle Eastern accent is often perceived as less intelligent, less sophisticated. It matters not whether they are a mindless thug, or a physics professor, their accent will provide the first piece of information used to make an appraisal of the individual.

And people make those same judgements about us, based on our dialect and vocabulary. Much talk is devoted to being the "gray man," to not standing out in a crowd, particularly in a post-SHTF environment. The cloak of blandness can quickly be ripped away when you find yourself in an unfamiliar neighborhood and open your mouth to speak, and what comes out doesn't sound like everyone else's words. How you speak could, in some situations, be as important as what clothes you are wearing by instantly marking you as an outsider. Something to consider.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7