Is burning alcohol indoors safe?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Prepper12, Aug 17, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Prepper12

Prepper12 Monkey+

I was contemplating what I could do for indoor heat in an extended power outage during the Winter. I don't have a fireplace or wood burning stove. But I found a trick online where you can put a roll of toilet paper in a coffee can, then fill it the rest of the way with 70% alcohol, and light it.

I've seen videos on Youtube where it's claimed that it's safe to use these in an enclosed room. That would be perfect since it could be a fire to cook with while at the same time heat the room. At the same time though, other sources tell me that it's NOT safe to do this. They say that alcohol doesn't burn completely and therefore generates carbon monoxide. Well, both sources can't be true, so I thought I should ask here before trying it.

So, is it safe to burn alcohol (isopropyl alcohol 70%) indoor in an enclosed room in the Winter?

SB21 and duane like this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Short answer, NO, it is not safe! Any thing you burn will create carbon monoxide and other toxins, it's the amounts that are different between differing fuels! In this case, the Toilet paper is going to be creating far more toxic compounds then just the strait alcohol, which it's self will also create toxins and carbon monoxide! Besides all that, Alcohol is a very poor source of BTU's it does not have a very high octane rating, and by volume, is one of the worse sources of BTU's One thing to also remember here, is: ALL fuels will use Oxygen, some more then others, but all will displace the o2 burned with Carbon Monoxide, which is very bad for you!
    For a fuel driven system, LP or Propane would be more ideal, or Kerosene ( and it's hybrids) as these are much more efficient in making BTU's but also much more dirty!

Motomom34, Dunerunner, Brokor and 4 others like this.
  3. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

In short, no. Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of combustion. How much is produced is the biggie, and is why I would strongly recommend a CO monitor/alarm for any combustible heat source.
    Another aspect not mentioned is how airtight the space is. A drafty shanty is going to be more...forgiving...of CO than a tightly sealed new home, but the risk is still there.
    And I would look for 90 or 92% rather than 70% ;)

john316, sec_monkey, duane and 2 others like this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Start looking to install a nice Woodburner in the living room wall with external air input to the firebox and an external Stovepipe thru the wall, to a vertical external stove pipe above the roofline…

5. BenP

BenP Monkey++

in an extended power outage if you do not have a wood stove your best bet is a warm sleeping bag, warm clothes and some canned food. Burning a fire of any kind indoors will kill you sooner or later. If you must have a fire go outside and build one.

6. john316

john316 Monkey+++

"So, is it safe to burn alcohol (isopropyl alcohol 70%) indoor in an enclosed room in the Winter?"
    YES.........I USE 95% alcohol............works a lot better than a 30% water mixture
    AND you do have to think about ...Carbon monoxide
    BUY AND INSTALL AND USE A BATTERY POWERED "Carbon monoxide" DETECTOR
    if the detector go off, you must vent the space some
    ANYONE WHO USES AN OPEN FLAME IN THE HOUSE SHOULD HAVE ONE
    IF YOUR OPEN FLAME IS PROPANE...............you need a propane detector NEAR EVERY FLAME
    IF YOUR OPEN FLAME IS NATURAL GAS.......you need a natural gaS DETECTOR NEAR FLAME

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS
    TO SEE WHAT THE DETECTOR CAN DO, WILL DO, WHERE IT SHOULD BE LOCATED
    AND WHAT YOU SHOULD DO IF IT GOES OFF

YOU CAN BUY A DETECTOR THAT WILL DO ALL 3 FOR UNDER $100.00
    "
    1. Propane gas is heavier than air while natural gas is lighter

The relative density of propane gas when compared to air is 1.56. Propane gas is, therefore, heavier than air. When there is a leak, it will accumulate at the lowest points such as basements, sewer drains, etc.

Natural gas, on the other hand, is lighter than air. The relative density when compared to air is 0.63. Consequently, natural gas will always rise when there is a leak.

upload_2021-8-18_12-12-50.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. john316

john316 Monkey+++

8. JediWoodsman

JediWoodsman Insomnia Monkey

I use two Perfection brand Kerosene heaters for winter at the camp, you do need to be aware of CO and vent appropriately. I also have some of those heat powered fans that help move the warm air around.
    Picked mine up for about $30 each and refurbished them, and you can buy "odor free kero" at tractor supply if you have a household member that doesn't like the diesel/kero smell, but it will cost you like $12+ a gal, i just use the gas station kero.

-JW

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. Prepper12

Prepper12 Monkey+

Are you saying that using a 95% alcohol in the coffee can/toilet paper/alcohol project I was talking about would be safe to use indoors while the 70% alcohol would not? That would explain why I've seen some internet discussions claiming it's perfectly safe while others say it's not. It would depend on which alcohol purity is being used. Is that correct? I didn't think that would make a difference since the non-alcohol part is simply water and wouldn't factor into whether or not CO is being produced. At least that was my interpretation of it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

10. BTPost

ANY BURNING of hydrocarbons in a closed atmosphere is dangerous for CO poisoning, PERIOD… Your only protection is a CO Detector…

3cyl, john316 and JediWoodsman like this.
  11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Alcohol stoves are what is used in sailboats because gasoline settles at the floor level, however, the alcohol evaporates into the atmosphere, leaving no trace in the compartment, the lesser likelihood of fire on board.
    Any flame will consume the oxygen in its environment so even candles can be a threat if in a closed environment.
    Most homes equipped with gas-burning appliances usually have an air duct providing more air for the flame and in some cases even a vent for the exhaust to the out side.
    So alcohol is safer than gas in some respects, but with all things, it's best to error on the side of safety.

chelloveck likes this.
  12. Prepper12

Prepper12 Monkey+

I've seen Kerosene heaters that are intended for indoors. Here's one I found on Amazon. Would it be any better or worse than burning with an alcohol type heater? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0099FRIPW/?tag=survivalmonke-20

13. BTPost

Where I lived in bush Alaska, we used Aladdin BlueFlame Kerosene Heaters to supplement our Cabin heat when things got really cold. (>-10F). As long as they were in use, we kept a window cracked, and a CO Detector in our bedroom area.. And just a NOTE on CO… My son, a senior ParaMedic in SLC, had a NG Domestic Hot Water Heater in his home… Well they decided that a CO Detector would be a very good idea, since most of there appliances were NG fueled… So two weeks ago they went to Home Despot and bought two, one for each floor… Then last weekend, the CO Detector in the basement went off at 2Am in the morning, so his wife called him at work, and asked him what to do… He told her to get herself, the kids, and the doggie, out of the House NOW, and then call 911 and get the FireGuys there, ASAP… WELL, THEY CAME WITH LIGHTS AND SIRENS blaring and found a bad nozzel on the water heater burner, and a CO Level 200% above deadly and rising… They brought fans to clear the house and shut down the NG until the Gas Guys could fix the burner and check out all the other NG Appliances… Son went and bought a Household sized On Demand NG WATER Heater for their house and installed it with a vent to the fireplace chimney..
    Then the family Gave Thanks to Their God, for the inspiration to buy the CO Detectors…

STGThndr and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. Prepper12

Prepper12 Monkey+

I just wanted to point out a source that claims that alcohol does not put out carbon monoxide. It's a company that sells what looks like a commercial version of the toilet paper homemade version. Here's what they say in their FAQ about whether or not it's safe to use inside:

Can I really burn it inside?
    Yep! We do recommend reading our page on soot and carbon monoxide for the full science scoop. Suffice here to say that isopropyl alcohol produces a complete combustion when burned. So in a properly ventilated space, soot is only put where the flame touches (nothing on your ceiling or surfaces!) and there is no carbon monoxide.
    FAQ

Any opinions on this?

15. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

From their own website:
    While some fuels produce carbon monoxide as a bi-product of burning, isopropyl alcohol does not. However in the absence of enough oxygen ANY fuel (even a cigarette lighter) can begin to produce carbon monoxide...

Double-speak...draw your own conclusions.

16. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Alcohol is a fuel I don't use much anymore. Partly due to expense, but mostly due to low BTU output. There's also the invisible-in-daylight flame. That can create its own problems. The paper towel roll and alcohol would get very unpleasant as soon as the paper towels started to burn and smoke. Alcohol will burn very well without any wick, or a non-flammable wick. Look up Cat and Super Cat alcohol stoves. All of these will spill liquid alcohol and create a fire hazard. A Coleman pressure lamp, on the other hand, will burn normally upside down until it's starved of liquid fuel.

[​IMG]

Remember, before electricity, homes were commonly lit with gas and kerosene lamps, and heated with kerosene. The Amish still use mantle lamps and open flame heaters, although today they're leaning toward propane. All of these fuels burn in lamps and stoves more efficiently than a roll of paper towels soaked in alcohol. It's all about adequate ventilation and complete combustion. Home designs have changed. Central A/C means they can be much more tightly sealed. Some are tight enough that oxygen deprivation is as much an issue as carbon monoxide poisoning. A poorly functioning gas pressure appliance or wick style heater that doesn't achieve efficient combustion will create excessive CO. One of my catalytic heaters had a substantial manufacturers recall/bounty on it after its incomplete combustion killed five people.

[​IMG]

I've heated and lit the beach house during winter power outages with two kerosene Aladdin 23 lamps. If I had to do it again I'd use a three burner Coleman stove and my Perfection heater for heat and Coleman Kero-Lites for light. The house has 16' ceilings and being on the Coast, it's pretty drafty without even trying. My CO detectors have never made a peep, and I run Coleman lamps, both white gas and kerosene inside pretty much all year round. Learning how cleanly your chosen heat source operates, and how the air flow in your home works with open flame heat is something that's good to know before you need it.

Full disclosure: I wore a jacket three days all last winter.

17. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

18. Prepper12

Prepper12 Monkey+

Now you see why I'm confused on the subject? :LOL:

19. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Closely read ColtCarbine's provided link above. There are several options, most of which are superior to the toilet paper/alcohol stove route.

20. Prepper12

Prepper12 Monkey+

Interesting! Thanks for that link!
    Well, it sounds like they think rather highly of it as a clean fuel that can be used indoors, although not so keen on the paint can/toilet paper idea because of the open flames and fire hazard. I would think that if it were kept away from anything flammable, it could be ok. I know candles aren't really recommended anymore for emergency lighting either for the same reason.

I've always wondered why it's a roll of toilet paper that used in the paint can. Since it's function is as a wick, couldn't a bunched up rag do the trick? Or maybe a wooden dole?

1. hot diggity
  2. Motomom34
  3. Illini Warrior
  4. ColtCarbine
  5. Thunder5Ranch
  6. DKR
  7. TnAndy
  8. Grandpa Patch
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Ganado
  11. oil pan 4
  12. HK_User